About The Wilmingtonian. (Wilmington, Del.) 1882-188?
Wilmington, Del. (1882-188?)
- The Wilmingtonian. : (Wilmington, Del.) 1882-188?
- Place of publication:
- Wilmington, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Royal Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1882.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 4 (Apr. 22, 1882).
- sn 88053098
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Wilmingtonian of Wilmington, Delaware, was founded by Henry C. Snitcher, who served as both editor and proprietor. First published by the Royal Publishing Company on April 1, 1882, the newspaper consisted of four pages with seven columns and was published every Saturday. The Wilmingtonian's offices were initially housed on Orange Street in Wilmington and, by 1887, moved to 211 Shipley Street. The newspaper cost 2 cents per issue or $1 per year for a subscription.
The Wilmingtonian was one of the few newspapers at the time that addressed a wide range of domestic and sanitary issues such as recipes, how girls should marry, the health benefits of seaside resorts, and ways to stimulate hair growth. In fact, the newspaper found that its emphasis on family and domestic issues contributed to its success. The newspaper also included local train times, advertisements, Masonic information, and religious notes. In addition, personal information of Wilmington citizens such as travel and visitors was included.
The Wilmingtonian was politically independent on state and national issues. In local, county, and city politics, the newspaper promoted selecting the best candidate for the position with no regard for political affiliation and included information on and advertisements from candidates of both parties
Snitcher was assisted as editor by J. E. Nicholson until 1884, when the latter relocated to Baltimore. After that time, J. Travers Jones collaborated with Snitcher to edit and publish the newspaper from its new offices on Market Street. It is unclear when the Wilmingtonian ceased publication, although it is known that it was published at least through the beginning of September of 1888.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE