About The Dover argus and Delaware advertiser. (Dover, Del.) 1804-18??
Dover, Del. (1804-18??)
- The Dover argus and Delaware advertiser. : (Dover, Del.) 1804-18??
- Alternative Titles:
- Dover argus
- Place of publication:
- Dover, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Freeman & Barber
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1804.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 42 (Oct. 24, 1804).
- sn 88053157
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Dover Argus and Delaware Advertiser
The Dover Argus and Delaware Advertiser was established in 1804 and printed by Freeman and Barber. Published in Dover, Delaware, every Wednesday and Saturday, the newspaper's motto was "Here shall the Press the People's Rights maintain, Unaw’d by Influence, and unbrib’d by Gain; Here Patriot Trust its Glorious Precepts dream, Pledg’d to Religion, Liberty, and Law."
The Dover Argus and Delaware Advertiser included both foreign and domestic news. The October 24, 1804 issue included the translation of a speech by French revolutionary politician, Lazare Carnot regarding his opposition to a motion on hereditary government. The newspaper also included news from Paris such as a reprinted letter by the High Chancellor of the Legion of Honor, the attempted poisoning of the exiled King Louis XVIII and the King of Sweden, which London newspapers attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte, and Russia's declaration of war on France. In addition, the Dover Argus and Delaware Advertiser included news from Hamburg, Genoa, and Dunkirk.
The newspaper also reprinted a speech of Connecticut's Governor John Trumbull regarding the Twelfth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution on the election of the President and Vice-President and the role of the Electoral College. In addition, it published news regarding Maryland elections and an extract of a letter from a Lieutenant Pratt to the Inspector of the Army noting that Fort Greene in Georgia had been destroyed by a hurricane.
It is unknown when the Dover Argus and Delaware Advertiser ceased publication.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE