Newspaper Page Text
Mrs. Jane 1. Robb.
Jane L. Hill was born August 18,
1835, in New York and died January
8, 1917, at the home of her daughter,
Mrs. I. C. Norman, where she has
resided since the death of her hus
band nearly a year ago. She was
married to Truman Storey and to this
union were born three children, one
dying in infancy. Mrs. Emma Rich
ards, of Lincoln, dying in 1898. N.
T. Storey of Lincoln, who was at
her bedside at the time of her death.
In the year 1862 she was left a wid
ow, her husband dying in the army.
In the year 1865 she was united in
marriage to Rev. W. Robb. To this
union were born ten children, three
dying in infancy. Her, surviving
children are E. E. Robb, Mrs. Chas.
.Akes jr., Mrs. I. C. Norman, F. C.
Robb, Wilson Robb, Mrs. J. W.
Clyde and J. E. Robb. All were
present at the funeral, except F. C.,
who was ill and not able to be pres
ent. She had twenty-seven grand
children and three great-grandchil
dren, who mourn the loss of a patient
and loving mother.
Sister Robb was converted to
^Christ while quite young and joined
the M. E. church, but later united
with the Methodist Protestant church
and remained faithful to the Lord
and her church until death called
her from labor to her reward.
The body was brought back to
Osceola for funeral and burial. The
M. P. churcli on account of work on
the interior, being unfit for use,
through the kindness of our M. E.
'brethren, had the use of their churcli
for the services, which were conduct
ed by her pastor, Rev. J. C. Leonard,
assisted by Rev. Tillotson on Thurs
day morning at 10:00 o'clock, after
which the body was laid by the siil')
of loved ones in the beautiful Maple
Hill cemetery, there to await the
resurrection morn. The bereaved
have tfce sympathy of the community
in this their hour of sorrow and !oss.
Those from a distance who were
here to attend the funeral wci*e Mr.
and Mrs. I. C. Norman, of Decatur
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Akes, of Leon
Mrs. Clyde, of Barkley. Nebraska
N. T. Storey, of Lincoln, Nebraska
J. Robb, of Glenwood, Iowa Willie
Robb, of Sheridan, Missouri Mr. and
Mrs. Wilson Robb, of Wapello, Iowa
Ernest Robb of Woodburn, and Mrs.
Bell Ries, of Murray.—Osceola Sen
Mrs. Phoebe Jane Little.
Phoebe Jane Little was born on
Feb. 22, 1So I, in McHenry county,
Illinois, and died on Jan. i9, 1917,
aged 85 years, 10 months and 27
days. Her mother died when she
was very young and she moved with
her father to Maringo, Illinois,
where she grew to womanhood. She
was married to Henry Little, May 15,
1854, at Decatur City, Iowa, and in
the same year they settled on a farm
north of Decatur, where she continu
ously resided for sixty-one years.
She was the mother of five chil
dren, all living but one. They are
Samuel H., Mrs. Mae Lantz and Mrs.
Etta King of Decatur, Mrs. Emma
Wills of Woodland, all being present
at the time of her death.
Mr. Little died April 7, l'J02, at
the age of 75 years.
Mrs. Little accepted the faith held
by tn^ Seventh Day Adventists and
united with that denomination when
quite young and lived a consistent
christian. For the past fourteen
mnoths she has been confined to her
Funeral services were held Sun
day at Union Chapel, pastor C. V.
"i Starr, of Pleasanton, speaking words
of comfort and the body was tender
ly laid to rest beside her husband to
await the summons of Christ at the
great executive judgment day which
J. C. Nesley.
John Calvin Negley was born at
Markelsburg, Penna, June 22, 1850,
died at his home in Decatur, Iowa,
December 24, 1916, after a lingering
illness of over two years.
He moved with his parents to Illi
nois in 1865. In 1871 he was united
in marriage to Mary A. Fisher, to
this union were born 9 children,
Charles, who died in infancy. On
March 1, 1873, he moved to Iowa
settling on a farm west of Decatur,
where the other eight children were
all born, Mrs. Cora Buckingham,
Mrs. Etta Campbell, Mrs. Ruth Wells,
Mrs. Cliff Lloyd, Harry, Will, Oliv
er and Reuben Negley, all of whom
were with their lather in his last
sickness. Besides the children are
the wife, two brothers, Cyrus of El
dorado, Neb., and David of Decatur,
and one sister, Mrs. Will Kelley of
Beaconsfield, Iowa, eighteen grand
children, two great-grandchildren
and a host of friends to mourn his
Funeral services were conducted
at the M. E. church Tuesday, Dec.
26, 1916, by the pastor, Rev. F. H.
Perkins, interment being in the De
Mrs. Jane Halstead.
Mrs. Jane Halstead, widow of the
late Nichola.-. I'alstead, of Morgan
township, Decatur county, Iowa, died
at her home in the north part of
Lineville last Monday morning, par
alysis being the cause of death, she
being about 72 years of age. The de
ceased has only been a resident of
Lineville the past several years, hav
ing lived the greater part of her life
in Decatur county. She leaves 5 chil
dren to mourn the loss of a kind and
gentle mother and many other rela
tives and frienas the passing of a
noble, christian woman. The children
who survive her, all born to her first
marriage, are Willis Dillon and Mrs.
Cyrus Wells of Morgan township,
Henry and David Dillon of Oklahoma
and Ned Dillon of Colorado? Funer
al services were held at the late
.home of the deceased Wednesday af
ternoon, conducted by Rev. H. E.
Ryan, pastor of the M. E. church,
South, interment following at Ever
green cemetery, all of the children
being present except her son Ned Dil
lon, of Colorado, who wa3 unable to
Mrs. Jacob Bailey.
Rebecca Elizabeth Shipman was
born Sept. 22, 1833, in Highland
county, Ohio, departed this life at the
home of her daughter, Mrs. Wm.
Smith, Jan. 13, 1917, aged 83 years,
2 months and 21 days old.
March 3, 1856, she was married
to Jacob Bailey. To this union were
born 7 children, 5 of whom preceed
ed her to the better world. In early
childhood she became a member of
the United Brethren church, of
•which church she remained a con
sistent member until her death. She
leaves to mourn her death two
daughters, Mrs. Will Smith of Grand
River and Mrs. J. A. Maris of Stock
ton, Kansas, eleven grandchildren,
and a host of friends.
Funeral services were conducted at
the home of Will Smith at 11 a. m.
by the pastor of the M. E. church,
of Decatur City, Rev. F. H. Perkins.
Interment was made in the Wester
Don't forget the Saturday after
noon matinee at the Idle Hour
theatre at 3 .o'cstock, Admisslott 6
History of the Presbyterian Church
of Jjeon, Iowa.
Among the early settlers of De
catur county, Iowa, were many Pres
byterian families, some belonging to
the old school, some to the new
school and others to the Cumberland
In the years 1854 and 1855, Rev
erend Shields, a member of the new
school, was the first Presbyterian
minister he held services in the
southeast part of the county at the
home of Mr. Evans and at Leon at
the home of Mrs. Thompson where
the opera house is now located and
also in Franklin tow.nship, but there
was no regular organization. About
this time Reverend McWilliams or
ganized a Sabbath school at the
home of Uncle John Patterson on
the Hurst lots north of the Biggs
block, also organized a Sabbath
school in Eden township, the Sunday
school teachers from Leon making
the trip to the country on horse-back.
At the end of the year 1855 Fath
er Benjamin O. Springer held ser
vices in Leon for about six months.
The first Presbyterian organiza
tion was July 9, 1856, at the home
of Stephen Carrithers, a committee
was appointed by the Presbytery
consisting of Rev. Batchelder and
Elder Wills to organize a church.
Our church record commences
June 2, 1866, the committee appoint
ed to organize the church met at the
M. E. church at Leon, 11 a. m., June
2, 1866, Rev. W. C. Hollyday minis
tering, the following persons pre
senting themselves aniL gave satis
factory evidence of their church
standing and willingness to unite in
an organization to be called the
First Presbyterian Church of Leon,
Iowa: W. P. Blair, Mary A. Blair,
Fidelia F. Thompson, Martha E.
Avery, Robert Kinnear, Keturah
Kinnear, Margaret Stone, Thomas
Baldwin, Mary Baldwin, W. W.
Moore, Rebecca J. Moore, Francis
Vai,ora, Mary Varga, and W. 11.
The first minister under the new
organization was D. S. Hughes who
had charge of the church for four
From November 1 8, 1866, to
March 21, 1868, Rev. R. J. Burtt of
Osceola, Iowa, tilled the pulpit.
In November, 1869, this churcli
was connected with the Grand River
church, A. A. Mattes was stated sup
ply until August 25, 1 872, during
Jiis pastorate the church was erected
in 1871 on the present location,
where this new edifice is being
erected, during his pastorate twenty
six members were received into the
church, three members lost by death,
four joined the M. E. church and
four moved away, the membership
in November, 1872, consisted of 39
In November, 1 872, F. Rea be
came our stated supply, our church
was then connected with Garden
Grove until September, 1874, when
he was suspended by the Presbytery,
eight new members were added, and
two moved away.
In February, 1875, Rev. C. M.
Delslets became our stated supply
until September 1, 1 877, when he re
signed and accepted the principal
ship of th£ Leon High School.
Our church was dedicated Sep
temuer 12, 1S75, by Dr. Wm. J. Gill
of Des Moines Presbytery under the
pastorate of Mr. Des Islets, sixteen
new members were added, nine dis
missed and in April, 18V7, one was
In November, 1879, Rev. Silas
Johnson took 'charge of the church
and on March 28, 1880, he became
the pastor, he was installed May 9,
1880. He labored here until the
end of April, 1884, when he resigned
on account of failing health. On
April 27, 1884, the pastorship was
dissolved by Rev. Charles Dunlap of
Osceola, Iowa, and the church de
clared vacant forty-seven new mem
bers were added and eighteen dis
In September. t884, a call was
given to Rev. Wm. C. Cort, of State
Center, he accepted the call and en
tered on his ministerial duties and
was installed May 21, 1885.
On March, 1887, a revival meeting
was had under the leadership of Rev.
Dean, and on the 11th day of April,
1887, forty-five members were added
to the church: John Abernathy, Miss
Mollie Aikens, Miss Grace Allen,
Frank N. Avery, Miss Millie Avery,
J. R. Bashaw, C. W. Beck, William
A. Brown, Mrs. Kate L. Brown, Wil
liam Brown, Sam Carmean, Mr. and
Mrs. Corona, Miss Martha Frazier,
Miss Maud F. Fry, M. B. Fry, S. A.
Gates, Miss Catherine May Gates,
iiiiss Lena Hinkle, Wm. S. Johnson,
J. M. L'ttvton, Sam Miller, Byron
Mowatt, Marion A. Mowatt. Miss
Lulu Mowatt, James Parrish, Rich
ard Parrish, J. P. Peters. Zula Pet
ers, Henry Reuter, John D. Roberts,
Sadie H. Roberts, Ed (.-. Smith, Ida
L. Smith, John M. Sylvester, Maggie
L. Sylvester, Dr. William VanWer
den, Mrs. VanWerden, Miss Esther
Varga, Miss Rosa Varga, Miss Mary
Varga, Mrs. M. S. Warring, Miss
Louie Warner, Miss Lulu Young. Mr.
Cort resigned October, 1887. During
his pastorate forty-two members
were added* in addition to the above
named forty-five and twenty regular
ly dismissed. On October 2, 1887,
the Rev. P. F. Boyd, of Albia, declar
ed the church vacant by order of
On December 4, 1887, Rev. M.
Noerr was chosen pastor. On ac
count of failing health he expressed
his desire to be relieved from his
duties and labors of the church but
the members of the congregation re
quested him to take a rest for six
months with the hope that he might
be restored to his health and con
tinue his labors with them, which he
accepted and Rev. M. W. Simpson of
Humeston, filled the pulpit during
said vacation, then Mr. Noerr again
resumed his labors until June 21,
1891, when he tendered his resigna
tion on account of failing health
during his pastorate thirty-five mem
bers were added and twenty dismiss
The congregation gave a call to
Rev. Ollerenshaw who accepted the
call and entered upon his ministerial
labors he resigned December 11,
1892 during his short time ten
members were added and eight dis
On the sixth day of February,
1893, the Rev. G. D. Gurley of Tip
ton, Iowa, was called to accept the
pastorial relationship which he ac
cepted on November 30, 1898, he
tendered his resignation for the rea
son, while blessed with health and
vigor, that he did not feel that he
could preach at Crown every second
Sunday, that the task was too ardu
ous for him and asked the session to
accept his resignation his resigna
tion was accepted.
