Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Wausau Wochenblatt. [volume] (Wausau, Wis.) 1871-1924
Wausau, Wis. (1871-1924)
- Wausau Wochenblatt. [volume] : (Wausau, Wis.) 1871-1924
- Place of publication:
- Wausau, Wis.
- Geographic coverage:
- V. Ringle
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1871; ceased with Nov. 28, 1924 issue?
- Description based on: Jahrg. 4, Nr. 25 (2. Juli, 1874).
- In German.
- Supplements accompany some issues.
- sn 86086181
- View complete holdings information
Wisconsin River Pilot, Wausau Wochenblatt, The Central Wisconsin, Pilot and Review and Wausau Pilot
The Wausau River Pilot was first published in 1865 by 18-year old Valentine Ringle. The son of German immigrants, Ringle learned the printer's trade as a boy and later also published a German-language title, the Wausau Wochenblatt. At its commencement, the Pilot competed with another Wausau weekly, the Central Wisconsin and its German-language publication Freie Presse. Being a supporter of the Democratic Party, Ringle's Pilot mirrored his political leaning.
As one of the county seat's first newspapers, the Pilot documents the community's history from a lumbering town of several hundred residents to city of thousands, with a growing papermaking industry after the arrival of the railroad in 1874.
In 1884, the Wausau River Pilot was consolidated with the Wausau Weekly Review which had existed since 1882. Together, they were published as the Pilot and Review by former Review editor Eugene Thayer. Thayer, who held multiple political offices, continued the political identity of the publication. Because of its political standing and its audience in a county (Marathon) with many German immigrants, the Wausau Pilot offers an interesting perspective on the Progressive Era and World War I.
Under Thayer's leadership, the publication became the Pilot Review in 1886 and, finally, the Wausau Pilot in 1896. Thayer ran the publication until his retirement in 1920 and was succeeded by the Pilot Printing & Publishing Company, managed by Fred A. Fuhrmann; the paper was edited by Thayer's son Eugene B. Thayer, Jr.
Provided by: Wisconsin Historical Society