Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Pine Bluff daily graphic. (Pine Bluff, Ark.) 1893-1942
Pine Bluff, Ark. (1893-1942)
- Pine Bluff daily graphic. : (Pine Bluff, Ark.) 1893-1942
- Alternative Titles:
- Sunday morning graphic
- Place of publication:
- Pine Bluff, Ark.
- Geographic coverage:
- Graphic Print. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 2, 1893)-v. 39, no. 68 (Nov. 10, 1925) ; 39th year, no. 69 (Nov. 11, 1925)-55th year, no. 173 (Mar. 11, 1942).
- Daily (except Monday) Jan. 14, 1908-Mar. 11, 1942
- Jefferson County (Ark.)--Newspapers.
- Pine Bluff (Ark.)--Newspapers.
- On Sunday published as: Sunday morning graphic, Oct. 13, 1895-Dec. 5, 1897.
- Published as: Graphic, Aug. 22, 1941-Mar. 11, 1942.
- Semiweekly eds.: Pine Bluff graphic, Oct. 9, 1895, and: Semi=weekly graphic, Oct. 12, 1895-Nov. 26, 1902, and: Weekly graphic (Pine Bluff, Ark.), Nov. 29, 1902-<May 28, 1904>, and: Pine Bluff weekly graphic (Pine Bluff, Ark.: 1904), <June 4, 1904-Dec. 29, 1906>.
- Weekly eds.: Pine Bluff graphic, Oct. 2, 1893-Oct. 4, 1895, and: Pine Bluff weekly graphic (Pine Bluff, Ark. : 1904), <Apr. 6-Sept. 28, 1907>.
- sn 89051168
- Related Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Pine Bluff weekly graphic, The Pine Bluff graphic, Semi=weekly graphic, Pine Bluff daily graphic, Weekly graphic, and Pine Bluff weekly graphic
Pine Bluff, in Jefferson County, is in the Lower Delta region of central Arkansas. Pine Bluff was originally part of Arkansas Post, the first European settlement in Arkansas. From 1686 to 1821 it was a local government, military, and trade headquarters for French and Spanish colonists, and later, United States settlers. It was important in the early 19th century as a cotton center and port on the Arkansas River, with a Golden Era in the 1880s. By 1890, it was the state's third-largest city. In 1881 the first railroad was constructed, connecting Pine Bluff to Little Rock. Railroads were the largest industry until 1942, when the Pine Bluff Arsenal was built. Though it was an early European establishment with a rich history, floods, drought, and economic depression contributed to the city's decline in the 20th century.
In 1887, late in Pine Bluff's settlement history, Read Fletcher and T. H. Bass started the Pine Bluff Weekly Graphic. Bass acted as business manager and brought his printing press from Redfield to Pine Bluff, where Fletcher worked as editor. He devoted the Graphic to "the material interests of Pine Bluff, Jefferson County, and the state of Arkansas. In politics it will adhere to the time-honored principles of the Democratic Party." The next year Fletcher ran the paper on his own, publishing once a week on Saturdays. Fletcher's hopes for the Graphic eventually came true, but Fletcher moved on to other civil service just a few years after founding the paper. He became a prominent politician, including serving as a member of the state House of Representatives.
In 1888, James "Jim" White Adams bought the paper and expanded it to several editions published throughout the week. The various editions were reflected in the title, with the Graphic printing under the Semi-Weekly, Weekly, and Daily names. The daily edition moved from an evening to a morning paper over the years and appeared every day except for Mondays, with a special Sunday edition. The semi-weekly edition was printed on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The daily and semi-weekly issues were four pages, while the Sunday edition was eight pages.
Like the Graphic's founder, Read Fletcher, James Adams was a politician and he served two terms in the State Senate. He continued as editor and publisher until his sudden death in 1908.
After James Adams' death, his brother, George Adams, took over the Adams Printing Company and continued on with the Graphic. By 1920, George Adams had five machines including a new model No. 14 linotype. The Graphic grew with the town and was successful for years, but finally folded in 1942.
The Adams brothers supported the causes they thought were in the best civic interests of Pine Bluff. The Graphic focused on local and state news, with some reports about major international news, such as the Armistice of 11 November 1918. In 1904, an extra edition updated readers quickly after news came in about election results and fraud accusations in the votes for Arkansas governor ("Wood Concedes Davis a Majority on Face of Return").
Provided by: Arkansas State Archives