THE ONLY ASSOCIATED PRESS REPORT IN MARIETTA BY PRIVATE WIRE.
-j"" --" -----
VOjL. VII NO 85
Some Comparative FaGts
-- e-COHBERNINS THE----
History of Washington bounty.
Washington County was formed July
26th, 1788, by proclamation of Gover
nor Arthur St Clair, being the first
county formed within the limits of
The original boundaries of tho coun
ty wore as follows: "Beginning on the
bank of the Ohio river, whero tho west
ern boundary line of Pennsylvania
crosses ll, and running with that line
to Lako Erie; thenco along tho south
ern shoro of said lake to tho mouth of
Cuyahoga river; thenco up the said
river to the poi tage between It and tho
Tuscarawas branch of tho Muskingum;
thence down that branch, to tho forks
at the crossing placo above Fort Laur
ens; thenco with a line to bo drawn
westerly to tho portage on that branch
of tho Dig Miami on which tho fort
stood that was taken by the French In
1752, until it moots tho road from th
lower Shawnesc town to Sandusky,
thenco Bouth to tho Scioto river, and
thence with that river to the mouth,
and thence up tho Ohio river to the
placo of beginning." Tho area com
prised more than the eastern half of
tho now State of Ohio. Tho present
area of the County Is 627 squaio mile?
and lfe population as shown by tho con
8iis of 1000 was 48,245.
According to tho iccords the follow
ing aro the names of the flist forty
eightsettlersofWashlngtoncounty.who landed on the east bank of tho Muskln
gum river on tho 7th day of April, 1788:
General Rufus Putnam, Superintendent
of the Colony; Colonels Ebonezcr
Sproat, Return Jonathan Mclgs, Major
Anselm Tupper and John Matthews,
surveyors; Major Haffield White,
Steward and Quartermaster; Captains
Jonathan Dovol, Joslah Munro, Daniel
Davis, Peregrino Foster, Jethro Put
nam, William Gray and Ezekiel Coop
er; Jabez Barlow, Daniel Bushnell,
Phincas Coburn, Ebenezcr Corey, Sam
uel Cushlng, Jorvis Cutler, Israel Dan-
ton, Jonas Davis, Allen Dovol, Gilberc
Devol, Jr., Isaac Dodgo, Oliver Dodge,
Samuel Fclshdw, Hezeklah Flint, Hcz
eklah Flint, Jr., John Gardner, Benja
min Griswold, Ellzur Klrtland, Thco-
phllus Learned, Joseph Lincoln, Sim
con Martin, William Mason, Henry
Maxon, William Miller, Edmund
Moulton, William Moulton, Amos Por
ter, Allen Putnam, Benjamin Shaw,
Earl Sproat, .David Wallls, Joseph
Wells, Joslah White, Peletlah White.
The first boat of families arrived on
tho 10th of August, In tho same year,
consisting of General Tupper's, Col.
Ichabod Nye's, Col. Cushlng's, Major
Coburn's, and Major Goodale's. In the
spring of 1780 settlements were pushed
out to Belpre, Waterford, anil Duck
Creek, where thoy began to clear and
Plant tho land, build bouses and stock
ades. At Belpro (tho French for
"beautiful meadow") were three stock-
Washington County's Second
ades, tho upper, lower and middlo; tho
last of which was called "Farmcr'n
Castle," which stocd on the banks of
the Ohio, nearly, if tot qulto, opposite
tho beautiful Island" since known a3
"Blennerhassett," tho scene of Burr's
Under tho head of "Nye's Reminis
cences" In Howe's History of Ohio, wo
find tho following: "During the 'Indian
war which soon succeeded tho llrst'
settlements, tho Inhabitants suffered
much for tho neccssorlcs of life. Al
though some of tho settlers were killed,
and otters carried Into captivity, yet
tho massacro at Big Bottom was the
most alarming event. Tho escapo of
the settlers from greater suffering from
this source was owing to the strong
fortifications erected, and tho admir
able judgment and forslght they dis
played, In taking precautions against
danger. Among tho incidents con
nected with tho troubles with tho In
dians, to which we have barely space to
allude, was the taking prisoner at Wat-
.crford of DanioKConvcrs (then a lad
of sixteen)' who was carried to De
troit; tho murder of Warth, while at
work near Fort Harmar; tho taking
prisoner of Major Goodale, of Belpre,
who was, It Is supposed, murdered,
tho death of Captain Rogers, who wo3
out with Mr. Henderson, as a spy, and
was killed near the Muskingum, abou
a mile from Marietta; tho death of ;
Mr. Waterman, near Waterford, and
the narrow escapo of Return J. Meigs,
into Fort Harmar, by his fleetness of
foot, while pursued by the enemy. On
thcothor hand retaliation wns in
a measure inflicted upon the
Indians and among thoso most
active In this duty was Hamil
ton uarr, a. man emiuuiiuy uiBunguisii-
cd as an Indian hunter and spy. Dur
ing the war a stockade was erected
near the mouth of Olive Green Crook,
above Waterford, which became the
fiontler garrison, and had In It about
seven or eight men and boys able to
bear arms, called Fort Frye. Just be
foro Wayne's victory, August I, 1794.
they lost one man, a Mr. Abel Sherman,
who went into tho woods Incautiously,
and was killed by the Indians. A tomb
3tone with a scalped head rudely
carved upon It marks the spot where
Speaking'ot the landing, Howe says.
"WJth tho aid of ropes and some sol
diers from the garrison scntto their as
sitnnco by the Coromnnder, and cross
ing the Muskingum a little above its
mouth thoy landed at the upper point
about noon on the 7th day of April
1788, ever since observed as the anni
versary of tho first settlement of Ohio
Jervis Cutler, a lad of sixteen, always
claimed that ho was tho first perso.i
who leaped ashoro when tho boat land
ed; and wns also the first to cut down
a tree, which commenced tho settle
ment of Ohio. At tho time of landing
Captain Pipe, a principal Chief of the
Dolaware Indians, who lived on the
headwaters of tho Muskingum with
about seventy of his tribe, men, women
and children, was encamped at the
mouth of the river, whither they ha.'.
come to trade their peltries with tin
settlers at Fort Harmar. Thoy re
ceived tho strangers very graciously,
shaking hands with them, saying they
were welcome to the shoro of tho Mus
kingum, upon whoso waters they
dwelt. The pioneers Immediately com-
Court House, Erected In i822.
menced landing tho boards brought
from Buffalo for the erection of tempo
rary huts and setting up General Put
nam's large marquee. Under tho broad
roof of this hempen houso ho resided
and transacted the business of tho col
ony for soveral months until tho block
houses Qf Campus Martins, as their
now garrison was called, were finished.
On tho 9th the surveyors commenced to
lay off tho olght-acro lots. Tho lab
orers and others commenced" to cut
down the trees, rtnd by tho 12th about
f0ur acres of land wore cleared. Log
'houaes-wero-Jmllt to shelter their pro
visions and for dwolllngs, All were
MARIETTA, QHIO, TUVESpAY, AP11IL 9, 1901.
dollghtcd with tho fertility of tho s6ltf
tho hcalthfulncss of the cllmato and
tho beauty of the country. Their townj
was at first called Adclphla, but thh
namo was changed as soon as tho dl
rectors mot on July 2nd, to Marietta?
In honor of Mario Antoinette, tho
Queen of that French King nnd natlonj
who had holpcd theso bravo men, iK
tho times that tried men's souls." "J
PORT OF CLEARANCE. ,;
Away back In tho early days Mari
etta was made "a port of clearance,'
uum wjiiuu vusiduiH cuum reuuivu uvu
lar papers for a foreign, country.
"This circumstance was tho causo of,'a?
curious Incident, which took placo In
tho year 1806 or 1807. A ship, built at?
Mnrlnttn.. nlpsirncl from thnt. nort with1
Washington County's New
a cargo of pork, flour, etc., for New
Orleans. From thence sho sailed to
England with a load of cotton, and be
ing chartered to tako a cargo to St.
Petersburg, tho Americans being at
that time carriers for half tho woi Id.
reached that port in safety. Her pap
ers being examined by a naval officer,
and dating from the port of Marietta,
Ohio, sho was seized upon the pica of
their being a forgery, as no such pou
was known In tho civilized world
With considerable difficulty tho
Captain procured a map of
tho United States and pointing lth
his finger to tho mouth of the Missis
sippi, traced tho course of that
stream to the mouth of the Ohio; froir
thenco he led the astonished and ad
miring naval officer along the uevlous
track of the latter river to the port of
Marietta, at tho mouth of the Mus
kingum, from whence ho had taken his
departure. This explanation was en
tirely satisfactory and tho American
was' dismissed with every token of re
gard and respect." m
WASHINGTON COUNTY'S FIRSr
Sheriif Ebenczer Sproat.
Prosecuting Attorney Paul Feailng
Clerk of Courts Return J. Moigs.
Following aro tho officers for Wash
ington county and the city of Mailctta
Representative C. C. Mlddlc&wtut.
Auditor C. C. Chamberlain.
Probate Judgo C. H. Nixon.
Treasurer H. P. Bode.
Clerk of Courts Orlando Trotter.
Sheriff J. C. Morrow.
Prosecuting Attorney J. C. Brcnan.
Recorder G. W. Bonnell.
Surveyor Lovl Bartlott.
Coroner Dr. J. B. McCluro.
Commissioners W. L. Hndley, Hen
ry Strecker, D. R. Shaw.
Infirmary Directors George Smith,
William Cranston, J. K. Gregory.
MARIETTA'S FIRST OFFICERS
Marietta was Incorporated January 1,
1801. Tho first officials were:
Rufus Putnam, Chairman.
Ichabod Nyo, Treasurer.
David Putnnm, Clerk.
Itufus Putnam, Griffin Grccno, Jos
eph Oilman, Councilman.
Mayor William E. Sykes.
City Clerk Carl Becker.
City Solicitor C. W. Richards.
Marshal Jacob II. Dyo.
City Commissioner Charles J. Best
City Engineer Vllllnra P. Mason.
Superintendent of "Water Works
J. Si H. Torner. ,
JwClty Electrician Thomas Hancock.
V Chief of Fire Department Earl
fj Vhai toaster F. II. Hnrdlng.
MEMBERS OF PRESENT COUNCIL.
t' First Waid B. Evclelgh, Jacob P.
fe- Second Ward Warren D. Stralh, L
J? Third Ward Dr. H. N. Curtis, W1I
filam L. Kerns.
W Fourth Ward Adam Lorenz, Sani-
Riol H Plumer.
I Filth Ward J. L. Toller, George
fe' Sixth Waul B. F. Gossett, S. A.
f',Flr&t Ward Jacob P. Marsch,
Court House, Erected in 19oi.
cond Ward L. J. Cuttorffarrcii
6.'Strainw l(1" .
Third Ward William Kerfis;
Dr. Harry N. Curtis.
Fourth Ward Samuel H. Plume,
Fifth Ward J. L. Toller, C. S. Bon
edict. Sixth Waid S. A. Coffman, Henry
WATER WORKS TRUSTEES.
John Kaiser, John Mills, J. H. Mc
Connell. W. If. Eblnger, member
BOARD OF EDUCATION.
L. Curtis, President.
Charles Melsenhefder, Clerk.
George B. Eyssen, Treasurer.
Membeis R. L. Curtis, W. S. Dye,
Gco-ge B. Eyssen, Charles Meiscnhcl
dor, G. A. Palmer, C. R. Richardson.
Members-elect E. M. Booth, L. P.
Hill, H.' H. Miller.
BOARD OF HEALTH.
President, W. E. Sykes. ' '
Clerk, Dr. J. P. Mason.
Health Officer Dr. J. B. McClure.
Sanitary Policeman D. W. Sharps
Milk and Meat Inspector, Phil Petera.
Members W. E. Sykes, W. A. Hall,
Herman Fischer, John McCall, Phillip
Spies, R. A. Underwood, John CIsler.
Policemen George Slobohm, Chailos
0. Ray, Rolla G. Putnam, Amos
Wilght, Charles M. Coffman, James A.
Honey, Paul Goerlltz, Frank Kerns.
CHILDREN'S HOME OFFICIALS.
Prof. J. L. Jordan Superintendent.
Trustees S. J. Hathaway, W. A.
Sniffen, L. W. Ellenwood, W. F. Rob
10:00 O'CLOCK, A. M.
Informal reception of tho Grand
Lodge of Ohio, F. & A. M., at Ameri
can Union Lodgo room.
1:00 O'CLOCK. P. M.
All civic and military bodies und
visiting Masons will meet at the City
Hall, whero tho first division of tho
parade will bo formed In tho following.
1. City Marshal and Police.
2. S. of V. Drum rorps.
3. G. A. R.
4. Sons or Veterans.
5. Co. B. O. N. G.
6. College Cadets,
7. Mariotta Cadets.
8. City Council.
10. Waterworks Trustees .
11. Board W Health,
12. Boardof, Education .
(Continued cmeighth page.)
orrr-Jtope layir .
i Order of Tasoi?$.
t fBY J. H. BROMWELL,
Tho question is often asked why it is
that the members of the Order of Free
and Accepted Masons are called upon
to lay corner stones of public buildings
whllo other secret organizations of a
similar chat deter aro not thus called
upon. The answer is found In the his
torical origin and development of thoso
bodies. It is undisputed that of all the
existing secret organizations In tho
world Masonry Is tho most ancient.
All others date their origin to no more
remote periods than tho beginning of
tho last century while the tradition of
tho Masonic Ordcrcarrles it back to the
days of Solomon's Temple and actual
historical evidence exists of Masonic
organization in England and on tho
Continent at least as far back as five
hundred years ago. During all the
tlmo of its existence It has claimed this
privilege and honor of laying corner
stones and thus appropriated that field
into which none of the modern orders
of more recent origin have attempted
The reason that modern speculative
Free Masons, very few of- whom have
any actual knowledge or skill In hand
ling tho working tools of an operative
Mason, arc called upon for tho per
formance of thoso public ceremonials
Is that tho Free Masonry of today is
tho direct outgrowth of actual Oper
ative Masonry, made up of men who
shaped tho rough ashlars Into smooth
stones; laid thorn in courses in the edi
fice; ornamented It with suitable de
signs or as Masters acted as overseers
of the work. The change from tins
systqm of opcratlvo Masonry to tho
modern form occurred some three hun
dred years or more ago. At that tlmo
tho guilds of Masons In England and
Scotland began to admit into their
Lodges gentlemen of distincttaon as
honorary members. They also elected
men of title and rank to act as patrons
of thejOrder. This, system ofjiqnorary
membership became quite popular until
'tho number of - non-operative becamo
so great and their influonce, by reason
of their high standing in society, so
strong that they began to and did or
ganize Lodges of speculatho Masons in
which membership was open to thoso
who were not actual workers.
Theso speculative Lodges retained
the system of instruction and the
method of government together with
tho means of recognition by signs and
passwords that had been In vogue In
tho operative Lodges. Each imple
ment of Masonry had Its special alio
gorical lesson. The Lodges had their
Masters, Wardens, Deacons, whose
duties were almost Identical with thoso
of the older Lodges. They received be
ginners as apprentices; after a certain
period of probation and instruction
they wero made craftsmen; and with
still further knowledge, experience and
Washington County's First
probation they wero made Masteis or
Just when tho operatlvo Mason
bogan to observo tho customs
o fplaclng tho corner stono upon
which tho building was to bo
constructed In its place with special
ceremonials Is not at all positively
known but undoubtedly had its origin
In that era of church, castlo nnd palaco
building which mark tho days of the
upheaval from tho darkness of tho mid
dlo ages. Thero Is historical ovldence
to show that tho craft who wero em
ployed upon these great buildings were
divided regularly into various classes,
each vylth Its appropriate duties nnd all
WvM A - T V i
TEN CENTS A WEEK
under a discipline more or lesi strict.
Tho remarkable resemblance between
thesn Masonic guilds or associations of
five or six hundred years ago and tho
modern trades unions and labor orga
nizations of today has been often not
iced and commented upon but tho
limited space for this article will pre
vent my tracing theso resemblances.
The custom of placing tho corner
stono at tho North East angle of the
building Is comparatively modern as it
was indiscriminately placed at any
corner to suit tho convenience of tho
work until at least quite modern times
but it is now a settled custom to place
It in that position and one. of tho les
sons of tho Masonic degrees is based on
Most of thcpublicbuildings of the Un
ited States and other countries where
Fieo Masonry flourishes have had
tho coi ner stones laid by the Masonic
Craft and the most distinguished men
who hae been members of tho Ordei'
have at various times participated in
It Is especially appiopriate that hero
In the city of Marietta tho corner stone
of this public building should bo laid
by the Masonic Order for in this very
city was laid, by American Union
Lodge No. 1, the corner stone of that
magnificent Masonic edifice which lias
been constructed in the State of Ohio
which is made up of over five hundred
Masonic Lodgo rooms and gives shelter
to nearly fifty thousand worthy Master
Masons and we may well hope that as
our Masonic Order has thus been laid
in this city upon so stable a founda
tion that the shock of tho elements and
the violence of manhasnot been able to
shako its beautiful superstructure, so
this buidlng which is to be erected on
tho corner stono about to be laid shall
withstand the ravages of time and bo
handed down to the future generations
who shall make their homes In this
beautiful city as a monument to tho
enterprise of tho citizens of Marietta,
and Washington county of today.
Will Not Consider. Any Demands of the
By Associated Press.
Chicago, Ills.., April 8. The Unite!
States Steel Corporation today Indicat
ed its position in the marine engineers'
strike by a clear cut Intimation to thu -Marino
Engineers' Benevolent Associa
tion that it would not consider any
demands upon tho part of the Engin
eers Union; that its boats would bo
taken out of the Lake Carriers' Asso
ciation and if tho employes of tho
Court House, Erected In,i799.
Steel Corporation desired to tako up
any grievances, they would be respect
fully received and tho grievances taken
under consideration. Tho right of tho
Engineers' Union to say whether boats
belonging to the steel trust should bo
enrolled In tho Lake Carriers Associa
tion or not was flatly disclaimed.
It was reported today that President
Uhlor had decided to withdraw his
boycott on tho Lake Carriers 'and al
low members of tho union to treat di
rectly with their employers without re
gard to membership In thut organiza
tion. If such action Is taken the ma
jority of engineers will bo at work to-morrow.
xml | txt