Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Nevada County picayune. (Prescott, Nev. County, Ark.) 1885-1???
Prescott, Nev. County, Ark. (1885-1???)
- Nevada County picayune. : (Prescott, Nev. County, Ark.) 1885-1???
- Place of publication:
- Prescott, Nev. County, Ark.
- Geographic coverage:
- J.W. Gardner
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 8, no. 27 (Oct. 8, 1885)-
- Arkansas--Nevada County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216905
- Nevada County (Ark.)--Newspapers.
- Prescott (Ark.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Merged with: Weekly times (Prescott, Ark.) (non-extant), to form: Times-picayune (Prescott, Ark.).
- Numbering is irregular.
- sn 87091048
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Nevada Picayune, The Times-Picayune, Daily Picayune, The Nevada County Picayune, and Prescott clipper.
Before the Iron Mountain Railway reached Southwest Arkansas, Nevada County was primarily a sparsely populated agricultural settlement near the Little Missouri River. It was the 63rd county in Arkansas, formed during Reconstruction from lands previously in Hempstead, Ouachita, and Columbia counties. Prescott, the county seat, is 100 miles southwest of Little Rock.
The first post office opened in Prescott in November 1873. Two years later, The Prescott Banner, Nevada County's first newspaper, was established by brothers, Eugene E. and W. B. White. Over the next two years, the paper's name changed three times, from The Prescott Banner to the Prescott Clipper. Eugene E. White also opened the Nevada Picayune on February 14, 1878 as editor. He remained until he left for Hot Springs in 1883 to open the Daily Herald. At that point, his brother, W. B. White, took over the paper.
The Nevada Picayune was both a democratic and populist paper over its tenure. It had a seven-column folio and was printed on Wednesdays and Saturdays. In January 1906, editor C. B. Andrews lost everything in a fire that destroyed the newspaper office. Employing the honor system, Andrews asked all subscribers and debtors to contact him. He reopened the Picayune in the Brooks building on East Front Street.
The most notable Picayune employee was Fredrick W. Allsopp. He worked for free at the Nevada County Picayune for thirteen weeks in the printing department before moving to Little Rock to begin his 40-year career at The Arkansas Gazette. From the mailroom, Allsopp worked his way up to Secretary and Business Manager of the statewide newspaper before building a hotel, opening a bookstore, and publishing five books.
The Nevada Picayune closed its doors in September 2018, after 140 years of publication.
Provided by: Arkansas State Archives