OCR Interpretation


The Newport miner. (Newport, Wash.) 1899-current, January 02, 1908, Image 1

Image and text provided by Washington State Library; Olympia, WA

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn87008085/1908-01-02/ed-1/seq-1/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for

The Newport Miner
Official Paper
of
Stevens County
VOLUME VII
ADVERTISING NEWPORT
This Will Attract Homeseekers
Great Northern Bulletin Devotes
Four Pages to This Section
The (ireat Northern Bulletin for Jan
„aiv, which is issued by the general
passenger department of the road for
purpose of exploiting the advantages
()1 the states along its lines of roads, is
devoted to Washington, the "Evergreen
state." This bulletin has a large circu
lation throughout the east and the Mis
sissippi valley states, and is annually
the means of interesting thousands of
people who wish to better their condi
tion and who are seeking information to
-jriiide them to new locations
n The bulletin is neatly printed and
sets fortli particularly the agricultural
ami horticultural features of the state,
[t is illustrated by numerous half-tone
cuts of ranch and orchard scenes. The
Newport district has about four pages
devoted to it, which includes a general
write-up of the town and surrounding
country, and a number of letters from
residents, who tell of their experience
in agriculture, climatic conditions and
the producing qualities of the soil. Sev
eral ranch pictures are given, also a cut
of the dozen Newport potatoes which
weighed a pound and a half each, which,
however, was taken too early in the his
tory of the Commercial Club exhibit this
fall, as there were several exhibits that
came in later which beat that record.
Among the Newport citizens who
wrote letteis about Newport and vicinity
for publication in this number of the
Bulletin are C. M Talmadge, Jacob
Martin, S. W. Haptonstall, J. R. Patter
son, A. M. Harris, O. O. Quayle, A. L.
Jaynes, G. W. Cooper and N. H Long.
Those who wish copies of the Bulletin
sent to their friends back east can secure
them by addressing Max Bass, general
immigration agent of the Great North
ern, at 220 South Clark street, Chicago,
111.
What Newport and the surrounding
country needs in addition is some means
of acquainting the outside world of our
commercial and manufacturing re
sources. There are great opportunities
lying dormant here, awaiting the awak
ening touch of capital and energy to
make them producers. This section,
with its abundant water power and nat
ural resources has a future that is not
dependent alone on agriculture.
Northern
Mercantile Co., Ltd »
MONDAY, JANUARY THE 6th, 1908
Regular 12 l 2 c outing flan*
nel at 9c P er Y ar< i *r
Regular 12zc fleece lined
goods at 9c per yard
1-2 on Ladies'
and Misses' underwear
SEE OUR BARGAIN TABLES
On Monday and Tuesday we will sell canvas gloves
at 5 cents per pair. Only five pairs to each customer
In a circular issued by R. F. Black
well, vice-president and general mana
ger of the Idaho & Washington North
ern Railroad, George F. Mohler is ap
pointed general freight ami passenger
agent, effective Jan. 1.
M. Mohler since last April has beeu
occupying the position of assistant pur
chasing agent, dating his services with
the road from the beginning of its con
struction. Together with filling that
position he hasrperformed the executive
w r ork in the organization of the traffic
departments of the road. Prior to his
connection with the Idaho & Washing
ton Northern Mr. Mohler was for five
years general agent and district freight
agent of the O. R. & N., with headquar
ters in Spokane. He has had thirty
seven years' experience in railroading,
his first work being as a brakernan on
the Chicago & Northwestern in 1870.
Mr. Mohler w ill continue his office loca
tion at 630 Rookery building at Spo
kane, which has been his headquarters
since his connection with the Tdaho &
Washington Northern.
There is also announced the appoint
ment of John T. McDevitt as auditor, to
take the place of W. T. Hireen, who has
resigned. Mr. McDevitt has been occu
pying the position of secretary of the
company since its organization. Mr.
Hireen leaves the road to accept another
position, the nature of which he has not
announced. •
The Metaline made her last trip for
the season on Saturday. The water in
the river had become so low that it was
extremely difficult for to
make her landings. The boat is now
tied up at her docks and is receiving
necessary repairs. Captain LeClerc will
go to Priest River as soon as the repairs
are finished. Engineer "Billy" Ross
will go to Spokane for a short visit with
friends and will then return to Newport
to ruminate for the winter. "Kentucky"
Boggs, the purser, has retired to his
ranch near Crescent on the lower river,
and expects to subsist on game until the
season opens again. The boat has had
a very successful year, and the company
will possibly add to their fleet during
the coming season. The Frarn, belong
ing to the same company, will probably
winter on the lower river.
The Great Northern Railroad pays the
sum of $43,091.84 in taxes in Bonner
county, Idaho.
"/febvport, Where rait and ri-Oer meet."
JANUARY SALE
Great Reductions in Every Line of Merchandise
At The-Bargain Square
I. 5 W, N. Change of Officers.
The Melaline Out of Commission
Agents for "ButtericK "Patterns
BEGINS
NEWPORT, WASHINGTON, THURSDAY, JANUARY 2, 1908.
SUNDAY SCHOOL MEET
Make Thorough Organization
—r
Interesting Meeting Held at New
port Saturday and Sunday
The Sunday school convention of the
Pend d'Oreille district, held Saturday
and Sunday, Dec. 28 and 29. at the M.
E. church, while it failed to secure dele
gates from the down river schools, was
in every other respect a decided success.
The workers who came from out of town
to aid in the convention, Mr. Chailes
Boppell, of Spokane, and Miss Daisy
Hard, of Colville, were much appre
ciated by the large audiences that were
present. Mr. Boppell is a specialist in
Sunday school work. His addresses,-
chalk talks and round tables were in
tensely interesting and full ot actual
knowledge.
On account of the lateness of the after
noon eastbound train, on which the
visitors came, the Saturday afternoon
session was delayed until 3:30 o'clock.
Temporary organization was effected and
committees appointed, after which Miss
Hard spoke on "The Value of District
and County Organization." The attempt
is now being made to thoroughly organ
ize Stevens county. At a recent con
vention in Colvilte the county was
divided into three districts, one of them
being the Pend d'Oreille district, com
prising Newport and the schools of the
down river country. One of the objects
of this convention was to organize this
district. Pursuant to this purpose Mr.
Herbert Livington was made temporary
president of the district. Miss Hard was
followed by Mr. Boppell, who conducted
a very interesting round table on super
intending a Sunday school.
The interesting part at the Saturday
evening session was a good, practical,
common sense paper by Edward Grover,
superintendent of the Congregational
Sunday school, on "Teachers." Mrs.
Win. Porter read a paper setting forth
the plan of organization and methods
used in the beginners' department. Mrs.
came here recently from
Cleveland, Ohio, has had exceptional
training and experience in this depart
ment, and her paper was rich with ideas;
many of which, it is hoped, will be
worked out in the schools here. Mr.
Boppell gave a chalk talk on the subject,
••What the Sunday School Stands For."
At the Sunday morning session Mr.
Boppell spoke of the greatness of Sun
LADIES' SKIRTS
1-4 off
DRESS GOODS
I°3off
LADIES' GOATS
at f-2 price
day school work. More students are
studying the Bible than any other book
on earth. There are three Sunday
school teachers to every day school
teacher in the United States. Sunday
school, he said, should he called a Bible
school. It is to teach the Bible. Hux
ley said; "I do not believe the Bible,
but there is no other way to teach mor
ality but through its pages. Three mil
lions of Sunday school children are
studying the same Bible lesson every
Sunday morning. Over six million
scholars are enrolled in the Sunday
schools of this countrv."
In the afternoon Mr. Boppell con
ducted a round table on Sunday school
management. Miss Hard spoke on the
subject, "How to Keep Our Boys," and
Mr. Buck on ''Decision Day." This was
followed by a short business session, at
which the Pend d'Oreille district was
formally organized and the following
officers elected: Herbert Livington,
fpresident; Ed Williams, vice-president;
Mr. Buck, secretary-treasurer.
The two addresses in the evening by
Me ssrs. Waite and Boppell were both
interesting and instructive. The follow
ing resolutions were read by the chair
man of the resolutions committee and
adopted by the convention:
Whereas, The Sabbath schools of the Pend
d'Oreille Valley District Sunday School Asso
ciation feel the great benefit derived from their
services in this convention just closing, be it
Resolved, That the Methodist, Baptist and
Hope Congregational Sabbath schools of New
port extend to Miss Daisy Hard and Mr. C. B.
Boppell their most hearty thanks for their ser
vices, suggestions, new ideas and encourage
ment in Sabbath school work and the teaching
of God's word to His people. Be it also
Resolved, That it is a suggestion of this con
vention that steps be taken to bring about a
spirit of co-operation and unison between the
Sunday schools of this district, and that the
superintendents of the Sunday schools of New
port work together with the pastors in unison
lor the conducting of a house to house canvass
of our city, for the purpose of interesting every
family in Christian work and in some particu
lar church and Sunday school.
All of the sessions with the exception
of Saturday afternoon were well at
tended, and the Sunday school people of
Newport feel" very much pleased with
I the convention.
A New School
: A new school was opened in what will
be "known as the Bobier district, a few
miles down the river. The school was
opened on Monday with an enrollment
of twelve scholars. Miss Anderson, from
ttear Penrith, is the teacher and has
been engaged for a period of six months,
The school building is a new one and is
reported as being one of the nicest coun
try school buildings-in this vicinity. It
is nicely painted both inside and out and
makes a very atttactive building for the
purpose.
McCALL -PATTEn/IS CA.'R'RIB'D is* stock
Gilbert Mercantile Co.
BUSINESS PICKING UP
Prospects for a Good Year
Logging Operations Being Re
newed in This Vicinity
The Mclnni? Brothers have contracted
to log about 4,000,000 feet of yellow pine,
fir and tamarack for the Panhandle
Lumber Co. The ground to be logged
lies just south of Newport and is known
as Section 36. In addition to that sec
tion they will log a quarter belonging to
Jphn Mclnnis, Jr., which is in the same
locality. The logs will be hauled to the
tracks of the Idaho & Washington
Northern at a point a little east of the
trestle over the Great Northern and
there loaded. They will then be taken
to Spirit Lake to the Panhandle mill for
sawing.
About fifty men will be given employ
ment for nearly six months on this
work. A camp-has been established
about two and one-half miles from New
port and Joha-Mdnnis, Jr., is in charge.
Tommy Hall has charge of the cooking
arrangements. The opening of this
camp has relieved the situation to a
considerable extent in this city, as it
has given employment to a great many
married who have their families
dependent upon them, and who haye
been unemployed a good share of the
time since the financial troubles struck
the country. Ellsworth & Miller h,ave
charge of the sawing contract at this
camp.
The Fidelity Lumber Co. is operating
two camps on the west branch of Priest
River and Pine Creek, about seven miles
from Newport, across the Pend d'Oreille
river. Thev are now hauling from the
woods to the river.
The Harry Saddler camp is in full
blast and is being enlarged every week.
The prospects are bright for the con
tinued operation of the Coulter & But
tons electric planer in this city. This
firm had practically concluded to close
down ttfls week. However, they re
ceived orders for lumber that will prob
ably carry them to the usual opening of
the spring trade. The mill has been
running about eight hours daily ail of
the winter. It would have been oper
ated on full time but for the fact that
the power was needed for lighting the
city at an early hour on account of the
short days. While the mill is a small
one it is pleasing to know that it has
continued in operation all through the
"THE STORE OF QUALITY."
Greatly Reduced
prices on all Ladies'
Misses and Children's
Skirts, Suits, Coati and
Furnishings- Ten per
cent coupons given with
each cash purchase from
50c up redeemable i n
goods on special display
in our store.
panicky times and tha' \> prospects are
that it will continue ti operate during
the winter.
The Fidelity planer started up Thurs
day morning with a slightly increased
force. The company has been cleaning
up during the holidays and making a
few mouldings and sorts for stock.
"TheGildea mill on the opposite side
of the river from Newport is being dis
mantled. It will be removed to a point
south of the city and will be operated
With more regularity during the coining
season.
Taking evertliing into consideration
the condition of affairs in this district
haa shown a distinct improvement dur
ing the past few days. The prospects
are that other camps will be opened in
the near future, and things will be as
lively as usual when spring arrives.
The goose appears to be hanging
higher in Newport than for some little
time.
First National Declares Dividend.
A regular meeting of the directors of
the First National Bank of Newport was
held this morning at the bank. The
following directors were present: Henry
Tweedie, of Tweedie; J. B. Tarbet, of
Penrith; Hugh Kennedy, of Dalkena;
A. E. Reid, E. E. Eeid "and Charles F.
Craig.
The business of the past six months
was carefully gone over, and after all
doubtful loans and accounts had been
charged off it was found that there was
left a net profit on a capital of $25,000 to
permit the payment of a semi-annual
dividend of 5 per cent and to pass 2 per
cent —$500—into the surplus fund.
As the bank paid out a 10 per cent
semi-annual dividend the first six
months of 1907, it will be noted that
they have paid a total of 17 per cent on
last year's business. The directors were
very well pleased with the condition of
the bank and the manner in which it
has come through the financial strin
gency. It has been handled conserva
tively and begins the new year with the
brightest of prospects.
The secretary of state has tried hi?
hand at guessing at the population o
the various counties of the state ana
estimates that Stevens county now has
a population of 23,880, an increase of
126.5 per cent since the census of 1900,
when it was but 10,543. In 1890 the
census returns showed a population of
only 4,341. He estimates the population
of the state at 1, 158,098. In 1900 the
federal census gave it bat 518,103.
Official Paper
t ■
of
Stevens Cou"" 4
■N.r>cß33

xml | txt