About Elmore bulletin. [volume] (Rocky Bar, Idaho) 1889-1906
Rocky Bar, Idaho (1889-1906)
- Elmore bulletin. [volume] : (Rocky Bar, Idaho) 1889-1906
- Place of publication:
- Rocky Bar, Idaho
- Geographic coverage:
- G.M. Payne
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased with May 3, 1906 issue.
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (June 1, 1889)-
- Idaho--Mountain Home.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01220477
- Idaho--Rocky Bar.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01866405
- Mountain Home (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Rocky Bar (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Published in: Mountain Home, June 19, 1892-<June 1, 1905>.
- sn 86091060
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Mountain Home Bulletin and Elmore Bulletin
Mountain Home, Idaho, was developed by the Idaho and Oregon Land Improvement Company along the Oregon Short Line Railroad in what was then Alturas County. The town was the main shipping point for minerals coming out of the mines of Rocky Bar and Atlanta, Idaho. Mountain Home's first newspaper, Range and Valley, was published by Asa Abbot, first in Rocky Bar, then in Mountain Home, with the printing press originally used by Theophile E. Picotte to publish the Wood River Times. In 1888, Abbot sold the equipment to George M. Payne, of Hailey's Daily Inter-Idaho. Payne enlarged the paper to four pages with seven columns and changed its name to the Mountain Home Bulletin.
In the Bulletin's first weekly issue, Payne published a column on the "County Division Issue," discussing problems stemming from its large size and impassable, mountainous geography and the long distance to the county seat in Hailey. This issue was resolved in 1889 when Idaho's last Territorial legislature divided Alturas County and created the new Elmore County, with Rocky Bar as its seat. With this change, Payne moved his newspaper operation 65 miles north to Rocky Bar, a mining town with a population of 1,000, and updated the name of the publication to the Elmore Bulletin. Even after the boundary changes, the Bulletin continued to cover news of Hailey, Shoshone, and other towns formerly in Alturas County.
In June 1892, the Alturas County seat again moved, this time to Mountain Home, and once again the Bulletin moved with it. Payne wrote that Rocky Bar "has become depressed," while Mountain Home was building a strong economy with an increase in farming and sheep and cattle ranching. That same month, Mountain Home hosted a huge celebration for the completion of a water storage reservoir two miles from town. As described by the Bulletin, a mass of people turned out for the event, dressed as nicely as for a Fourth of July parade, with cannon fire, fireworks, and a grand ball to celebrate the prosperity of the town.
In July 1895, George Payne's daughter, Mabel L. Payne, began managing the Bulletin's office. Their names appeared together as "editors and proprietors" of the paper. The father-daughter duo continued to publish the Bulletin until 1902, when the Paynes sold it to Charles Pascoe, a newspaperman who had established the Payette Independent in 1891.
The Elmore Bulletin was sold in May 1906 to the Mountain Home Publishing Association, a group of men who purchased the Bulletin's "business, subscription list, and goodwill." Together they launched a new, independent paper, naming it the Mountain Home Maverick. The new name was important to the paper's owners and its editor, James W. Connella, as it signified a clean editorial break with the old Bulletin. The Maverick was published until 1911 when it was consolidated with the Elmore County Republican.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society