Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Delaware Republican. (Wilmington, Del.) 1843-1874
Wilmington, Del. (1843-1874)
- Delaware Republican. : (Wilmington, Del.) 1843-1874
- Place of publication:
- Wilmington, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Allderdice, Jeandell & Miles
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1843? Ceased in July 1874.
- Semiweekly 1844-
- Wilmington (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microfilm from Wilmington Institute Free Library.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 43 (Feb. 24, 1843).
- Issues for <Feb. 24, 1843-Nov. 18, 1861> called: <v. 3, no. 43-v. 25, no. 99>; issue for <June 15, 1865> unnumbered.
- Vols. for <May 30, 1844-Nov. 18, 1861> called also whole no. <576-5001>.
- sn 87062253
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Delaware Republican, and Farmers', Manufacturers' and Mechanics' Advocate, Delaware Republican, Delaware Weekly Republican, The Wilmington Daily Republican and The Evening Republican
Formed by the union of the Democratic Free Press and Farmers', Manufacturers' and Mechanics' Advocate and the American Republican, the Delaware Republican, and Farmers', Manufacturers' and Mechanics' Advocate was established in Wilmington, Delaware, in 1841 by Henry Cannon. Published three times a week, the newspaper also included a weekly edition called the Delaware Weekly Republican.
Around 1843, Cannon sold his interest in the paper to William Jeandell, William Miles, and John Alderdice. The Delaware Republican competed for years with another Wilmingon newspaper, the Democratic Delaware Gazette. Due to disagreement among the partners, the Delaware Republican was sold to Henry S. Evans, who appointed his brother Columbus P. Evans as manager. Beginning in 1845, George Vernon entered into partnership with Columbus P. Evans to publish the Delaware Republican. In 1853, Evans died leaving Vernon the sole proprietor. Under Vernon's leadership, the Delaware Republican maintained a political presence as a Whig and later Republican publication. Similar to its Democratic counterpart, the Republican was widely known and influential throughout the state.
Beginning in 1874, the Republican shifted from a weekly to a daily publication schedule, and consequently, its name was changed to the Daily Republican until 1890 when it was renamed the Wilmington Daily Republican. Following George Vernon's death in 1901, ownership remained with the Republican Printing and Publishing Company, now controlled by Vernon's sons. For a brief six-month period in 1902, the paper was published as the Evening Republican before returning to the title of the Daily Republican. After a period of contention, the Vernon brothers dissolved the company. In November 1905, the Daily Republican merged with the Evening Journal and ceased to exist as a separate publication.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE