Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Kadoka press. [volume] (Kadoka, S.D.) 1908-1910
Kadoka, S.D. (1908-1910)
- The Kadoka press. [volume] : (Kadoka, S.D.) 1908-1910
- Place of publication:
- Kadoka, S.D.
- Geographic coverage:
- Durkee & Nellor
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 8, 1908)-v. 3, no. 28 (Nov. 11, 1910).
- Jackson County (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- South Dakota--Jackson County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215542
- Available on microfilm from: State Archives, South Dakota State Historical Society.
- Merged with: Kadoka reporter, to form: Kadoka press and Kadoka reporter.
- sn 88063157
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Kadoka Press
Near the middle of western South Dakota, the town of Kadoka was established in 1906 when the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad extended to that point. In that same year the town's first newspaper, the Kadoka Reporter, was founded in a dugout shelter, where the paper and supplies fell prey to mice and rabbits.
By May 1908 a second paper, the Kadoka Press, was being published by William Durkee and Edward T. Nellor. The five-column, eight-page weekly issue was printed each Friday with a $1.00 yearly subscription rate. The first issue's front page was primarily advertising but also included a letter from a traveler sightseeing in Tacoma, Washington. The paper regularly included political items such as a column titled "The State Capital Chat," which was dedicated to legislative bill updates, petitions, and other legislative or state issues.
Kadoka was located in a remote area with nearly twenty communities or settlements within a 45-mile radius. The town's railroad access created a thriving retail location for incoming settlers and the Lakota people residing in the area. Advertising promoted numerous businesses: hardware, farm machinery, bakery, blacksmith, wagon and machine repair, land company, real estate, confectionery, butcher shop, general merchandise, and a harness shop, as well as banks. One notable advertisement was for a furniture company that included not only furniture repair, but an undertaking department.
Most small-town newspapers include a weekly column featuring news of town boards, businesses, schools, and travels of the local population. The Kadoka Press was no exception. While local items became the primary focus, however, the Press also added national and international stories from cable news sources.
On December 2, 1910, Durkee and Nellor purchased the original Kadoka paper, the Kadoka Reporter, from Frank Coye and Harry Hammond. This paper joined the Press to form the Kadoka Press and Kadoka Reporter. By January 1911, Nellor bought out Durkee's interest and continued publication of what became "The Official Paper of Stanley County and of The Town of Kadoka" by 1914.
In February 1915, Chester N. Leedom became the new owner/editor. The paper was now published under the name of Leedom's business, the Jackson County Publishing Company. During this same time, Stanley County voted to reduce its size, creating Jackson County and Haakon County from its western portion. Kadoka became the seat of Jackson County, and the paper changed to "The Official Paper of Jackson County and the Town of Kadoka."
The Press and Reporter editor, Leedom, was joined by former Press editor Edward T. Nellor in January 1917. The subscription rate increased to $1.50 annually, and the paper consisted of six columns across the eight-page layout. Additional reading material came from serialized novels, including one from November 1917 subtitled "A Thrilling Story of German Intrigue Among the Fierce Hillmen of India during the War"—quite an exciting tale in the middle of World War I.
Nellor and J. R. Fowler purchased the Jackson County Publishing Company from Leedom and became owners and publishers of the Press and Reporter in June 1920. A notice printed in the June 6, 1920 issue stated: "We enter upon our work with the most friendly feeling towards everyone and will devote our efforts entirely to publishing a good newspaper and one of which everyone will be proud of [sic] and glad to give their support to."
The paper updated the publisher's box on August 20, 1920, to include new subscription rates. Jackson County residents could subscribe for $2.00 annually, and anyone outside of the county paid a $2.50 rate. The advertising rates were also listed: 20 cents per single-column inch and, for front page and preferred position, 25 cents per single-column inch. The paper also noted its membership as a Foreign Advertising Representative in the American Press Association.
In 1922, G. J. Zimmer became the next owner/publisher of the Kadoka Press and Kadoka Reporter. Though other owners have come and gone, the current Kadoka Press continues as a weekly publication today.