Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Oakley herald. [volume] (Oakley, Idaho) 1908-1961
Oakley, Idaho (1908-1961)
- The Oakley herald. [volume] : (Oakley, Idaho) 1908-1961
- Place of publication:
- Oakley, Idaho
- Geographic coverage:
- A.A. Tanner
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1908; ceased in 1961.
- Oakley (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, no. 1 (Feb. 18, 1910).
- Supplements accompany some issues.
- sn 86091130
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Oakley Eagle and The Oakley Herald
The town of Oakley, Idaho, is located in Cassia County near the border with Utah. Originally, Oakley was sparsely settled by cattlemen and sheep herders. Large-scale settlement began when Mormons from Utah began to populate the area in the 1880s and 1890s. Farming, mining, and stock raising were Oakley's prominent industries.
The Oakley Star was a weekly newspaper published by A.L. Davidson from 1893 until 1896. In 1896, Dan P. Albee and William A. Davidson purchased the Star and changed its name to the Oakley Sun. The Sun was edited by Albee and published weekly by Oakley Publishing Company.
In 1901, the Sun was purchased by A.S. Abbot, the former editor of another Cassia County newspaper, the Busy Bee. Abbot changed the paper's name to the Oakley Eagle. The Eagle was originally published as a weekly four-page paper on Wednesdays and had a circulation of 400. In 1904, William A. Davidson acquired the paper. Charles P. Diehl, former publisher of the Twin Fall Times, purchased the Eagle in 1905. Diehl published the weekly four-page, six-column paper on Thursdays. In October 1905, Albert Marion Merrill, a Mormon school teacher, became editor. Although the Eagle's circulation had increased to 650 by that time, Merrill ceased operations in 1906 due to the paper's unprofitability.
Alva A. Tanner, a poet, phrenologist, and Mormon apostate, bought the Eagle from Merrillin 1907. The following year, Tanner changed the paper's name to the Oakley Herald. The Herald published primarily as a six-page, six-column paper. In 1910, the day of publication changed to Fridays. John A. Elison became the Herald's editor in 1913. The next year, the paper changed hands again when Fred Jenkins became editor and publisher. Charles Brown purchased the Herald in 1917 and published it with eight pages and six columns. Brown edited the Hera Herald until his death in 1959.
The Eagle and Herald covered local news from the Idaho communities of Oakley, Marion, Churchill, and Locust. The "Brevities" column featured social news items as well as classified ads. Jokes and comics were run under the headings "Gathered Smiles" and "Good Jokes." From 1914 to 1918, World War One dominated the Herald's national and international news coverage. The Oakley Herald remained in operation until 1961.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society