Newspaper Page Text
iTU ily Leader. ,y m THE ONLY ASSOCIATED PRESS REPORT IN MARIETTA BY PRIVATE WIRE. j. -j"" --" ----- Marietta VJvL tr VOjL. VII NO 85 Some Comparative FaGts -- e-COHBERNINS THE---- History of Washington bounty. Washington County was formed July 26th, 1788, by proclamation of Gover nor Arthur St Clair, being the first county formed within the limits of Ohio. The original boundaries of tho coun ty wore as follows: "Beginning on the bank of the Ohio river, whero tho west ern boundary line of Pennsylvania crosses ll, and running with that line to Lako Erie; thenco along tho south ern shoro of said lake to tho mouth of Cuyahoga river; thenco up the said river to the poi tage between It and tho Tuscarawas branch of tho Muskingum; thence down that branch, to tho forks at the crossing placo above Fort Laur ens; thenco with a line to bo drawn westerly to tho portage on that branch of tho Dig Miami on which tho fort stood that was taken by the French In 1752, until it moots tho road from th lower Shawnesc town to Sandusky, thenco Bouth to tho Scioto river, and thence with that river to the mouth, and thence up tho Ohio river to the placo of beginning." Tho area com prised more than the eastern half of tho now State of Ohio. Tho present area of the County Is 627 squaio mile? and lfe population as shown by tho con 8iis of 1000 was 48,245. FIRST SETTLERS. According to tho iccords the follow ing aro the names of the flist forty eightsettlersofWashlngtoncounty.who landed on the east bank of tho Muskln gum river on tho 7th day of April, 1788: General Rufus Putnam, Superintendent of the Colony; Colonels Ebonezcr Sproat, Return Jonathan Mclgs, Major Anselm Tupper and John Matthews, surveyors; Major Haffield White, Steward and Quartermaster; Captains Jonathan Dovol, Joslah Munro, Daniel Davis, Peregrino Foster, Jethro Put nam, William Gray and Ezekiel Coop er; Jabez Barlow, Daniel Bushnell, Phincas Coburn, Ebenezcr Corey, Sam uel Cushlng, Jorvis Cutler, Israel Dan- ton, Jonas Davis, Allen Dovol, Gilberc Devol, Jr., Isaac Dodgo, Oliver Dodge, Samuel Fclshdw, Hezeklah Flint, Hcz eklah Flint, Jr., John Gardner, Benja min Griswold, Ellzur Klrtland, Thco- phllus Learned, Joseph Lincoln, Sim con Martin, William Mason, Henry Maxon, William Miller, Edmund Moulton, William Moulton, Amos Por ter, Allen Putnam, Benjamin Shaw, Earl Sproat, .David Wallls, Joseph Wells, Joslah White, Peletlah White. Josiah Whitrldge. The first boat of families arrived on tho 10th of August, In tho same year, consisting of General Tupper's, Col. Ichabod Nye's, Col. Cushlng's, Major Coburn's, and Major Goodale's. In the spring of 1780 settlements were pushed out to Belpre, Waterford, anil Duck Creek, where thoy began to clear and Plant tho land, build bouses and stock ades. At Belpro (tho French for "beautiful meadow") were three stock- Washington County's Second ades, tho upper, lower and middlo; tho last of which was called "Farmcr'n Castle," which stocd on the banks of the Ohio, nearly, if tot qulto, opposite tho beautiful Island" since known a3 "Blennerhassett," tho scene of Burr's conspiracy. NYE'S REMINISCENpES. Under tho head of "Nye's Reminis cences" In Howe's History of Ohio, wo find tho following: "During the 'Indian war which soon succeeded tho llrst' settlements, tho Inhabitants suffered much for tho neccssorlcs of life. Al though some of tho settlers were killed, and otters carried Into captivity, yet MMMHaaaaMiBMiiniannMaaBiBaaaaHnMMHia tho massacro at Big Bottom was the most alarming event. Tho escapo of the settlers from greater suffering from this source was owing to the strong fortifications erected, and tho admir able judgment and forslght they dis played, In taking precautions against danger. Among tho incidents con nected with tho troubles with tho In dians, to which we have barely space to allude, was the taking prisoner at Wat- .crford of DanioKConvcrs (then a lad of sixteen)' who was carried to De troit; tho murder of Warth, while at work near Fort Harmar; tho taking prisoner of Major Goodale, of Belpre, who was, It Is supposed, murdered, tho death of Captain Rogers, who wo3 out with Mr. Henderson, as a spy, and was killed near the Muskingum, abou a mile from Marietta; tho death of ; Mr. Waterman, near Waterford, and the narrow escapo of Return J. Meigs, into Fort Harmar, by his fleetness of foot, while pursued by the enemy. On thcothor hand retaliation wns in a measure inflicted upon the Indians and among thoso most active In this duty was Hamil ton uarr, a. man emiuuiiuy uiBunguisii- cd as an Indian hunter and spy. Dur ing the war a stockade was erected near the mouth of Olive Green Crook, above Waterford, which became the fiontler garrison, and had In It about seven or eight men and boys able to bear arms, called Fort Frye. Just be foro Wayne's victory, August I, 1794. they lost one man, a Mr. Abel Sherman, who went into tho woods Incautiously, and was killed by the Indians. A tomb 3tone with a scalped head rudely carved upon It marks the spot where ho lies. THE LANDING. Speaking'ot the landing, Howe says. "WJth tho aid of ropes and some sol diers from the garrison scntto their as sitnnco by the Coromnnder, and cross ing the Muskingum a little above its mouth thoy landed at the upper point about noon on the 7th day of April 1788, ever since observed as the anni versary of tho first settlement of Ohio Jervis Cutler, a lad of sixteen, always claimed that ho was tho first perso.i who leaped ashoro when tho boat land ed; and wns also the first to cut down a tree, which commenced tho settle ment of Ohio. At tho time of landing Captain Pipe, a principal Chief of the Dolaware Indians, who lived on the headwaters of tho Muskingum with about seventy of his tribe, men, women and children, was encamped at the mouth of the river, whither they ha.'. come to trade their peltries with tin settlers at Fort Harmar. Thoy re ceived tho strangers very graciously, shaking hands with them, saying they were welcome to the shoro of tho Mus kingum, upon whoso waters they dwelt. The pioneers Immediately com- Court House, Erected In i822. menced landing tho boards brought from Buffalo for the erection of tempo rary huts and setting up General Put nam's large marquee. Under tho broad roof of this hempen houso ho resided and transacted the business of tho col ony for soveral months until tho block houses Qf Campus Martins, as their now garrison was called, were finished. On tho 9th the surveyors commenced to lay off tho olght-acro lots. Tho lab orers and others commenced" to cut down the trees, rtnd by tho 12th about f0ur acres of land wore cleared. Log 'houaes-wero-Jmllt to shelter their pro visions and for dwolllngs, All were MARIETTA, QHIO, TUVESpAY, AP11IL 9, 1901. dollghtcd with tho fertility of tho s6ltf tho hcalthfulncss of the cllmato and tho beauty of the country. Their townj was at first called Adclphla, but thh namo was changed as soon as tho dl rectors mot on July 2nd, to Marietta? In honor of Mario Antoinette, tho Queen of that French King nnd natlonj who had holpcd theso bravo men, iK tho times that tried men's souls." "J PORT OF CLEARANCE. ,; Away back In tho early days Mari etta was made "a port of clearance,' uum wjiiuu vusiduiH cuum reuuivu uvu lar papers for a foreign, country. "This circumstance was tho causo of,'a? curious Incident, which took placo In tho year 1806 or 1807. A ship, built at? Mnrlnttn.. nlpsirncl from thnt. nort with1 i SSI1 Washington County's New a cargo of pork, flour, etc., for New Orleans. From thence sho sailed to England with a load of cotton, and be ing chartered to tako a cargo to St. Petersburg, tho Americans being at that time carriers for half tho woi Id. reached that port in safety. Her pap ers being examined by a naval officer, and dating from the port of Marietta, Ohio, sho was seized upon the pica of their being a forgery, as no such pou was known In tho civilized world With considerable difficulty tho Captain procured a map of tho United States and pointing lth his finger to tho mouth of the Missis sippi, traced tho course of that stream to the mouth of the Ohio; froir thenco he led the astonished and ad miring naval officer along the uevlous track of the latter river to the port of Marietta, at tho mouth of the Mus kingum, from whence ho had taken his departure. This explanation was en tirely satisfactory and tho American was' dismissed with every token of re gard and respect." m WASHINGTON COUNTY'S FIRSr OFFICERS 1788. Sheriif Ebenczer Sproat. Prosecuting Attorney Paul Feailng Clerk of Courts Return J. Moigs. PUBLIC OFFICIALS. Following aro tho officers for Wash ington county and the city of Mailctta WASHINGTON COUNTY. Representative C. C. Mlddlc&wtut. Auditor C. C. Chamberlain. Probate Judgo C. H. Nixon. Treasurer H. P. Bode. Clerk of Courts Orlando Trotter. Sheriff J. C. Morrow. Prosecuting Attorney J. C. Brcnan. Recorder G. W. Bonnell. Surveyor Lovl Bartlott. Coroner Dr. J. B. McCluro. Commissioners W. L. Hndley, Hen ry Strecker, D. R. Shaw. Infirmary Directors George Smith, William Cranston, J. K. Gregory. MARIETTA'S FIRST OFFICERS 1801. Marietta was Incorporated January 1, 1801. Tho first officials were: Rufus Putnam, Chairman. Ichabod Nyo, Treasurer. David Putnnm, Clerk. Itufus Putnam, Griffin Grccno, Jos eph Oilman, Councilman. CITY OFFICIALS. Mayor William E. Sykes. City Clerk Carl Becker. City Solicitor C. W. Richards. Marshal Jacob II. Dyo. City Commissioner Charles J. Best City Engineer Vllllnra P. Mason. Superintendent of "Water Works J. Si H. Torner. , JwClty Electrician Thomas Hancock. V Chief of Fire Department Earl 'Davis. fj Vhai toaster F. II. Hnrdlng. MEMBERS OF PRESENT COUNCIL. t' First Waid B. Evclelgh, Jacob P. iMarsrli. fe- Second Ward Warren D. Stralh, L PJ'. 