Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Diamond state. (Milford, Del.) 1855-1859
Milford, Del. (1855-1859)
- The Diamond state. : (Milford, Del.) 1855-1859
- Alternative Titles:
- Diamond state and Milford beacon
- Place of publication:
- Milford, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Mahan Bros.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1855; ceased in 1859?
- Milford (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: New ser., vol. 1, no. 11 (July 13, 1855).
- sn 88053041
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Milford Beacon and The Diamond State
John H. Emerson founded the Milford Beacon in Milford, Delaware, in 1848. Emerson later published the Union in Denton, Maryland, and was also associated with Henry C. Conrad in the establishment of the Morning News in Wilmington, Delaware. In 1851, Emerson sold the Beacon to J. Hart Conrad of Philadelphia. Following Conrad's death the following year, James B. Mahan, who had previously worked as a foreman and assistant editor, purchased the paper. In addition to publishing the Milford Beacon, Mahan also operated a job printing business.
In the years leading up to the Civil War, the Milford Beacon made its Southern sympathies known, printing stories such as "The Young Rebel: a Tale of the Carolinas." In June 1849, Mahan condemned fellow newspaper editor Francis Vincent for publishing letters from abolitionist Thomas Garrett in the Blue Hen's Chicken. The Milford Beacon also addressed the temperance issue. While its editors never formally identified with any temperance society, they generally approved of the efforts of the movement.
James Mahan invited his brother George to join him as a partner in the Milford Beacon. Under the Mahan Brothers, the name of the newspaper was changed to the Diamond State in 1855, and its offices were relocated to New Castle. By 1857, George Mahan was listed as editor of the Diamond State, while A. Stokes was the proprietor. The Diamond State ceased publication sometime in 1859.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE