About The Coeur d'Alene press. (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho) 1906-1907
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (1906-1907)
- The Coeur d'Alene press. : (Coeur d'Alene, Idaho) 1906-1907
- Place of publication:
- Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
- Geographic coverage:
- Press Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Aug. 6, 1906)-v.2, no. 87 (Nov. 16, 1907).
- Daily (except Sun.)
- Coeur d'Alene (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Idaho--Coeur d'Alene.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01219982
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Weekly ed.: The Coeur d'Alene press.
- sn 88056096
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Coeur d'Alene Press and Coeur d'Alene Evening Press
Joseph T. Scott published the first issue of Idaho's weekly Coeur d'Alene Press on February 20, 1892. In his salutation, Scott stated, "The people of Kootenai County are here for a purpose: Nature has placed before them crude material for building up a prosperous and wealthy community... and the Press proposes to be one of the factors in this development."
At its inception, the Press identified itself as an "independent Republican paper, supporting the principles of that party so long as it holds to present doctrines." It published weekly on Saturdays, as four pages with seven columns, but by 1906 it published ten pages of content, prompting Scott to make the paper a daily on August 6, 1906. By this time, Scott described the Press as "broad gauge independent, but not neutral. The best interests of Coeur d'Alene and its citizens, regardless of party affiliations, will be advocated and supported by the daily Press."
The Coeur d'Alene Press, published weekdays and Saturdays, ran until 1929, though on November 18, 1907, its name was changed to the Coeur d'Alene Evening Press. The latter appeared daily except Sundays. In 1929, its name reverted to the Coeur d'Alene Press. The new Press appeared daily except holidays, and continues to publish to the present.
The Coeur d'Alene Press reported on the area's natural resources: mining, water, timber, and agriculture. In the late 19th century, Coeur d'Alene was a hub for railroad and steamboat transport, moving mining materials from the valleys of northern Idaho to eastern smelters. The timber boom of the early 1900s offered even more business opportunities, and by 1907 there were permanent laws enacted by the National Forest Reserve to protect forested areas from "big timber companies." In 1909, Coeur d'Alene boasted a population of 9,000, with a number of well-attended public schools, a large public library, and a reputation as a summer resort destination. The Press also reported on news from smaller Kootenai County towns such as Wallace, Harris, Rathdrum, and St. Maries. It contained abundant news related to Spokane, situated 33 miles across the border in Washington and accessible by a one-hour train ride.
The Press also reported on affairs related to Native American groups. In 1909, the reservation lands of the Coeur d'Alene, Spokane, and Flathead nations was opened for settlement, with registration for all three based in Coeur d'Alene. In the course of three weeks, over 300,000 applicants from all over the country visited Coeur d'Alene to put in their names for a claim to this newly available land. After the registration closed, approximately 7,000 "winning" names were selected by random drawing.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society