'Cutter J? Third Ward Dr. H. N. Curtis, W1I filam L. Kerns. W Fourth Ward Adam Lorenz, Sani- Riol H Plumer. I Filth Ward J. L. Toller, George iSforck fe' Sixth Waul B. F. Gossett, S. A. Coffman. NEW COUNCIL. f',Flr&t Ward Jacob P. Marsch, Court House, Erected in 19oi. Thomas Matchott. cond Ward L. J. Cuttorffarrcii 6.'Strainw l(1" . Third Ward William Kerfis; Dr. Harry N. Curtis. Fourth Ward Samuel H. Plume, Adam Lorenz. Fifth Ward J. L. Toller, C. S. Bon edict. Sixth Waid S. A. Coffman, Henry Savage. WATER WORKS TRUSTEES. John Kaiser, John Mills, J. H. Mc Connell. W. If. Eblnger, member elect. BOARD OF EDUCATION. R, L. Curtis, President. Charles Melsenhefder, Clerk. George B. Eyssen, Treasurer. Membeis R. L. Curtis, W. S. Dye, Gco-ge B. Eyssen, Charles Meiscnhcl dor, G. A. Palmer, C. R. Richardson. Members-elect E. M. Booth, L. P. Hill, H.' H. Miller. BOARD OF HEALTH. President, W. E. Sykes. ' ' Clerk, Dr. J. P. Mason. Health Officer Dr. J. B. McClure. Sanitary Policeman D. W. Sharps Milk and Meat Inspector, Phil Petera. Members W. E. Sykes, W. A. Hall, Herman Fischer, John McCall, Phillip Spies, R. A. Underwood, John CIsler. Policemen George Slobohm, Chailos 0. Ray, Rolla G. Putnam, Amos Wilght, Charles M. Coffman, James A. Honey, Paul Goerlltz, Frank Kerns. CHILDREN'S HOME OFFICIALS. Prof. J. L. Jordan Superintendent. Trustees S. J. Hathaway, W. A. Sniffen, L. W. Ellenwood, W. F. Rob ertson . OFFICIAL PROGRAM. 10:00 O'CLOCK, A. M. Informal reception of tho Grand Lodge of Ohio, F. & A. M., at Ameri can Union Lodgo room. 1:00 O'CLOCK. P. M. All civic and military bodies und visiting Masons will meet at the City Hall, whero tho first division of tho parade will bo formed In tho following. order: 1. City Marshal and Police. 2. S. of V. Drum rorps. 3. G. A. R. 4. Sons or Veterans. 5. Co. B. O. N. G. 6. College Cadets, 7. Mariotta Cadets. 8. City Council. 0. CltytOfllc!als. 10. Waterworks Trustees . 11. Board W Health, 12. Boardof, Education . "E A'ti. i (Continued cmeighth page.) orrr-Jtope layir . i Order of Tasoi?$. t fBY J. H. BROMWELL, Tho question is often asked why it is that the members of the Order of Free and Accepted Masons are called upon to lay corner stones of public buildings whllo other secret organizations of a similar chat deter aro not thus called upon. The answer is found In the his torical origin and development of thoso bodies. It is undisputed that of all the existing secret organizations In tho world Masonry Is tho most ancient. All others date their origin to no more remote periods than tho beginning of tho last century while the tradition of tho Masonic Ordcrcarrles it back to the days of Solomon's Temple and actual historical evidence exists of Masonic organization in England and on tho Continent at least as far back as five hundred years ago. During all the tlmo of its existence It has claimed this privilege and honor of laying corner stones and thus appropriated that field into which none of the modern orders of more recent origin have attempted to Intrude. The reason that modern speculative Free Masons, very few of- whom have any actual knowledge or skill In hand ling tho working tools of an operative Mason, arc called upon for tho per formance of thoso public ceremonials Is that tho Free Masonry of today is tho direct outgrowth of actual Oper ative Masonry, made up of men who shaped tho rough ashlars Into smooth stones; laid thorn in courses in the edi fice; ornamented It with suitable de signs or as Masters acted as overseers of the work. The change from tins systqm of opcratlvo Masonry to tho modern form occurred some three hun dred years or more ago. At that tlmo tho guilds of Masons In England and Scotland began to admit into their Lodges gentlemen of distincttaon as honorary members. They also elected men of title and rank to act as patrons of thejOrder. This, system ofjiqnorary membership became quite popular until 'tho number of - non-operative becamo so great and their influonce, by reason of their high standing in society, so strong that they began to and did or ganize Lodges of speculatho Masons in which membership was open to thoso who were not actual workers. Theso speculative Lodges retained the system of instruction and the method of government together with tho means of recognition by signs and passwords that had been In vogue In tho operative Lodges. Each imple ment of Masonry had Its special alio gorical lesson. The Lodges had their Masters, Wardens, Deacons, whose duties were almost Identical with thoso of the older Lodges. They received be ginners as apprentices; after a certain period of probation and instruction they wero made craftsmen; and with still further knowledge, experience and Washington County's First 1 probation they wero made Masteis or Overseers. Just when tho operatlvo Mason bogan to observo tho customs o fplaclng tho corner stono upon which tho building was to bo constructed In its place with special ceremonials Is not at all positively known but undoubtedly had its origin In that era of church, castlo nnd palaco building which mark tho days of the upheaval from tho darkness of tho mid dlo ages. Thero Is historical ovldence to show that tho craft who wero em ployed upon these great buildings were divided regularly into various classes, each vylth Its appropriate duties nnd all WvM A - T V i TEN CENTS A WEEK GRAND SECRETARY,; under a discipline more or lesi strict. Tho remarkable resemblance between thesn Masonic guilds or associations of five or six hundred years ago and tho modern trades unions and labor orga nizations of today has been often not iced and commented upon but tho limited space for this article will pre vent my tracing theso resemblances. The custom of placing tho corner stono at tho North East angle of the building Is comparatively modern as it was indiscriminately placed at any corner to suit tho convenience of tho work until at least quite modern times but it is now a settled custom to place It in that position and one. of tho les sons of tho Masonic degrees is based on this fact. Most of thcpublicbuildings of the Un ited States and other countries where Fieo Masonry flourishes have had tho coi ner stones laid by the Masonic Craft and the most distinguished men who hae been members of tho Ordei' have at various times participated in these ceremonies. It Is especially appiopriate that hero In the city of Marietta tho corner stone of this public building should bo laid by the Masonic Order for in this very city was laid, by American Union Lodge No. 1, the corner stone of that magnificent Masonic edifice which lias been constructed in the State of Ohio which is made up of over five hundred Masonic Lodgo rooms and gives shelter to nearly fifty thousand worthy Master Masons and we may well hope that as our Masonic Order has thus been laid in this city upon so stable a founda tion that the shock of tho elements and the violence of manhasnot been able to shako its beautiful superstructure, so this buidlng which is to be erected on tho corner stono about to be laid shall withstand the ravages of time and bo handed down to the future generations who shall make their homes In this beautiful city as a monument to tho enterprise of tho citizens of Marietta, and Washington county of today. STEEL CORPORATION Will Not Consider. Any Demands of the Engineers' Union, By Associated Press. Chicago, Ills.., April 8. The Unite! States Steel Corporation today Indicat ed its position in the marine engineers' strike by a clear cut Intimation to thu -Marino Engineers' Benevolent Associa tion that it would not consider any demands upon tho part of the Engin eers Union; that its boats would bo taken out of the Lake Carriers' Asso ciation and if tho employes of tho WSP Court House, Erected In,i799. Steel Corporation desired to tako up any grievances, they would be respect fully received and tho grievances taken under consideration. Tho right of tho Engineers' Union to say whether boats belonging to the steel trust should bo enrolled In tho Lake Carriers Associa tion or not was flatly disclaimed. It was reported today that President Uhlor had decided to withdraw his boycott on tho Lake Carriers 'and al low members of tho union to treat di rectly with their employers without re gard to membership In thut organiza tion. If such action Is taken the ma jority of engineers will bo at work to-morrow. V $ tf3 o a . ft V- i. . ..'