The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Oakes Republican.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
Oakes Republican. : (Oakes, N.D.) 1898-1906
Place of publication:
Oakes, N.D.
Geographic coverage:
  • Oakes, Dickey, North Dakota  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Ed. A. Smith
Dates of publication:
1898-1906
Description:
  • -v. 22, no. 52 (Jan. 18, 1906).
  • Began in 1898.
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • North Dakota--Oakes.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01248959
  • Oakes (N.D.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • "Official paper City of Oakes, County of Dickey."
  • Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Available on microfilm from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
  • Description based on: Vol. 15, no. 32 (Aug. 12, 1898).
LCCN:
sn 88076145
OCLC:
18065383
ISSN:
2475-9880
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Related Links:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Oakes Republican. August 12, 1898 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Oakes Weekly Republican, Oakes Republican, and The Oakes Times

Oakes is a Northern Pacific Railroad (NPRR) townsite that was founded in 1886 and named for Thomas Fletcher Oakes, then General Manager of the NPRR, and its President from 1888-1893.

The first newspaper in the area began in 1883 as the Port Emma Times. The Jim River Journal sold its list to the Port Emma Times in 1885, and the Times moved to Ludden during its boom in 1886 and took on the name the Ludden Times. In 1890, the owners of the Times, C.S. Brown and W.H. Ellis, moved to Oakes, where the Oakes Weekly Republican was born. Ellis and Brown sold their interest in the Republican in 1898 to Ed A. Smith. Smith dropped "weekly" from the title at this time.

Around 1900, Republican editor Ed Smith declared, "The citizens of Oakes are noted for their liberality. They have always spent their money freely whether it was to get a railroad, promote a county fair, coursing meet, horse races or a sugar beet factory. And, as a result Oakes is the best advertised city of its size in the state. The balance of the state may poke a little fun at Oakes for spending a little money on a sugar beet deal, but it would be better grace to give us credit for trying to develop the state at our own expense."

In 1901, the Oakes Republican purchased the Oakes Independent, and in 1902 the paper was sold to F.S. Goddard and Alex R. Wright, then owners of the Ellendale Leader. In 1903, that partnership dissolved, Goddard taking the Leader and Wright the Oakes Republican. Mr. Wright ran the paper from 1903 to 1919, changing the name to the Oakes Times in 1906. Wright explains the name change on page four of the January 25, 1906, edition. He writes, "The name we like better, as it balances better with the name of our city. The word 'Republican' always looked to us a little top-heavy." The subscription price at the time of the name change was $1.50 per year.

In 1919, Wright sold the paper to Roy A. Bast and Edward F. Bassingwaite. Bast passed away in 1924, leaving Bassingwaite in complete control until Harry C. Edblom became co-publisher and half owner in 1928. This partnership flourished until the death of Edblom in the spring of 1961. Bassingwaite again purchased full interest in the Times but passed away the next winter in February 1962.

Provided by: State Historical Society of North Dakota