Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1949 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Washington State Library; Olympia, WA
Newspaper Page Text
D. C. McMillan of Northport was transacting
business with the Colville land office Friday.
The new postoffice at Cronins will be instituted
Jan. 1, with Patrick Cronin as the first postmaster.
Everything is now in readiness for serving the
patrons of the Deep Creek section.
Charles Fish has resigned from his position of
superintendent of the Columbia River Gold Min
ing Company and is succeeded by Mr. Kingsley
from Phoenix, B. C, who arrived at Meyers Falls
last Saturday to take up the work.
Charles McKeown has purchased the Harry
Keough farm of 160 acres at White Mud lake for
$4,500, the transaction being made by A. L. Knapp.
Mr. McKeown formerly lived on Bear Creek. His
intention is to further improve the new place.
Leo Wofford of Meyers Falls, who has been in
jail since October on a one year sentence for petty
larceny, was released Saturday on parole by order
of Judge Carey. Report must be made every
month to Assessor Frank Bottorff who was made
The St. Crispin Mining Co., with properties on
Sheep Creek near Northport, has elected H. W.
Brooks president, Oscar A. Behren vice president,
F. C. Smith secretary and treasurer and S. D.
Allen manager. Preparations are being made to
further develop and work the mine.
Mail Carrier Pearson of White, Idaho, narrowly
escaped death last Saturday afternoon while re
turning to his home after carrying the mail to
Newport. He was fired upon from the side of the
road, the bullet striking the horse, which broke
into a run and carried him into White before he
could stop it. No explanation of the affair was
apparent and Mr. Pearson has no idea of the cause.
P. Henrichs of Cronins went to Clarkston Satur
day to settle his business affairs there. He re
ceived $3200 for his holdings and returned yester
day to his Deep Creek ranch. Mr. Henrichs is
perfectly willing, after living in this county six
months, to place his money in Stevens county,
which he says he prefers to any other section in
which he has been.
The Winslow Lumber Company at Orin changed
hands this week. The stock which was formerly
held by Pennsylvania men and some which was
owned by local men has been purchased by Messrs.
B. F. Pierce, J. E. Morgan and R. H. Edwards,
all of Oskosh. Mr. Pierce is now manager for the
company. He is well known here, having bought
factory lumber for the Morgan Lumber Company
of Oskosh for the last five years. C. T. Winslow,
for whom the company was named, retains his
December Commissioners' Meeting
The board of county commissioners met in special
session Monday morning, with all members pres
ent. Regular bills were allowed. Notice was
given to all justices of the peace in the county
that no more cost bills would be allowed unless pro
ceedings were authorized by the prosecuting attor
ney. In the matter of the proposed McKinnon
change in the Bossburg road, upon the surveyor's
report the change was rejected. In matter of
Chamokane creek road the map, profile and field
notes were approved. Mary Aigner at Cusick and
Fred Newton at Scotia were granted retail liquor
licenses, the $400 deposits and bonds having been
properly made and all conditions of the law com
plied with. Bonds of Magnus Olson for constable
at Clayton precinct was approved. Petition for
the Turk road in the southwest corner of the
county was granted, the bond approved and the
survey ordered. Formation of new school districts
and consolidation of districts, as reported by county
superintendent of schools, were approved.
Transportation Is Needed
This year's fruit crop in the Columbia river val-
ley has demonstrated that some means of river
transportation is now necessaary. The tonage has
reached an amout sufficient to justify a boat line
up the river to Kettle Falls. The British Colum
bia & Spokane Railway Co. has been making plans
for putting on a boat line from the mouth of the
Spokane to Rickey rapids. If this is ever pushed
to completion the rich valley south of Kettle
Falls will have opportunity to demonstrate its
wonderful possibilities and startling realities in
fruit production. There is no better fruit land in
the entire country than this river valley, where it
has been demonstrated that an acre of land has
produced a car load of fruit. Some transportation
company will eventually reap a rich harvest by
seizing this opportunity. With the immense
orchards which are being planted and others which
are coming into bearing, the production in a few
years will reach a volume which will bring this
section into wide repute. H. L. Blanchard, one of the
best known institute lecturers in the state, at the
Kettle Falls farmers' institute November sth made
the statement that he had never seen a more ideal
locality in the northwest for dairying, poultry
raising and fruit culture than this upper Columbia
valley. Agitation for transportation facilities is
now pertinent to the growth of the valley.
Articles of incorporation have been filed for the
Lane & Bronson Lumber Co. with $25,000 capital
stock. The saw mill property of Lane & Bronson
one mile southeast of town will be included in the