Z'7r'.' - ••k- -
THE GUEST HOUSE OF H. BUSH.
ity, exceeding that of any other locality in eastern
Montana, andjby its location on the Park Branch
railway it promises to be the main supply for the
various active mining districts.
Fire-brick and tile are found in large deposits at
Vf **™ 1
> < * * . .. -
■v V;-;. ' • ..V:
, - î
■ : '%.î
ï ,(r ? ' -
■ •; ti . ' -'Ai y ' Y
' •' < ** V. ;'V ■ „ .. , ' • ■
• •'•Xi. ■ •} y- ••• * *t % ■
* '*-y Æ* ' •!''.........
.»u, ? t■ "'v... .. !
• yi v ' l
- \ï Ui
Äw' •'% Vi
* i ; 'k
BEAR GULCH MINING CAMP.
Cooke City, or the New World Mining district, Horr
and near Livingston. It is equal in character to the
Starbridge, England, product. These deposits have
only been worked to a limited extent, and are only
waiting for the demand to waken their slumbering
Marble has been discovered in the foot-hills of
the Yellowstone, or Snowy mountains just opposite^
Cinnabar. It is susceptible of receiving a high polish,
and has been developed sufficiently to prove its value,
should an etfort be made, or capital secured for its
A BOUT five miles east of Gardiner and on the
southern boundary of Park county is located
(he most wide-awake gold mining camp in
the state of Montana today.
The first placer gold in Bear Gulch was dis
covered'by Uncle Joe Brown in '(>(>. Placer mining
continued to be worked to a limited extent until '84,
when Major Eaton put in operation the most power
ful hydraulic apparatus for placer mining in the
world at that time. The water had a vertical fall of
400 feet through 1200 feet of piping 12 inches in diam
eter. It would drop from a little giant motor through
a nozzle 0 inches in diameter. This force was suffi
cient to bend an ordinary iron bar double. This
mode of development continued until '85, when
work was suspended owing to a disagreement
among the property holders.
James Graham and Uncle Joe Brown discovered
the first quartz in 1870, but owing to the difficult
mode of transportation it remained inactive until '84,
when Major Eaton put in a five-stamp and saw
mill combined. This work came to a standstill in
'86 from the same cause as the previous workings.
The gulch now remained quiet until '90, when
Edgerton & Jewell, of Helena, opened up the old
mill by a five-stamp addition, working it success
fully until the crisis of '98, when the camps again and
for the second time in their history, took on a state of
inaction, remaining in this way until July 28, 1898,
when H. Bush arrived. It was at once evident that
he possessed all the zeal and enthusiasm for the es-
xml | txt