Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Delaware farmer. (Milford, Del.) 1883-18??
Milford, Del. (1883-18??)
- The Delaware farmer. : (Milford, Del.) 1883-18??
- Place of publication:
- Milford, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1883?
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 20 (Dec. 28, 1883).
- sn 88053146
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Milford Chronicle and Delaware Farmer
The Milford Chronicle was first published on October 4, 1878, and was the first dollar newspaper issued in the state of Delaware. Founded by Julius E. Scott and Theodore Townsend, the Chronicle was founded as a politically independent newspaper and published weekly on Fridays, originally with four pages.
Prior to moving to Milford, Delaware, Theodore Townsend was a traveling correspondent for newspapers in New York and Philadelphia. On January 1, 1881, Scott sold his share of the partnership to William P. Corsa, the owner of the Peninsular News and Advertiser. To appeal to more rural subscribers, the newspaper was modified around 1882 to become an eight-page paper, with half of the pages being called the Delaware Farmer.
Townsend and Corsa continued publishing until about 1885, when Corsa sold his interest to R. H. Gilman, a representative of the Democratic party. Unhappy with the arrangement, in 1886 Townsend purchased a majority interest in the paper and returned it to nonpartisan reporting. In 1904, Townsend purchased the rival Peninsular News and Advertiser and merged the two papers. The Peninsular News and Advertiser ceased to be a distinct publication, and the Milford Chronicle was incorporated under the Milford Chronicle Publishing Company in 1910. Following Townsend's death in 1936, ownership of the paper passed to his son, G. Marshall Townsend, who continued in that role through the early 1960s. At that time, the Chronicle was one of the nation's largest weekly newspapers, circulating approximately 8,000 copies per week. The Milford Chronicle continued until October 1974, when the name changed to the Chronicle.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE