Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1949 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Newark post. (Newark, Del.) 1910-1969
Newark, Del. (1910-1969)
- Newark post. : (Newark, Del.) 1910-1969
- Place of publication:
- Newark, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- E.C. Johnson
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 26, 1910)-v. 59, no. 39 (Nov. 6, 1969).
- Newark (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 88053005
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Newark Post was founded by Everett C. Johnson in 1910 with the motto, "Good Roads, Flowers, Parks, Better Schools, Trees, Pure Water, Fresh Air and Sunshine for Somebody and Work for Somebody." Serving Newark, Delaware, the Republican paper, was published every Wednesday and was originally located on the corner of Main Street and South College Avenue. Johnson was a native of Sussex County and became interested in journalism during his years as a student at the University of Delaware. In addition to editing and publishing the Newark Post, Johnson was elected to the state legislature in 1910. In 1916, Johnson established the Press of Kells, a fine printing shop, and constructed a building at the corner of South College Avenue and Park Place to house both the print shop and the Newark Post.
Following Johnson's death in 1926, his wife, Louise Staton Johnson, continued as editor and owner until 1935. After a series of owners, Richard Ware purchased the Newark Post in 1930 and continued as sole owner until 1969. In 1963, the Newark Weekly had begun publication under owner Reginald Rockwell. In 1970, the two papers merged to become the Weekly Post. In 1972, the Post attempted to launch a daily edition, but it proved unsuccessful and the paper reverted to weekly publication. In 1976, the Weekly Post was purchased by Whitney Communications Corporation which continues ownership today through the Chesapeake Publishing Corporation.
By 1980, the Weekly Post had shifted away from local news coverage to focusing mainly advertisements. In June 1985, the NewArk Post was revived and became a free weekly, but four years later, the newspaper was renamed the Post and returned to paid circulation. In June 1993, the Newark Post resumed publication under its original name, to reflect a renewed focus on the printing local news. It continues publication under that name through the present.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE