Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Baraboo weekly news. [volume] (Baraboo, Wis.) 1912-197?
Baraboo, Wis. (1912-197?)
- Baraboo weekly news. [volume] : (Baraboo, Wis.) 1912-197?
- Place of publication:
- Baraboo, Wis.
- Geographic coverage:
- H.E. Cole & H.K. Page
- Dates of publication:
- Jan. 4, 1912-
- Baraboo (Wis.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Available on microfilm from The State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
- Editors: H.E. Cole & H.K. Page, Jan. 4, 1912-April 12, 1928.
- Publisher varies.
- sn 86086068
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Baraboo News and Baraboo Weekly News
Located in Sauk County in south central Wisconsin, Baraboo's proximity to both the Baraboo and Wisconsin rivers made it an attractive area for settlement and the development of sawmills. The community grew rapidly and became the county seat in 1846. The Ringling Brothers called the town home, as did several other circus acts in the 19th century, earning the town the nickname "Circus City."
The Baraboo News can be traced back to the Mirror Lake Echo, a small, short-lived title published by Levi Cook in Lake Delton, Wisconsin, between 1882 and 1883. By 1884, John Kartack had acquired the Echo's equipment and began printing the Advertiser, which included very little news until it was renamed the Baraboo News in 1885.
Kartack ran the weekly for ten years before selling it to A. D. Dorsett and Harry Ellsworth Cole from La Crosse. Cole had previously worked for the La Crosse Republican and Leader and later became an authority on the archeology and history of the Baraboo area; he also served as president of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin and vice-president of the Wisconsin Academy of Science, Arts, and Letters. Shortly after acquiring the News, the two editors also began publishing the daily Evening News. Dorsett left the News in 1906, making Cole the sole owner. Although he sold both papers to Harlan Page in 1910, Cole stayed on as editor until his death in 1928. Under the new dual leadership, the name of the weekly was changed to Baraboo Weekly News in 1912, and it continued to be published as such until 1970.
As a major newspaper published in the county seat, a large portion of the News was dedicated to information from surrounding communities. Sporadically, issues also included four pages printed in German bringing news and entertainment from Europe and across the United States to the paper's German-speaking readership.
Provided by: Wisconsin Historical Society