Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Weiser signal. [volume] (Weiser, Idaho) 1890-1904
Weiser, Idaho (1890-1904)
- The Weiser signal. [volume] : (Weiser, Idaho) 1890-1904
- Alternative Titles:
- Place of publication:
- Weiser, Idaho
- Geographic coverage:
- R.E. Lockwood
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Dec. 18, 1890)-22nd yr., no. 61 (Mar. 30, 1904).
- Semiweekly Apr. 2, 1902-Mar. 30, 1904
- Weiser (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Absorbed: Weiser leader, Sept. 3, 1891.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 89055091
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Weiser Signal and Weiser Semi-Weekly Signal
Permanent settlement of the Weiser area began in the 1860s when a mining boom caused population growth throughout the region. A post office was established in 1866. Fruit production played a significant role in Weiser's history almost since its inception. Orchards of prunes, apples, and other fruits supported Weiser's farmers as early as the 1880s. The town's first newspaper, The Weiser Leader, began publishing in 1882. In 1890, a competitor to the Leader, The Weiser Signal was published by R.E. Lockwood. The paper, published 1890–1902, chronicled early fruit growing and packing efforts, covering topics like pest control and the establishment of a co-operative packing facility. The town's first commercial orchard was established in 1896.
The Signal published weekly on Thursdays with four pages and seven columns. The paper ran with its title flanked by the banners, "Washington County! Land of many resources! Homes for thousands! Hundreds of farms! Millions of saw logs!" and "Washington County! The land of mines! The Seven Devils! The summer district! Mineral, Ruthburg, & Warrens! Wonderful! In the production of rich ore!" In 1902, the publication schedule and title changed to The Weiser Semi-Weekly Signal. The Semi-Weekly published twice a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays with four pages and six columns and published from 1902–1911. From 1912–1913, two editions were published: the Weekly Weiser Signal and The Weiser Daily Signal. From 1913–1925 the paper's semi-weekly publication schedule resumed as the Weiser Semi-Weekly Signal. It then reverted to The Weiser Signal until 1985, when it merged with The Weiser American to become The Weiser Signal-American.
The Signal covered county news in the column "In and About Town." It also covered news from other small local communities, including Mineral, Salubria, Middle Valley, Warrens, Hornet Creek, Dale, Crane Creek, and communities in eastern Oregon. It published local mining news, along with classifieds, legal notices, and columns taken from other Idaho papers like the Salubria Citizen and The Caldwell Tribune. A temperance column and serialized fiction were also regular features. The Signal identified itself as politically neutral and focused on state and local issues. State-wide issues, like the first sessions of Idaho's State Legislature, were covered in the paper alongside local stories, like the rebuilding of Weiser that occurred after the destructive fire of 1890.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society