About The Jennings daily record. [volume] (Jennings, La.) 1900-1903
Jennings, La. (1900-1903)
- The Jennings daily record. [volume] : (Jennings, La.) 1900-1903
- Alternative Titles:
- Jennings record
- Saturday record
- Place of publication:
- Jennings, La.
- Geographic coverage:
- N.L. Miller
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 3, no. 203 (Aug. 28, 1903).
- Began in 1900.
- Daily (except Sun.)
- Jefferson Davis Parish (La.)--Newspapers.
- Jennings (La.)--Newspapers.
- Louisiana--Jefferson Davis Parish.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217776
- Absorbed: Daily times (Jennings, La.). June 1, 1903.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 248 (Oct. 26, 1901).
- Title varies: The Saturday record, Apr. 25, 1903.
- sn 88064676
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Jennings Daily Record
The town of Jennings, Louisiana, was named after Jennings McComb, a contractor for the Southern Pacific Railroad. Its first settler, A. D. McFarlain, arrived there from St. Mary Parish in 1881. Most of its earliest settlers were Midwestern wheat farmers who had been lured to the fertile prairies of southwest Louisiana in the 1880s by land agents and agricultural promoters. These farmers applied their knowledge of grain production to a crop that was well suited to the region’s geography and climate--rice. The North American Land and Timber Company promoted the area further around 1900. Much of Jennings burned in 1901, just one year after it was officially incorporated and the same year that it became the site of the first oil well in Louisiana. Now the seat of Jefferson Davis Parish, Jennings was part of Calcasieu Parish until 1912.
The Jennings Daily Record was published by Nelson L. Miller (1860-1934). Born in Iowa, Miller moved to Cameron Parish in 1891 and began a newspaper, the Lakeside Review, with his father C. F. Miller. In 1896, he moved to Jennings and published the Southern Record, a weekly. The Daily Record, founded in 1900, billed itself as an independent newspaper and the “unofficial organ of the town of Jennings.” It appeared Monday through Friday in four pages and on Saturday in eight pages.
Reporting covered a wide variety of domestic and international topics. Local news focused on the Jennings oil boom and the developing rice market. Agriculture was discussed throughout the paper, but also in special columns such as “Dairy and Poultry” and “Road and Farm Improvement.” Social issues were covered in some detail, including the international labor movement, strikes at local rice mills, and the nationwide temperance crusade. Fiction was printed for readers of all ages, together with illustrated stories on subjects ranging from art and science to sports, fashion, and theater. The Record offered stirring accounts of the Jennings fire of November 4, 1901, and chronicled the subsequent rebuilding of the town. Also of interest are accounts of oil well blowouts and fires, both in Louisiana and in neighboring Texas.
Provided by: Louisiana State University; Baton Rouge, LA