The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Opelousas journal.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

The Opelousas journal. [volume] : (Opelousas, La.) 1868-1878
Alternative Titles:
  • Journal des Opelousas
Place of publication:
Opelousas, La.
Geographic coverage:
  • Opelousas, Saint Landry, Louisiana  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
J.W. Jackson & J.M. Gale
Dates of publication:
  • Began with Jan. 4, 1868 issue; ceased with Jan. 5, 1878 issue?
  • English
  • French
  • Louisiana--Opelousas.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01208500
  • Opelousas (La.)--Newspapers.
  • Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 2 (Jan. 11, 1868).
  • In English and French, 1868-Aug. 20, 1875.
  • Published with an additional masthead in French: Le journal des Opelousas, Jan. 4, 1868-<Sept. 12, 1868>.
sn 86079077
Succeeding Titles:
Related Links:
View complete holdings information
First Issue Last Issue

The Opelousas journal. [volume] January 4, 1868 , Image 1


Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Opelousas Journal

Founded in the early 18th century as a French trading post, the town of Opelousas, Louisiana, had developed into a cattle and farming center of regional importance by the middle of the 19th century. It served briefly as Louisiana's capital during the Civil War after the state legislature abandoned the more strategically vulnerable city of Baton Rouge, located about 60 miles to the east.

James W. Jackson (b. 1837), a native of North Carolina, established the Opelousas Journal in 1868. During its first year, it was printed weekly on a single double-sided sheet. Every second week, one page contained French-language content, under the title Le journal des Opelousas. In December 1868, the Journal expanded to four pages, with one page in French every week. Except for ads and occasional announcements, the paper had become English-only by 1871.

The Journal was a typical Southern small-town newspaper that offered miscellaneous news from around the world; brief editorials on various topics, especially local politics (the paper was affiliated with the Democratic Party); reports on political meetings and internal improvements such as the construction of roads, railroads, and levees; general-interest articles, fiction, and poetry, mostly reproduced from other sources; agricultural and domestic advice; advertisements; and marriage notices and obituaries. Also printed were acts of the Louisiana state legislature and letters chiefly on political topics from correspondents in Washington, New York, Philadelphia, and other cities. Like many French-language Louisiana newspapers of its day, each issue of the Journal contained a "feuilleton" (serialized novel or short story) until the paper ceased being bilingual around 1871.

The Opelousas Journal was published until January 1878, when it was sold and reorganized as the St. Landry Democrat.

Provided by: Louisiana State University; Baton Rouge, LA