About The Newark ledger. (Newark, Del.) 18??-1???
Newark, Del. (18??-1???)
- The Newark ledger. : (Newark, Del.) 18??-1???
- Place of publication:
- Newark, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- L. Theo Esling
- Dates of publication:
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 48 (Aug. 7, 1880).
- sn 88053044
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Saturday Visitor and The Newark Ledger
The first newspaper in Newark, Delaware, the Saturday Visitor, began publication on February 11, 1876. A weekly paper published every Saturday, it was established by J. H. Rowlenson from Centerville, Maryland. The Saturday Visitor noted that it was "Devoted to Local and General News, Agriculture, and Miscellany." While he was considered an able journalist and printer, Rowlenson changed the name of the paper to the Newark Record after publishing only a few issues. Following this transition, Rowlenson sold the paper to J. M. Armstrong from New York City.
Within a year, Armstrong in turn sold the paper to Samuel McCartney of Philadelphia, who changed its name to the Newark Ledger. The first issue under the new title was published on September 18, 1877. Like his predecessors, McCartney also ran into difficulties, and after a year, he sold the newspaper to L. Theodore Esling, an assistant in the Ledger's office.
Esling succeeded in increasing readership by focusing on local news and providing a medium through which local businesses could advertise, while maintaining a subscription cost of $1.50 per year. In addition to publishing the Newark Ledger, Esling also used the printing equipment for job printing and, consequently, was able to supplement income made from the newspaper circulation.
It is unclear when the Newark Ledger ceased publication. Sometime in 1879, however, a competing newspaper, the Delaware Ledger began publishing in Newark. Most likely, the town did not have a large enough population to support two n
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE