About Delaware farm and home. (Wilmington, Del.) 1885-19??
Wilmington, Del. (1885-19??)
- Delaware farm and home. : (Wilmington, Del.) 1885-19??
- Place of publication:
- Wilmington, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1885.
- Description based on: Vol. 9, no. 50 (Dec. 14, 1893).
- sn 88053137
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Delaware Farm and Home
The Delaware Farm and Home was first published in Dover, Delaware, by Wesley Webb in 1885. Webb later went on to serve as the first president of the newly created State College for Colored Students, now known as Delaware State University.
The Delaware Farm and Home published poetry, short fiction, and local and state news, along with miscellaneous household information such as the use of a good luck horseshoe and the decoration of clam shells. Information related to physiology and good hygiene also appeared. Philadelphia department store owner, John Wanamaker, published an extensive ad in the newspaper describing the latest fashion trends. The newspaper also included advertisements for other Delaware newspapers.
The focus of the weekly paper, however, was the promotion of farming and agriculture in the state. Webb published several articles addressing cooperation among fruit farmers on the peninsula and the duty of the state to assist their efforts. A number articles were related to the Grange organizations throughout Delaware, including the role of women in the Grange movement. The Delaware Farm and Home published reports on the temperance movement, school taxes, farmers as fruit consumers, and exhibitions of flowers and fruits.
The paper also covered livestock farming. A column entitled "Poultry Notes" offered tips such as how to keep 100 hens. The front page of the September 26, 1889 edition was entitled the "Milky Way." It included articles on cheese, butter, how to improve a dairy herd, and how to use milk for chickens.
The Delaware Farm and Home remained in publication for over two decades. It is listed in the 1912 edition of Ayer's directory but was no longer listed in the 1916 edition.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE