About Clayton herald. (Clayton, Del.) 1867-1870
Clayton, Del. (1867-1870)
- Clayton herald. : (Clayton, Del.) 1867-1870
- Place of publication:
- Clayton, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Mrs. R.S. McConaughy
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1867; ceased in 1870?
- Clayton (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 17 (Aug. 17, 1867).
- sn 88053070
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Clayton Herald and The Herald
The Clayton Herald presents a unique history as being possibly the only Delaware newspaper to be founded by a woman. Mrs. R. H. McConaughy started the Herald in Clayton, Delaware, in 1867. The newspaper listed McConaughy as editress and proprietess and had the following motto: "Independent in Everything, Neutral in Nothing."
Published every Saturday and costing subscribers $2 per year, the Clayton Herald included original poetry, selected fiction, and humorous notes. In addition, the newspaper offered devotional readings, foreign news, and a section called "Our Booktable." Also included was a column with information for farmers such as how to start an asparagus bed, and a "Household Dept." featuring recipes.
The Clayton Herald included several stories previously published in other periodicals in addition to national news items. Of particular note is one on the removal of Secretary of War Edwin Stanton in August 1868 that ultimately led to the impeachment of President Andrew Johnson. A Republican newspaper, the Clayton Herald endorsed Schulyer Colfax as the nominee for president in 1868, a nomination that eventually went to Ulysses S. Grant. (Colfax later served as Grant's Vice-President from 1869 until 1873.) McConaughy also tackled local political issues in her editorials. For instance, when a schoolhouse failed to be built, she publicly blamed Democratic "Copperhead" politicians for preventing its construction.
The Clayton Herald operated for approximately two years, after which the paper moved to Smyrna and was renamed the Herald. Owned and published by James W. Spruance and B.F. Blackiston, the Herald continued publication for about one year.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE