OCR Interpretation

The Coconino sun. (Flagstaff, Ariz.) 1898-1978, January 29, 1898, Image 26

Image and text provided by Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records; Phoenix, AZ

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn87062055/1898-01-29/ed-1/seq-26/

What is OCR?

Thumbnail for 26

Repairs Completed Burned Out Again-
Will Be Reopened.
On Sunday morning, January 1G, at 4
o'clock, Johnson tunnel, on the Santa
Te Pacific, was discovered to be on fire,
and all cllorts to put it out were una
vailing. The tunnel was timbered, and
being In loose ground many caves
occurred. The holes wcro filled with
wood and hundreds of cords were used.
This Is the first trouble experienced
since the road was built.
The tunnel was rctlmbered, tho work
being finished Thursday night. Aboiit
8 o'clock lire was discovered In the new
timbers, and It was soon beyond con
trol, and Is now entirely burned out.
It is said that over 200 carloads of old
ties were used us lagging in ret I inher
ing the tunnel. With this amount of
timber burning, some Idea of tho lire
can be obtained.
Since January!) eight men have been
Injured in the tunnel and two killed.
Of tho Injured two have since died.
The Injured were C. II. Matthews, John
Dcnair, William Grist, It. Archambeau,
James Voteau, J. F. Hanson and Jesus
Chavez and an Indian.
The Injured are in the hospital at
Albuquerque, with the exception of
John Denuir, who Is In tho hospital at
Prescott,and all are reported as improv
ing. William Grist had his skull broken
and Is In a serious condition.
As soon us the tunnel becomes cool
enough the work of (.'leaning It out nnd
retlmberlng will be begun, and it will
probably bo two weeks before through
trallle can be resumed.
During the tunnel lire Thursday
night the Flagstaff lire company was
telegraphed for by the railroad olllclals.
The company" responded and had their
apparatus loaded on tho cars waiting
for orders to go, but at midnight, word
was sent that the lire was beyond all
control and their ad would not be
Death of C H. Matthew.
Charles II. Matthews, the bridge su
perintendent, who was Injured at the
first cave-In or the Johnson canyon tun
nel, died in the hospital In this city at
B:30 o'clock this morning. He was
brought to the hospital January 19, and
was then suffering with a dislocation of
the left hip, besides a number of burns
on the body from the hot rock which
fell upon him. It is also probable that
he Inhaled considerable smoke, which
may have been the principal cause of
his death.
For tlw first couple of days ho seemed
to be Improving, and strong hopes were
entertained for his recovery. During
tho past three days, however, his condi
tion has been critical and ho continued
to fail.
His wife has been caring for him ever
since he was taken to the hospital, and
was by his side when ho died.
Mr. Matthews' home was In Williams,
Ariz. He had been In the employ of
the Atlantic and P.ielflc and of the
Santa Ye Pacific for many years In the
capacity of superintendent of bridges.
He leaves a wife, but no children. Sev
eral of his brothers work on the rail
road out west. One of them, hearing
of his serious condition, camo in from
the west last night. The mother of
the deceased and other relatives reside
In Chicago. Albuquerque Citizen, Jan
uary 23.
J. W, Thurbcr has renewed his con
tract wlththeSanta Ye Pacific Hallroad
company for running the stage line be
tween Flagstaff and the Gr.ind Canyon
of the Colorado river. Mr. Thurber
has also secured the lease of the hotel
at the canyon. This means that the
stage lino will be run In llrst-class stylo
during tho summer, and tourists will
lnve no cause to find f.iult with tho
trip or the hotel accommodations.

xml | txt