About The Carrollton Democrat. (Carrollton, Miss.) 18??-18??
Carrollton, Miss. (18??-18??)
- The Carrollton Democrat. : (Carrollton, Miss.) 18??-18??
- Place of publication:
- Carrollton, Miss.
- Geographic coverage:
- S.A. Nelson
- Dates of publication:
- Carrollton (Miss.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 8, no. 22 (Feb. 3, 1860).
- sn 86074082
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Independent Democrat, Mississippi Democrat and The Carrollton Democrat
Carroll, a cotton-producing county straddling the eastern edge of the fertile Yazoo-Mississippi River Delta and adjacent hill country in northwest Mississippi, was established in 1833. Carrollton became the county seat one year later.
Carrollton had at least two weekly, antebellum Democratic newspapers. The four-page Mississippi Democrat (1844-48?) began in Canton, Mississippi as the Independent Democrat (1842-44); however, due to ill health, proprietor/editor John Handy transferred ownership of the Independent to lawyer E. G. Henry. The newspaper carried the typical mid-century mix of content, including general interest stories, poetry, legal notices, and advertisements, but, was primarily a political paper with many lengthy editorials denouncing Whig principles in general and Henry Clay's politics in particular. Subsequent owners moved the paper to Carrollton in 1844, changed the title, and adopted the motto "The best Government is that which governs least." Mexican-American War coverage predominated, including an October 21, 1846 account of the Carroll County Volunteers, a company in the renowned First Mississippi Regiment, known as the Mississippi Rifles and commanded by Colonel Jefferson Davis, at the battle of Monterey. There are no known issues of the Mississippi Democrat after 1848.
The only extant issue of the four-page Carrollton Democrat (1852?-1860?), Volume 8, Number 22 dated February 3, 1860, reflected Southern sentiments on the eve of the Civil War: ". . . it is the duty of Congress to protect the slaveholder in the enjoyment of his rights, in the common territories." Unsurprisingly, the paper supported the southern Democratic Party candidate for President, Kentuckian John C. Breckinridge. The nearby completion of the Mississippi Central railroad was an important regional story; in a few short years, that railroad would become a target of Federal troops.
Provided by: Mississippi Department of Archives and History