Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The record. [volume] (St. Maries, Idaho) 1913-1918
St. Maries, Idaho (1913-1918)
- The record. [volume] : (St. Maries, Idaho) 1913-1918
- Place of publication:
- St. Maries, Idaho
- Geographic coverage:
- O.B. & C.B. Moon
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Apr. 29, 1913)-v. 6, no. 17 (June 7, 1918).
- Idaho--Saint Maries.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206945
- Saint Maries (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 86091104
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
What would become the townsite of St. Maries, Idaho, was initially selected in 1889 as the location for a sawmill. Its setting at the confluence of the St. Maries and St. Joe rivers proved convenient for floating lumber down the waterways and running steamships carrying goods. In 1908 the Pacific Extension of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad was built through town. St. Maries was officially founded in 1913.
The Record was published by O. B. and C. B. Moon on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1913–1918. Initially the paperran with four pages and seven columns; in 1915 it changed to four pages and six columns. The first issue declared the publication’s support for President Woodrow Wilson and the Democratic Party and stated that the paper would back the type of local politician who worked for the best interest of the city and its people. The first issue also implored the people of St. Maries to assist the paper in collecting the news as citizen journalists.
The St. Maries Record published legal notices and had a regular column titled "City in Brief" with local news and classifieds. News at the state level was covered regularly throughout the paper. In 1915, The Record's publishers changed to O. B. and G. W. Moon. In 1918, the editors were listed as the Moon Brothers. That same year, The Record merged with The St. Maries Gazette to create the St. Maries Gazette-Record. The Gazette-Record publishes to this day.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society