Newspaper Page Text
\\\ x . ?» r* m A O A •Sup V 4 l ? Sr* r % -ni s / ? r t X ; »ft. >: k ---. 1-..U Wf4*Ti ? r WKÊF 3 ? er ÇM ! ' If : :, S* ■ I i INTERIOR VIEW OF A. KRIEGER & COMPANY'S FURNITURE STORE. Krieger Brothers. Since the earliest seventies no family lias been better known throughout the Black Hills, South Dakota, and eastern Montana than that of August Krieger, who died at Livingston, Montana, August 4, 1884, leaving his two sons, F. A. and Otto, in sole charge of his flourishing enterprise. F. A. Krieger, the senior member, is a native of Winona, Minnesota, born November 17, 1856. Otto Krieger, the junior member, is also a na tive of Winona, Minnesota, born August, 1858. While the children were very young the Krieger family left the state of their birth, and after locat ing in several different states, finally engaged in the furniture business at Deadwood, South Dakota, in 1876. After passing through the great fire there of 1879, everything going up in the flames with no in surance, still undismayed they began rebuilding on the hot ashes on the morning following. In 1882 the Krieger Brothers came overland from Deadwood to Coulson (now Billings), Montana, and started in business by opening a tinware and hardware store, finally drifting back to carrying a stock of furniture, which was the pioneer establish ment of the kind in that place. Being attracted by the prospects at the end of the road they removed to Clark City in October, 1882, where they established the pioneer furniture store, and were soon after joined by their father, mother and sister Ella. In 1890 the Krieger Brothers purchased the grocery store of N. C. Matheson, and was known as Krieger & Co. They finally located a branch store at Horr under the firm name of Krieger Bros. & Banon, later selling their interests there to the Montana Coke and Coal Trading company, and the main store at Liv ingston to S. M. Parks. They were among the promoters of the Park Coal and Coke company and the Livingston Electric Light company, while Otto was director of the Liv ingston National bank from its organization until 1893. F. A. has been one of the directors of the National Park bank of Livingston since its organiza tion, and was alderman from the Second ward dur ing the reign of Mayor Harvey. Otto K. was mar ried in 1894 to Miss Carrie Johnson, of New York. It can be said that the Krieger family have never been separated since the death of the father, as Livingston has been their home as well as the cen ter of all their business operations, and are today numbered among the most popular families of the city, having many acquaintances and consequently many friends. The furniture and furnishing establishment of A. Krieger & Co. is situated on Main street and con tains a stock of first-class furniture, glassware, bar goods, crockery, matting, oil cloth, carpets and wall paper, childrens' carriages, sewing machines and pianos and organs, while special attention is given to undertaking. They have done and are doing a large business, and in return liave entered heart and hand into the work of building up the town and country and contributing to its development and prosperity by their influence and material efforts. J* CHARLES A. BURG—Postmaster. Few names in Livingston are more widely known throughout Park county than that of Charles A. Burg, the present postmaster. He was born in Ger many in 1849, and presents the true type from Father land, by his genial disposition and sympathetic na ture, always calling forth a wide circle of friends. His education was obtained in the public schools of his native country, terminating in a course at the Military School in Frankfort-on-the-Main. He emi grated to the United States in the spring of 1865, landing at St. Anthony, Minnesota, where he was at once employed at the quartermaster's office at St. Paul, remaining in this service for two years. He Hi tr CHARLES A. BÜRO now undertook lumbering at the head of the Missis sippi river, remaining until the summer of 1876. In August of this year he came to Montana, contract ing for the government in the Tongue river region until the spring of 1878. Mr. Burg is one of the fathers of Livingston, having embarked in its enterprises when it was known as Clark City. He was manager for the mer cantile company of Orschel Brothers until the fall of 1887, when he engaged in business for himself until July, 1890. At this time he was appointed by Presi dent Harrison as register of the land office at Lewis town, Montana, remaining in this position until July 5, 1894. He now^returned to Livingston and on July 8, 1897, was appointed postmaster by President Mc Kinley, where he is now faithfully discharging his duties to the entire satisfaction of the public. Mr. Burg was married June 21, 1880, to Cynthia F. Weymouth, daughter of Judge Weymouth of Marsliall, Minnesota. He is the happy father of four children—two girls and two boys. j/t FRANK BENDER—Police Magistrate. Of the self-made men of Park county the subject of this sketch is prominent on the list. He was born in New York city, March 9, 1860, but when seven years old removed with his parents to the sis ter city of Brooklyn, where at the age of sixteen he completed the high school course, subsequently go ing to Sparta, Wisconsin. Here he finished his edu cation by a select course at the normal. In 1879 he located at Minneapolis, Minnesota, and for two and one-half years worked in the printing office of John son, Smith & Harrison. Sometime in the spring of 1882 he came to Miles City, Montana, the end of the railroad, and was engaged in buying and handling supplies. In March, 1883, Mr. Bender went into the V JUDGE FRANK BENDER. stock-ranching business in Park county, but in the fall of 1885 transferred his attentions to the mining industries at Cooke City. The following spring he took a pleasure trip to California, and even in that sunny clime his thoughts reverted back to the scenes and opportunities of Park county, consequently he re-established himself on a stock ranch in this ex clusive county in May, 1886, and continued to flourish until the spring of 1894. Selling out his interests there he removed to Livingston, and for two years continued to act as city alderman, after which he served as constable until the fall of 1898, when he was elected to his present office of police judge of the city, since being surrounded by a host of friends who have great con fidence in his honesty and strict attention to business and show a willingness to do anything in their power to appreciate his regard. Mr. Bender was married in September, 1895, to Miss Olive \ . Cole, of Livingston. He lias alvfays been active in fraternal matters, being a member of the Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of Amer ica ; besides he is an active and efficient, member of the Livingston fire department, also a working mem ber of the Methodist church.