Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Twin Falls times. (Twin Falls, Idaho) 1905-1916
Twin Falls, Idaho (1905-1916)
- The Twin Falls times. : (Twin Falls, Idaho) 1905-1916
- Place of publication:
- Twin Falls, Idaho
- Geographic coverage:
- W.S. Hill
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 12, no. 20 (Dec. 14, 1916).
- Began in 1905.
- Semiweekly <Oct. 20, 1911>-Dec. 14, 1916
- Idaho--Twin Falls.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01210138
- Twin Falls (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, no. 2 (Apr. 2, 1908).
- sn 86091218
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Twin Falls Times
Twin Falls was founded in the first years of the 20th century as part of a land reclamation project in Southern Idaho. Multiple irrigation projects were completed in the region, making pieces of land known as "tracts" livable with access to water for crops and ranching. The Twin Falls Southside Irrigation Tract, completed in 1905, included the building of the Milner Dam and a network of canal systems that provided water to 200,000 acres of land on the south side of the Snake River Canyon. Drawings for plots of land in the town were held beginning in 1903, and more settlers were attracted to the area once the reclamation was finished. Within a few months after the completion of the project, the new city of Twin Falls had businesses such a bank, doctor, attorney, dentist, and bakery.
In May 1905, Orrin H. Barber founded the town's second newspaper, the Twin Falls Times, and sold it the following year to Frank H. Eastman, who served as editor and proprietor until selling the newspaper to Wilbur S. Hill in 1908. By then, the Twin Falls Times consisted of 14 pages with 6 columns and was published weekly on a linotype machine. On the editorial page, Hill included a "Typographical Union" label, signifying his involvement in the printers' union. The paper claimed to be "Independent Republican" and was the official paper of Twin Falls County, which included the settlements of Buhl, Kimberly, Filer, and Hollister.
Twin Falls developed as a thriving agricultural community. Mills and creameries were built to process the products of the wheat and dairy industries, and crop farming, fruit orchards, and ranching were popular. Much of the content of Twin Falls Times covered news of improvements to the town. This included sidewalks, roads, a new school, and a sewer system. Stories of irrigation, canals, water use, and reclamation projects in the surrounding area commonly appeared in the Times. Also, the Oregon Short Line Railroad passed through the town, connecting Twin Falls to the "more populous" western towns of Southern Idaho such as Mountain Home, Boise, and Caldwell. In 1913, the Times ran an advertisement campaign asking for 500 new subscribers in a three-month timeframe.
The Twin Falls Times became a semiweekly publication in October 1911 and continued this printing schedule until 1918, officially becoming the Twice-a-Week Twin Falls Times in 1916. During this transition, the Times moved to a new publishing office and acquired a new printing press. Also in 1916, Harold M. Sims took over as editor and proprietor. In 1918, the name of the paper changed to the Twin Falls Daily Times, which continued until 1928.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society