Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Shoshone journal. [volume] (Shoshone, Idaho) 1884-1931
Shoshone, Idaho (1884-1931)
- Shoshone journal. [volume] : (Shoshone, Idaho) 1884-1931
- Alternative Titles:
- Shoshone journal and the southern Idaho Democrat
- Place of publication:
- Shoshone, Idaho
- Geographic coverage:
- Logan Co., W.C.B. Allen
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 49, no. 31 (Aug. 7, 1931).
- Began in Apr. 1884.
- Shoshone (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Absorbed: Southern Idaho Democrat, Aug. 4, 1916.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 18 (May 2, 1885).
- Published in: Shoshone journal and the southern Idaho Democrat, Aug. 4, 1916-Jan. 5, 1917.
- sn 86063039
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
In 1878 and 1879, silver and lead were discovered in Idaho's Wood River Valley. What would become the town of Shoshone grew as a gateway to the new mining region. Just a few years later, the Oregon Short Line Railroad was constructed through town, and a branch was built to the Wood River area. The area, including Bellevue and Hailey, had previously only been served by wagons and stagecoaches. At this time, the town was named Junction City. In 1882 a post office was built, and the town adopted the name Shoshone. It was a railroad town almost from its inception, but other industries contributed to its growth as well. Many who raised sheep, including newly immigrated Basques, wintered large bands near Shoshone. The town acted as a supply station for these sheep herders. Shoshone's first newspaper, the Shoshone Rustler, began printing in 1883. The City of Shoshone was officially incorporated in 1902.
The Shoshone Journal was published in Shoshone, Idaho from 1884–1931. The paper published weekly on Fridays with eight pages and five columns, changing to eight pages with six columns in 1908. R.M. McCollum acted as the first editor, with Journal Printing Company publishing. The Journal, a Republican publication,was the official paper of Lincoln County. Statewide news was covered in the "Idaho State News" column. Local news, including social events and school news, was covered in the "Local and General Round Up." Local legal news was covered in a column titled "Around the Courthouse." The Journal also published the proceedings of Lincoln County Commissioners.
The Journal covered a variety of significant local events. Irrigation and infrastructure improvements were popular topics as the town grew. The paper also reported on the opening of the Fort Hall Reservation to white settlement. The Journal covered the county boundary disputes between Logan and Lincoln county and even feuded with another local paper, the Bellevue Herald, over the issue.
The Shoshone Journal was succeeded by the Lincoln County Journal, which publishes to this day.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society