Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Central Nevadan. [volume] (Battle Mountain, Nev.) 1885-1907
Battle Mountain, Nev. (1885-1907)
- The Central Nevadan. [volume] : (Battle Mountain, Nev.) 1885-1907
- Place of publication:
- Battle Mountain, Nev.
- Geographic coverage:
- Dennis & Ellsworth
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 16, 1885)-v. 18, no. 26 (Dec. 5, 1907).
- Frequent misnumbering and misdating.
- Publisher: Jan. 7, 1886-July 15, 1886, J.F. Dennis; July 22, 1886-Sept. 26, 1889, Dennis & Co.; Oct. 2, 1889-Jan. 2, 1890, J.P. Park; Jan. 9 1890-<Aug. 28, 1890>, J.A. Blossom; <Sept. 11, 1890>-May 2, 1901, R.C. Blossom; May 9,1901-Dec. 31, 1903, H.R. Lemaire; Jan. 7, 1904-Mar. 7, 1907, A.D. Lemaire; Mar. 14, 1907-Dec. 5, 1907, A.D. Lemaire & Sons (Inc.).
- sn 86076270
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Central Nevadan
The Battle Mountain mining district was organized in 1866 after the discovery of copper in north Lander County. The name Battle Mountain was said to commemorate an 1857 battle between white settlers who had detoured from the established Humboldt River trail and the Western Shoshone and Northern Paiutes who attacked the settlers. Because there has never been any evidence of such a battle, this story may well be fictitious. The name "Battle Mountain" may simply commemorate the past tensions between white settlers and the local tribes who had inhabited the land for centuries.
The town of Battle Mountain became the rail head for the surrounding mining district. Its position as a regional entrepôt was strengthened in 1880 when the Nevada Central Railroad completed its line from Austin to Battle Mountain, a line connecting the silver mines in the Austin District with the Central Pacific's main line.
The first paper in Battle Mountain was the Measure for Measure published by the eccentric and vitriolic William J. Forbes in 1873. When Forbes died in 1875, Measure for Measure did as well. Two more papers followed, the Battle Mountain Messenger and its rival the Lander Free Press, but by 1884, both had succumbed to the general depression in silver mining.
In 1885, in answer to public demand and promises of support, veteran newspaper publisher John H. Dennis inaugurated the Central Nevadan in January 1885. It was a four-page, six-column sheet selling for a yearly subscription of five dollars. Dennis ran the newspaper until 1889. It then went through a series of owners and editors until Fred L. Woolcock took over as editor in 1892. Woolcock, continued in that role until the paper was suspended in December 1907, when the owner A.D. Lamaire sold it. The Central Nevadan then became the Battle Mountain Herald and Central Nevadan. This paper prospered for a few years, finally suspending publication in 1911.
As a small but bustling regional freight depot, Battle Mountain survived the decline of the local mining districts. It vied with Austin for the seat of Lander County until 1979 when the state legislature moved the county seat from Austin to Battle Mountain.
Provided by: University of Nevada Las Vegas University Libraries