The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The daily star-mirror.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
The daily star-mirror. : (Moscow, Idaho) 1911-1939
Alternative Titles:
  • Sunday morning star-mirror
Place of publication:
Moscow, Idaho
Geographic coverage:
  • Moscow, Latah, Idaho  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
J. Yost & P. Orcutt
Dates of publication:
1911-1939
Description:
  • Vol. 1, no. 1 (Sept. 28, 1911)-v. 31, no. 39 (Oct. 31, 1939).
Frequency:
Daily (except Sun. & hol.)
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Idaho--Moscow.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01230146
  • Moscow (Idaho)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Weekly eds.: Star-mirror (Moscow, Idaho : 1906), Sept. 28, 1911-<1918>, and: Idaho post, <1918>-Jan. 4, 1935, and: Star-mirror (Moscow, Idaho : 1935), Jan. 11, 1935-<1936>.
LCCN:
sn 89055128
OCLC:
19645725
ISSN:
2693-583X
Succeeding Titles:
Related Titles:
Related Links:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The daily star-mirror. September 28, 1911 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Daily Star-Mirror

The Moscow area's first permanent settlers came in 1871 when homesteaders moved to the area – many from Walla Walla, Washington. The settlement, first named Hog Heaven then Paradise Valley, attracted settlers with its abundant grassland and timber. By 1875 a business district was established, and the town was called Moscow. Moscow was incorporated in 1877. In 1885, the Columbia and Palouse Railroad connected Moscow to Connell, Washington. Rail access spurred population growth. In 1889, Idaho's Territorial Legislature decided that the University of Idaho would be located in Moscow – inciting even more growth. The land-grant college opened in 1892, two years after Idaho achieved statehood.

The Daily Star-Mirror was published in Moscow from 1911–1939. The Mirror was established and first edited by John F. Yost and Peter LeDow Orcutt. Yost and Orcutt both had experience in the Idaho newspaper business. Yost published and edited Rathdrum's Silver Blade newspaper for a few years after its founding in 1895. Prior to establishing the Daily Mirror, Orcutt edited the Troy Weekly News. After founding the Mirror, Orcutt purchased Orofino's Clearwater Republican in 1913. As the title indicates, the Star-Mirror was published daily, except Sundays and holidays. It usually had four pages with six columns, with occasional six-page issues. It was the official paper of the town of Moscow, but covered news from Moscow, Coeur d'Alene, Lewiston, Bethel, Potlatch, Harvard, Princeton, Lenville, Joel, Cornwall, and other small communities in addition to news from the University of Idaho in Moscow. Social news was covered in the "Personal Mention" column, with other local news covered in "City News," or "City News in Brief." Church notices were published under "With the Churches." The "Markets" column featured market prices of agricultural commodities. The local weather forecast was also printed. The Star-Mirror was a member of the United Press Associations Service until 1917, then the Associated Press after that. As a member of these press associations, the Star-Mirror carried a significant amount of national news.

In 1939, the Daily Star-Mirror was combined with the Daily News-Review to form the Daily News-Review and Daily Star-Mirror. In 1939 the paper changed its name again to the Daily Idahonian . It published under that title until 1974, when it changed to the Idahonian.

Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society