The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Nezperce herald.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
The Nezperce herald. : (Nezperce, Idaho) 1900-1957
Place of publication:
Nezperce, Idaho
Geographic coverage:
  • Nezperce, Lewis, Idaho  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
  • Nezperce, Nez Perce, Idaho  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
W.C. Foresman
Dates of publication:
1900-1957
Description:
  • -v. 60, no. 52 (Apr. 11, 1957).
  • Began in Apr. 1900.
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Idaho--Nezperce.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01223684
  • Nezperce (Idaho)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 1 (Apr. 19, 1901).
LCCN:
sn 89055082
OCLC:
19474665
ISSN:
2694-0566
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Related Links:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The Nezperce herald. April 19, 1901 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Nezperce Herald

The area around Nezperce, Idaho was first inhabited by the Niimíipuu people, also known as the Nez Perce. In 1877, the Nez Perce were forced on to reservation lands in violation of the 1855 Treaty of Walla Walla. In 1895 a federal law passed that opened the land on the Nez Perce Reservation to non-native homesteaders. William H. Hammill helped plot the location of the Nezperce townsite and homesteaded the area himself. In 1901 the town was incorporated, taking its name from the land's first inhabitants. The new town grew quickly, soon boasting a store, barber shop, restaurant, hotel, post office, and a newspaper, the Nezperce Herald.

The Nezperce Herald published in Nezperce, Idaho, from 1900-1957. The Herald published weekly on Thursdays with eight pages and six columns. As the official paper of Lewis County, it published legal notices in addition to other local coverage. The Herald chronicled significant regional events, like the evolution of Nez Perce, Shoshone, Clearwater, and Lewis counties over time and the resulting political battles. Local social news was covered in the Herald in addition to local church notices and school happenings. The towns of Nezperce, Ilo, Lewiston, Kamiah, Wallace, Mullen, Cottonwood, Greer, and Alpine all received coverage in the Herald. Some news of the Nez Perce Reservation was reported, but coverage focused more on the land and less on its inhabitants. State politics figured prominently in the Herald's columns. Recurring columns included fiction and poetry features, as well as a women's column.

In 1957 the Herald merged with the Lewis County Register to create the Lewis County Herald, which publishes to this day.

Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society