About Delaware advertiser and farmer's journal. (Wilmington, Del.) 1828-1831
Wilmington, Del. (1828-1831)
- Delaware advertiser and farmer's journal. : (Wilmington, Del.) 1828-1831
- Place of publication:
- Wilmington, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- W.A. Mendenhall
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1831?
- Vol. 2, no. 1 (Sept. 18, 1828)-
- Delaware--New Castle County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211986
- New Castle County (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Wilmington (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microfilm from the Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 87062239
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Wilmingtonian, The Wilmingtonian, and Delaware Register, The Wilmingtonian, and Delaware Advertiser, Delaware Weekly Advertiser and Farmer's Journal and Delaware Advertiser and Farmer's Journal
The Wilmingtonian was first published in Wilmington, Delaware, on September 18, 1823. Published by Mendenhall and Waters every Saturday, the newspaper was housed on Market Street and cost $2.50 per year. The Wilmingtonian aimed to provide miscellaneous and literary news drawn from a variety of sources. It also covered political events, foreign and domestic, as well as agricultural and manufacturing news. In addition, the publishers stated that the newspaper would be strictly neutral and would not declare for either the Federalist or Democratic parties. The Wilmingtonian also noted that "To our female patrons, we will promise that a portion of our paper will be appropriated to their reading."
With the May 20, 1824 issue, the paper's title changed to the Wilmingtonian, and Delaware Register. Beginning with the September 29, 1825 issue, William A. Mendenhall was listed as the sole publisher, a position he maintained through 1831. On November 10, 1825, the paper's title changed again to the Wilmingtonian, and Delaware Advertiser. After September 20, 1827, it was renamed the Delaware Weekly Advertiser and Farmer's Journal. On September 11, 1828, the title was changed one final time to the Delaware Advertiser and Farmer's Journal. The newspaper retained that name through the fall of 1831 when it was absorbed by the Delaware Gazette and American Watchman.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE