The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Southern journal.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

The Southern journal. : (Monticello, Miss.) 184?-18??
Place of publication:
Monticello, Miss.
Geographic coverage:
  • Monticello, Lawrence, Mississippi  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
  • Brookhaven, Lincoln, Mississippi  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Cohea & Gouveneaux
Dates of publication:
  • English
  • Lawrence County (Miss.)--Newspapers.
  • Mississippi--Lawrence County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01219449
  • Mississippi--Monticello.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01219387
  • Monticello (Miss.)--Newspapers.
  • Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Description based on: Vol. 6, no. 48 (June 13, 1846).
sn 87090125
Related Links:
View complete holdings information
First Issue Last Issue

The Southern journal. June 10, 1845 , Image 1


Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Southern Journal

Located in the hilly, yellow pine woods of south-central Mississippi, Lawrence County was established in 1814 when the region was still part of the Mississippi Territory. Cotton, and later yellow pine timber, were major commodities produced in the area. The county seat, Monticello,became a prosperous steamboat stop on the Pearl River. Prominent town resident, Charles Lynch, served a full term as the state's eleventh governor (1836-38).

The first edition of the Southern Journal was published in 1841 in Monticello. By 1845, the newspaper was co-edited by George Cohea and Charles Gouveneaux. Cohea had been co-editor of The Pearl River Banner, (1837-39), a Whig paper; however, The Southern Journal unequivocally supported the Democratic Party. Perhaps in response to the United States' tensions with Mexico, a motto appeared in March 1846, "Unswayed by Power, we Battle in our Country's Cause." Lawyer Squire W. Dale served as the Journal's editor in the 1860s; it is during his tenure that the Journal became the "Official Paper of Lawrence County." Dale later served as editor of the Monticello Advocate (1872-182?), until his death in April 1882 when a tornado, which devastated much of the town, killed him. No known issues of the Southern Journal exist after April 1866.

Four pages long and printed weekly, each issue usually contained general intelligence articles, editorials, moral lessons, poetry, letters, announcements, advertisements, and current news. The Journal published legal notices including one that ran for several weeks in Fall 1845, for the sale of land belonging to recently deceased Harmon Runnels. Runnels was one of Monticello's founders and father of Mississippi's ninth governor, Hiram G. Runnels (1833-35). An example of local news, Monticello's town ordinance appeared in the May 9, 1846 issue which included rule 20, "…that if any person or persons shall, within the Corporation, ride a horse or mule faster than an ordinary gallop, [they] shall be liable to a fine of one dollar …." Reports on improvements to navigation on the Pearl River was another topic of local concern covered in the paper. On a national level, the Journal was full of news about the admission of Texas into the Union and the ensuing Mexican-American War (1846-48).

Provided by: Mississippi Department of Archives and History