The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Troy weekly news.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
Troy weekly news. : (Troy, Idaho) 1897-1933
Place of publication:
Troy, Idaho
Geographic coverage:
Publisher:
B.M. Schick
Dates of publication:
1897-1933
Description:
  • Began in 1897; ceased with Nov. 30, 1933 issue.
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Idaho--Troy.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01288656
  • Troy (Idaho)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Description based on: Vol. 10, no. 29 (Jan. 27, 1905).
LCCN:
sn 89055106
OCLC:
19526365
Succeeding Titles:
Related Links:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Troy weekly news. January 27, 1905 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Troy Weekly News

In 1885, J.W. Seat built a sawmill in the area that would become the town of Troy. The lumber industry sustained the settlement in its early days, with the sawmill placing the settlement on a path to become a shipping hub for forest products. John P. Vollmer, an area banker, helped bring the Northern Pacific Railroad to the Palouse region of Idaho and built the settlement's first store. The settlement grew, spurred by the construction of the railroad. The town was officially incorporated in 1892 and named Vollmer. John Vollmer amassed extensive landholdings in the area by foreclosing on properties during the 1893 depression, drawing the ire of other locals. In 1897, a vote was held to rename the town and Troy was chosen.

The Troy Weekly News was published in Troy from 1897–1933. The weekly paper was published and edited by P.L. Orcutt and distributed on Fridays with eight pages and five columns. The Weekly News advertised itself as the official village paper. In 1906, the Latah County Board named the Troy Weekly News the official paper of Latah County. The Weekly News originally identified as a Republican newspaper, but later claimed independent political affiliation. Local social news was covered in the "Local Happenings of the Week" or "Local and Personal" columns. The "Country Correspondence" column covered news in the communities of Howell, Burnt Ridge, Driscoll Ridge, Brickaville, South Driscoll Ridge, and Rawsonville. Local church news was reported in the "Church Notices" column. State news could be found in "Idaho Items." The "News of the Northwest" column had regional stories from Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon. The paper also featured serialized fiction. In 1933, the Troy Weekly News and the Moscow Review were consolidated to form the Moscow News-Review.

Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society