Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Panama City pilot. (Panama City, Washington County, Fla.) 1907-19??
Panama City, Washington County, Fla. (1907-19??)
- Panama City pilot. : (Panama City, Washington County, Fla.) 1907-19??
- Alternative Titles:
- Place of publication:
- Panama City, Washington County, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- Pilot Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1907.
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 30, 1937)-
- Bay County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Florida--Bay County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01213144
- Florida--Panama City.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206062
- Florida--Washington County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215224
- Panama City (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Washington County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Editor: G.M. West, <1923-1925>.
- The Panama City (FL) Pilot [LCCN: sn88084205] began publishing in Panama City, Florida on May 30, 1907 under the editorship of George M. West. One of the founders of Panama City, West had been born in New York; had worked for the railroad in Wisconsin, where he was admitted to the Wisconsin bar; and, had subsequently acquired a winter home on St. Johns Bay (FL) in Florida's panhandle. The Panama City Pilot was begun to promote the area for development, which it did throughout its run. In 1909, when Panama City was chartered as a municipality, West married for a third time at the age of 63. His bride, Lillian Carlisle West, was 24 and would become the paper's publisher, manager and editor in 1917 as her husband's health declined. She continued to serve as managing editor from his death in 1926 through 1937, when she retired. Mrs. West also managed the St. Andrews Bay (FL) News [LCCN: sn96027205], acquired in 1916, and the Lynn Haven (FL) Free Press [LCCN: sn95047194], acquired in 1926. John Perry, who owned several Florida newspapers, purchased the publishing rights to all three West newspapers in 1937. The St. Andrews Bay News was merged with the Bay County Herald [LCCN: sn95047289], another Perry newspaper, to become the News-Herald [LCCN: sn96027206], and the Panama City Pilot was discontinued at the end of 1941.Panama City, located in Bay County (FL), is the largest city between Florida's capital, Tallahassee (FL), and its western-most city, Pensacola (FL). When the Panama City Pilot began publishing in 1907, St. Andrews (FL) was incorporated, becoming the first city in what became Bay County. In 1908, Atlanta and St. Andrews Bay Railroad (now, ca. 2008, known as the Bayline Railroad) reached Panama City, connecting Atlanta to ports and tourist destinations on the white sand beaches of Florida's Gulf Coast. The railroad, via other railways, linked Panama City to Tallahassee and Pensacola. Panama City was incorporated a year later in 1909. Bay County was formed on July 1, 1913 from portions of Calhoun County (FL), Walton County (FL) and Washington County (FL).--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 88084205
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Panama City Pilot
The Panama City Pilot was inaugurated on May 30, 1907, under the editorship of George M. West. One of the founders of Panama City, West was born in New York and worked for the railroad in Wisconsin, where he was eventually admitted to the state bar. He later acquired a winter home on St. Johns Bay in Florida’s Panhandle. Under West’s direction, the Panama City Pilot sought to promote the economic development of this growing area. In 1908, the Atlanta and St. Andrews Bay Railroad, which linked Atlanta to ports and tourist destinations along the white sand beaches of Florida’s Gulf Coast, passed through Panama City, connecting the town to both Tallahassee and Pensacola.
In 1909, the year Panama City became a municipality, West was married for a third time at the age of 63. His bride, Lillian Carlisle West, was 24 and would become the Pilot’s publisher, manager and editor in 1917 as her husband’s health declined. She continued to serve as managing editor from his death in 1926 through 1937, when she retired. Mrs. West also managed the St. Andrews Bay News, acquired in 1916, and the Lynn Haven Free Press, acquired in 1926.
Provided by: University of Florida