Newspaper Page Text
THE NASHVILLE GLOBE, FRIDAY OCTOBER 21, 1910.
S MINISTERS' AND DEACONS' MEETING. i Among the important meetings to ; lx held during the montn of November will be the meeting of the ministers and deicons at Hermitage, Tenn., November 25-27, to be held in the Evans I II II Baptist Church. This coming together will be under the di rect supervision of Rev. I. J. Jordan, District Missionary, who will call (lie meeting to order at 10 a. m. The following is the program: devotions, Iter. John Slaughter, welcome ad dress by the pastor, Rev. John Frank 'lin; response, Rev. R. L. Alexander; introductory sermon. Dr. C II. Clark; collection and adjournment. Afternoon Session. ; Devotions, Rev. A. W. Porter; dis cussion, "Qualification and Duty of Deacons," by Rev. S. S. Cumby; doc trinal sermon, (at 8 p. m.) by Rev. O. B. Taylor; collection and adjourn ment. . SECOND DAY Mobninq cession. ; Devotions at 9 a. m. by Rev. I. C. Sfcerron; discussion, "Divine Form of Government, Rev. E. F. Gooch; ser mon, on baptism, Rev. T. A. Brown; collection and adjournment. Afternoon Session. Devotion, Rev. J. C. Fields; discus sion, "Duty of Deacon to Pastor," Rev. J. T. Townsend; devotion, Ret. X. C. Crosby, at 8 p. vs.; sermon by Rar. B. F. Ferrell; collection and ad joarnment. THIRD DAY Mornino Session... Sunday-school by Missionary Jor dan; sermon at 11 a. m. by Rev. J. T. Tunstill; collection and adjourn ment . Mass-Mf.ktinq 3 P. M. Sermon by Rev. W. P. Hall and oth itts; collection and adjournment; de votion by Rev. R. D. Black; sermon by Missionary Rev. I. J. Jordan; collec tion and adjournment. MEHARRY STUDENTS HEAR AN EXCELLENT LECTURE. We listened with deep interest to the helpful address delivered by the Hon. J. C. Napier at 3:30 p. m. on last Sunday. His subject was one which contained points touching the likea of every one. "Choosing a Way" is a topic that could only have leen discussed by one versed on all pkases of life. The speaker's illus tration of Paul was clearly brought out On last Friday evening the commit tee in aid of the George W. Hubbard Hospital entertained a large number of Nashville's society folks In exhibit ing such a remarkable scene as Damon and Pythias at the Auditorium. The pictures were in every way interest ing. Motion pictures are fast becom ing the means of showing the dead in Its originality. The' crowd spoke well for the interest that is being manifested by those in authority, whose ambition it is to raise a struc ture not only to be a signal aid to tfie colored population of this sec tion, but one which shall be used as a reminder of the noble deed done by r devoted Dean. , We desire to thank the dear people of Nashville for their kind assistance. , Dr. G. W. Hubbard Is now in Chi cago on business of importance. Dr. R. F. Boyd, of Mercy ' Hospital, left the city for Greenville, Miss., t attend the funeral a member of his society. During his ansence the care oi the institution has fallen in the kmdfl of Dr. John O. Taylor, the chief interne. Dr. J. A. McMillan, our distinguished Professor of Chemistry m(L one of the surgeons on the clini cal staif, performed a most critical re-atlon at 11:15 a. m. Tuesday. Dr. McMillan was ably . assisted by Dr. C O. Hadley. The members of the Senior Medlcai Glass were requested by Dr. J. T. Wilson to appear at his Infirmary, wheie their pictures were taktn. This wi.l bring the students In closer touch with their friend and instruc tor.. Miss Watson, head nurse at Mercy Hospital having been called out on .a critical case, the next In priority, Kiss Louise Farmer, has taken her place a3 heJd nurse. We are delighted to welcome Dr. A. D. C. Robb, a graduate of our school, who, sin e his g aduation, has spared to time in accumulating all informa tion along the line of medicine and aurgery. Dr. Robb has often been styled the "Perfect Student." His achievements should only serve as an insni'atin to. all. The faithful Btudents of Meharry are re o ting in large numbers at St Paul Churoh every Sunday morning, in pursuit of their biblical studies un der Dr. C. V. Roman. The young ladies of the Literary Department of Walden University have oranred a basketball team under the management of Miss Yates. The following ladies appeared at Gay Street Christian Church under the superintendence of Miss Braden: Hisses Maude J. Roberts, Claretha Mickens, Mary Allbrltton. The occa sion was also favored by the presence of Dr. J. A. Kumler, President of the University. The young ladies of the University will attend the "Autumn Festival of the G. W. Hubbard Hospital Club" at the Odd Fellow's Hall Tuesday eve ning, November 1.' Mrs. Hales evening. The Misses Minnie Mai Williams, Mary Albritton, Claretha Mickens and Florida Williams entertained at sup rer on Walden campus at-6:30 p. m. last Sunday Messrs. Maclin, Rhine, Fullibve and G. Hamilton Francis. ST. ELI U. P. BAPTIST CHURCH. St. Eli U P. Baptist Church had its second and last Union Meeting for the yr ar Saturday morning, October 15, 1910. Th? meeting was opened with song and prayer by Rev. Hunter, after which Rev. Martin.. Slater filled the rostrum and preached a most wonder ful sermon. Rev. R. Estleman also preached an able sermon. Preaching was continued Saturday night by Revs. Martin and R. Eetleman. They had a very nice Sunday-school Sun day morning with preaching at 11 o'clock by Rev. Slater, followed by Rev. R. Estleman. Communion was administered in it3 usual form. There was a great number of visitors pres ent from various churches and a large crowd was in attendance all through the meeting. The meeting adjourned Monday night. DEATHS. Henry Clark, 1215 West Cedar street, GO years of age. Annie Benson, City Hospital, 40 years. Henry Curley Martin, Ebenezer, 48 years. Amos Hyde, Tennessee Chemical, West Nashville, 24 years. Mary Watson, Wilson's Infirmary, 19 years. Eveleni Freeman, 1013 South street, 1 year. Jas. Frewlngton, ,1514 Hamilton street, C7 years. Leceal J. C. Dean, 25 Perkins street, 24 years. Tennie Lon Broyles, rear 1613 Jo Johnston avenue, 35 years. Ernest Beasley, Gerst avenue, 1 month. Millie Miller, 904 Fifteenth avenue, South, 1 year. Infant of Wiley and Mary Chavers, rear 40G Sixth avenue, South. Henry DoJurnette, rear 1104 Shank land allev, 40 years. Wm. White, Jr., 803 Ewing avenue, 20 years. David and Jonathan Crawford, 1626 Hamilton street, 2 months. Henry Word, 917 Horton street, SG years. Scott Lax, 1021 Fourth avenue, North, 1 year. Bell Medlow, 1617 Pearl street, 32 years. Georgd Davis, 420 Fourth avenue, South. 45 years. Infant of Ada Williams, 1402 Phil lips street. Infant of Minnie Dierman, 40S Fourteenth avenue, North. Benj. Mosley, 1307 Grant street, 30 years. Mattie Williams, 3 miles on Dicker son Pike, 32 years. MARRIAGES. John C. Maddux and Jeannetta J. Chalghead. Isaac Newton Starnes and Willie Helena McCline. Arthur Southers and Dovle Donald. Sidney Sanders and Sallle Doug lass. Robert Brown and Amanda Harris. Ben Joe Jenkins and Alllne Wood. Lee Boyd and Janle Knowles. Everett Burnett and Eva Rucker. D. Webb and Ella Brown. Isaac Bell and Mandy Scruggs. Walter Paschall and Florence Bright. Isaac Carney and Myrtle Overton. MEMERS OF SUNSHINE HOME WILL BE ADDRESSED BY REV R. H. THORBOURNE. The Christian Workers' Foreign Mis sionary Society will hold Its regular monthly meeting Monday night, Oc tober 24. Rev. R. H. Thorbourne, of Panama, wi'l address the meeting. The members are especially Invited to be present, as we need to make plans for the winter work. Our friends are invited to come and enjoy the pro gram. Mrs. M. H. Flowers has returned from a pleasant visit to Knoxvllle. BISHOP TYREE AT ST. PAUL. Bishop Evans Tyree will preach a srelal sermon Sunday morning at U o'clock at St. Paul A. M. E. Churoh. Swlal music. Public cordially In vited. MOVED IN NEW HOME. (Miss Lucy M. Patterson, one of the teachers of the city schools, is now comfortably domiciled in a beautiful new home In Scovel street. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Patterson and mother are also located In this home. The house is just completed and Is one of pleas ing design, being conveniently ar ranged with all modem improvements. BRYANT-KRAUSE. Invitations are out announcing the marriage of Miss Bessie O. Krause, of Brazoria, Tex., and. Dr. Theo. O. Bryant, of Houston, Texas, to take place Wednesday, October 26, 1910, at 2 o'clock. Miss Krause i3 a very accomplished "young woman and ba3 for several years been a teacher in the public schools of Houston. Dr. Bryant is the eldest son of Mrs. M. E. Bryant, of this city, and a brother of Mr. Ira T. Bryant, Secretary and Treasurer of the A. M. E. Sunday School Union. Dr. Bryant enjoys a lucrative practice in Houston. COMING TO TENNESSEE. Rev. M. W. Gilbert, D. D.. who ha3 been pastor of the Mt. Olivet Church, New York, for the -past six yeai has accepted the pastorate of the Mount Zion Baptist Church, of Knoxville, succeeding Dr. L. a. Car ter, who was recently appointed Chap lain in the United States Army. Dr. Gilbert at one time pastored the First Baptist Church, of this city, and his coming to Tennessee will be hailed with pleasure, as he ranks as a high class gospel preacher. He Is promi nent in the affairs of his denomina tion. THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. "The Prodigal Son" will be the subject of Rev. W. S. Ellington's discourse Sunday morning, October 23. The church choir will be ably assisted by musical talent from Fisk Universi ty, Meharry Medical College and Ro ger Williams University. PRESTON TAYLOR WILL PREACH AT PLEASANT GREEN SUNDAY. Rey. Preston Taylor will preach at Pleasant Green Baptist Church at 11 a. m. Sunday, October 23. At 3 p. m. Rev. J. H. Harding and his people will be present and he will preach at that hour. The entire public is in vited. HOWE OPENS ITS TWENTY-SECOND SESSION. The twent3'-second session of Howe Institute, Memphis, Tenn., opened Monday, October 4, under very favo rable auspices. The spacious chapel was filled with students and friends, among whom were special educational and religious workers. - Revs. A. D. Hurt. W. J. McMichael, T. J. Searcy, and A. L. Bartlett, Sisters V. W. Broughton. C. MeachiJm, A. Cotton, A. D. Hurt and E. Searcy made force iblo and encouraging addresses. The special program arranged by the fac ulty was also interesting and was opened -with singing and the reading of the 9th chanter of Proverbs by Principal T. O. Fuller, All departments opened well. The new features of our work are Domes tie Science, which teaches our young ladies the proper preparation of food, with the most modern conveniences, S'as ranges and the economic use of gas; and our Manual Training De partment under Prof. v. L. Stroud. The young men are eager to become architects, carpenters and painters, and have made an excellent begin ning. The young ladies are also grasp ing the opportunity to learn free hand and mechanical drawing. Of the nine states represented in our student body, Arkansas is vying with Mississippi for the lead in the num ber of Btudents. Principal Fuller gave a brief his tory of the growth of the school and the valuable assistance received from all sources for the past nine years, which was listened to with marked attention. Thus closed the launching of the banner year. DICKSON NOTES. .The "Harvest 'Home" and forty-second anniversary of the St. James A. M. IE. Church was indeed a success financially, intellectually and spirit ually. It was a three-night affair; the church altar was decorated with the fruits and vegetables of the season, and the different kinds of preserves. The choir stand was beautifully dec orated with different kinds of needle work and embroidery done by ladies and young misses of tne church. The first night was a declamatory contest between eleven young misses of the school, which Indeed was the very best ever witnessed In the city. Miss Llla Rogers won the first prize, the second by Miss Floy Knight. Much praise was given to the others for their noble efforts. Most of the reci tations were selected from Dr. G. W. Porter's book of poems. We are In deed proud to know mat our children can now recite beautiful and inspir ing poems from colored authors. The second night all of the churches were represented by speakers. Mr. Ilobson represented the First Baptist Church and made a splendid defense for the Baptists. Sister Marsh repre sented the M. E. Church. She Is known to make good with anything she attempts to do; wish we could tell you all about It. She is indeed a mother In Israel. Prof. E. G. Bell made a most Interesting talk on the I Special to Men FALL SUITS All wool-Black-Blue-Colors All the new styles, regular $20.00 values x h gO)50 Men's Shoes, all HIKSHBEKG BROS. ON THE CORNFR UlII AVE ZZ3L 7. y7. PIANOS BEAUTIFUL MANY The finest piano that money and skill can produce, extra massive case, extra finely fin ished; made only in the best fancy figured burl walnut and finely figured mahogany or quartcr sawed oak;, double veneered inside and out, is what the National Baptist Pub lishing Board offers in their many styles of pianos. Such as styles 5, 0, 10, 12 and 14. The tone of these instruments is unexcelled for its exquisite quality. v v Ah v. THE ARTIST UPRIGHT GRAND PIANOS f.tts v. 1 arc pre-eminent. The tone is clear, liquid, mellow and well sustained and affords in all the registers a harmony clear and equal; and .of that sympathetic nature which, under the hands of an artist, arouses the enthusiasm of the listener. The prices and terms are with in reach of all. V fitw FOR FURTHER INFORMATION APPLY TO THE National Baptist Publishing Board, 523 SECOND AVENUE, NORTH, NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE. vTl y7. 7 ,"7. s- - i rv .V .V life of bishop Allen. This young man will some day De placed in the galaxy of great men if he continues to pursue this course. Mr. W. T. Jackson was the spokesman for St. James and gave a brief but interesting history of the local church. He was the Salvates of the evening. Sunday morning the pastor, Rev. M. H. Shelby, B. D., preached a most thoughtful and powerful sermon on the "Harvest Home" and at night services everybody was made happy. The members of the church are to be commended for this great effort in helping the pastor to make it a suc cess. The Colored Republican Club of Dickson on last Wednesday had an en thusiastic meeting. This club has 58 regularsi, of whom Mr. E. T. Bell Is secretary. The chairman, Rev. W. H. Fhelbv, with bis followers are arous ing the colored voters of Dickson I County. styles, all leathers Church St. Si SALE STYLES IN GRADES. Rev. J. II. Thompson, the new pas tor of Boman'e Chapel M. E. Church, preached his first sermon Sunday. Prospects are bright for this young man. Miss Maggie Cunningham left for Indianapolis for an indefinite stay. Miss Emma Knight has returned from a pleasant trip to Murrreesboro, Tenn. Mrs. Rilda Tidwell, of Iron Hill, Tenn., was in Dickson to see the "Har vest Home" exercisea. Misses Allie B. Porter, Bessie Tid well, Beulah Suggs and Eva Cunning ham, who are teachers of the District schools, returned home to witness the "Harvest Home" entertainment. Messrs. Jim Works, Thomas Robin son and Mrs. Dora Clark are on the sick list this week. Dr. Miles is the attending physician. Rev. W. H. Shelby made a hasty trip to NaRhville on urgent business.