Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Ketchum keystone. [volume] (Ketchum, Idaho) 1885-1899
Ketchum, Idaho (1885-1899)
- The Ketchum keystone. [volume] : (Ketchum, Idaho) 1885-1899
- Place of publication:
- Ketchum, Idaho
- Geographic coverage:
- W.A. Wheeler
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 18, no. 8 (Feb. 4, 1899).
- Began with Aug. 22, 1885.
- Ketchum (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Absorbed: Ketchum bulletin, May 1887.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, no. 41 (Aug. 29, 1885).
- sn 86091095
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- Last Issue
The Ketchum Keystone, Ketchum Daily Keystone, Tri-weekly Keystone, Idaho Weekly Keystone and Idaho Semi-weekly Keystone
The Ketchum Keystone became the fourth newspaper to be published in Idaho's Wood River region on December 24, 1881. It was preceded by the Wood River Miner in Hailey, the Wood River News in Bellevue, and the Wood River Times in Hailey. The Ketchum postmaster, H.E. Cook, was listed as the editor in the early issues of the Keystone. In the first issue, Cook included an explanation for the title of the newspaper, "Ketchum, situated as she is in the very heart and center of the Wood River mining country, is the Keystone City of this vast newly discovered mineral field." He also noted that politics and religion would appear in the paper "when a cause demands it, but until such time they will not be discussed."
The Ketchum Keystone was a four-column, four-page paper published weekly. In July 1882, half of the business was sold to Charles Foster, a newspaper man who had worked on the Idaho Statesman, the Idaho World, and the Wood River Miner. In August of that year, George J. Lewis purchased the other half of the Ketchum Keystone, and with his involvement, the paper became Democratic. Lewis was the son of an early Ketchum settler who had been a mine owner and local businessman. Lewis had no newspaper experience, yet the Keystone flourished with his involvement.
In January 1883, George J. Lewis’s brother, Horace Lewis, bought out Foster's interest in the Keystone, and the two brothers began issuing the paper as a semiweekly in June. The motto under the masthead read, "The Sole Representative of the Upper Wood River and Sawtooth Mineral Region." In addition to the semiweekly, the brothers also briefly published a weekly edition in 1884, the Idaho Weekly Keystone. During the election year of 1884, the Lewis brothers hired Henry Clay Street to edit a daily Keystone, issued every morning except Monday. The daily was discontinued at the end of the campaign season.
Calvin C. Clawson purchased the Ketchum Keystone from the Lewis brothers and changed its name to the Idaho Keystone. The paper continued to be Democratic, and Clawson published it as the Tri-Weekly Keystone in October and November of 1884. In June 1885, Clawson leased the paper to William A. Wheeler, a journalist from Nevada. Wheeler published the Idaho Semi-Weekly Keystone until a fire destroyed the building and printing equipment on August 19, 1885. The fire ended Clawson and Wheeler's involvement in the Keystone, and George J. Lewis again took over the paper, having new equipment shipped from Portland. Lewis revived the paper as the Ketchum Keystone, and with the new equipment, published an expanded seven-column weekly beginning on September 19, exactly one month after the fire. Isaac H. Bowman of the Idaho World purchased the Keystone in 1886, stating it would be an independent paper. However, the Keystone continued to champion Democratic principles and candidates.
The Ketchum Keystone remained in print until February 4, 1899.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society