Rev. H. Jack of Des Moines, Iowa,
supplied the pulpit until May 1,
1899, when the Rev. W. H. llsley
was installed as his successor, the
pastor relationship was dissolved in
W. A. Montgomery was pastor in
I9u4, resigned in 1907.
W. E. Kunz was pastor from 1907
L. Hughes from 1910 to 1911. ...
E. N. Bradshaw 1911 to 1913.
F. A. Lewis 19 t3 to 1914.
B. Frank Jacobs 1914 to 19i6^
o. S. Marsolf accepted the call as
THE LEON REPORTER, THURSDAY, JANUARY 25, 1917.
active duties in September of the
The old Presbyterian church erect
ed in the year 1871 was examined by
expert builders and was condemned
by them and found unsafe, in August
1916, and steps were immediately
taken to tear down the old church
and through the strong efforts of our
present pastor a congregational
meeting was called to consider the
erection of a new church whereupon
committees were appointed as fol
Mrs. H. R. Layton, Sallie Varga,
Mrs. V. R. McGinnis, Cleila Shular,
Dr. F. A. Bowman and George T.
Ogilvie as committee on plans and
specifications the report of this
committee was received and adopted
and the building committee for the
execution of the work was appointed,
consisting of Thomas Teale, Stephen
arga. Dr. H. R. Layton, T. W. Colby,
S. Stewart and C. S. Marsolf mem
ber ex-ofiicio. Arrangements were
made with George Penniwell to over
see the erection of the church.
A committee on finance was ap
pointed consisting of the following:
V. R. McGinnis, chairman, Thomas
Teale, Francis Varga, Frank M.
Coder, J. S. Parrish, John Frazier,
S. A. Gates, G. B. Price, David Iron
side, Ed Smith, W. E. Amnions, Geo.
T. Ogilvie, Dr. F. A. Bowman, John
Ryan, Robert A. Shular, A. G.
While at this time the money is
not all subscribed it is safe to say
that by dedication day there will not
be a dollar indebtedness, owing to
the enthusiastic interest manifested
on the part of the members, it will
be impossible to estimate the exact
cost of the building at this time as
we are building by day work, but a
conservative estimate for a contract
price would be $23000.00.
The program for laying the cor
ner stone was carried out as follows
on the twenty-first day of January,
A. D. 1917 (Sunday).
The Presbyterian people met in
the Baptist church on that day at 11
o'clock a. m., voluntary, doxology, in
vocation, response by the choir, an
nouncements, offering, hymn No.
470, introducing the sacramcnt, sac
ramental praver, meditation sons by
choir "'Tis Midnight," presenting the
sacramcntal wine and prayer, medi
tation hymn by the choir, '"Tis Mid
night," hymn No. 245, the congrega
tion then repairing to the church site
carried out the program as follows:
Hymn No. 383.
Scripture and pra^v by C. S. Mar
solf. r* -'-M
.Offering, hymn. '"--v..
Address by thgi S. Mar-
REFERENCE—THE STATE BANK OF OMAHA.
The cement for the laying of the
corner stone was spread by Dr. H. k.
Layton, who is the oldest male par
son in the church from point of
Mr. Stephen Varga, who is the next
oldest male person, from point of
membership, deposited the metal
box donated by Farquhar & Sons,
and told of its contents, which is a
Bible, presented by Robert A. Shular
and family, the records of the church
and picture of the old church build
ing, plate of communion bread and
wine, the stone was then placed and
leveled by Geo. W. Penniwell and
Harry Jenkins, the top of the box
was then sealed by Frank Farquhar,
then dedicated by the pastor, C. S.
hymn No. 271.
Hoyle Wayne rammer.
iioyle Wayne Brammer, youngest
child of H. L. and Stella Brammer,
was born July 29, 1916, being at the
time of his death 5 months and 21
Baby Hoyle had been sick since his
birth with heart trouble and continu
ally grew worse until his death. Ail
the aid medical skill and loving
hands could give could not relieve
Today is Your Big Chance
Tomorrow May be too Late
In 1916 Omaha sold over $25,000,000 worth of automobiles. All but about $300,000 of this
amount of money went to eastern manufacturers.
4^ There is manufactured right in Omaha, by the Douglas Motors Corporation, Inc., the
Drummond Car. The best car built in the United States for anything' approaching the price.
This car is built by the same organization that for thirty-tv/o years built wagons and
buggies in Omaha.
There is no other business in the whole world that has shown as great amount of profit in
the same length of time as the automobile business has.
We give herewith what an investment of $1,000 in nine different companies has produced
in a very short space of time.
$1,000 invested in Chalmers Motor Company has
returned in 8 years $ 86,658
$1,000 invested in Chandler Motor Car Company has
returned in 3 years 35,000
$1,000 invested in Enger Motor Car Company has
returned in 5 years 17,006
$1,000 invested in Federal Motor Truck Company has
returned in 7 years 78,782
$1,000 invested in Ford Motor Company of Canada has
returned in 11 years 434,878
$1,000 invested in H. H. Franklin Mfg Company has
returned in 9 years 15,813
$1,000 invested in Hupp Motor Car Company has
returned in 7 years 191,200
$1,000 invested in Paige-Detroit Motor Car Company
has returned in 6 years 24,042
$1,000 invested in Reo Motor Car Company has
returned in 11 years 56,462
Authority Motor Stock, 4th Edition, Published by Slattery »V Co. New York.
Here are the Reasons Why the Douglas Motors
Corporation, Inc., Should Pay Big Dividends.
The Drummond Cars Are Built in Three Styles, All Eight-Cylinder.
1. Omaha is one of the best distributing points for automobiles in the United States.
2. We build one of the best cars built in the United States.
3. It is a western car—built for western people—by western people—managed by western people.
4. Our factory management and our financial management is the best, either east or west to be found in the
The Douglas Motors Corporation is incorporated for $1,000,000. 10,000 shares—par values $100 per share—all
common stock. This company has no bonds, no preferred stock, no mortgages and not one cent of indebtedness.
The stock of this company is selling very rapidly. You can buy it today at $100 per share, its par
value and if you do not buy today the chances are you will pay $125 or $150 per share, or more.
Get in on the ground floor and make money—more money than can be made in any other line of
He leaves to mourn his loss a fath
er, mother, three sisters, two broth
ers, two grandmothers and a host of
relatives and friends.
Funeral services were held from
the home Monday at 11 o'clock, con
aucted by Rev. E. C. Vanderpool, af
ter which the little body was laid to
rest in the Young cemetery.
Mrs. Matthew Bronson.
Sarah E. Prettyman was born near
Dayton, Ohio, December 11, 1844,
and died at the home of her daugh
ter, Mrs. Fred Bryant, near Grand
River, Iowa, January 13, 1917, aged
72 years, 1 month and 4 days. She
removed with her parents to Des
Moines county, Iowa, when a small
child. She was married to Matthew
Bronson in 1866. They then removed
to Decatur county, where she has
resided ever since. To this union
were born seven children all of whom
survive. Her husband preceeded
her to the great beyond in 1888.,
For Sale—On the Stone farm, 6%
miles northwest of Leon, 4% miles
northeast of Decatur, native lumber
of all kinds, fence posts, split or
sawed,, and stove wood. W. w. Ful
Money io loan on somegood farms.
be any betteroff a year from now than you are
if you join our Christmas Savings Club to-day
and save something every week.
Two Different Plans Eight Different Clubs
UNIFORM PAYMENT PLAN
$ .25 Club Will Pay You $ 12.50 Plus Interest
$ .50 Club Will Pay You $ 25.00 Plus Interest
$1.00 Club Will Pay You $ 50.00 Plus Interest
$2.00 Club Will Pay You $100.00 Plus Interest
INCREASING PAYMENT l'LAN
lc Club Will Pay You $ 12.75 Plus
2c Club Will Pay You $ 25.50 Plus
5c Club Will Pay You $ 63.75 Plus
10c Club Will Pay You $127.50 PI
To the above amounts this bank
and mail you a check for the full
amount on December 15, 1917.
DON'T DELAY JOIN TO-DAY
THE LARGEST AND STRONGEST RANK IN LEON
FARMERS & TRADERS