Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1943 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Delaware Democrat. (Georgetown, Del.) 1882-1905
Georgetown, Del. (1882-1905)
- The Delaware Democrat. : (Georgetown, Del.) 1882-1905
- Place of publication:
- Georgetown, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Delaware Democrat Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1882; ceased in 1905?
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 26 (July 1, 1882).
- sn 88053072
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Delaware Democrat
The Delaware Democrat was founded in Georgetown, Delaware, and was printed every Saturday. First published on January 7, 1882, by the Delaware Democrat Publishing Company, the Delaware Democrat used equipment acquired from the defunct Delaware Inquirer. The Delaware Democrat Publishing Company consisted of John R. McFee, John H. Paynter, Edwin R. Paynter, and William B. Tomlinson. John H. Paynter was named as editor with Edwin R. Paynter as manager and Charles W. McFee acting as associate.
As the newspaper increased readership, a power press was purchased to replace the old hand-press and increase efficiency. Even with more newspapers competing for readers in the state, the Delaware Democrat was able to increase its circulation and maintain a significant number of subscribers in order to remain financial viable.
As its name implies, the Delaware Democrat was politically Democratic in tone and exerted influence on both the county and state levels. Editions included lists of candidates for Delaware state and county positions as well as news and notifications of Democratic meetings taking place throughout the state.
In addition to political news and information, the Delaware Democrat published traditional news such as railroad times, local grain prices, and the activities of local citizens. In April 1887, editor John H. Paynter was appointed Judge of the Superior Court of Delaware. As a result, Edwin H. Paynter was named editor. In 1905, the Delaware Democrat merged with the Sussex Journal to become the Sussex Journal and Delaware Democrat.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE