Newspaper Page Text
OR. E. M. LONG
DENTIST Over White Ac BurchardY Drug Store, Union City, Tenn. Telephone Office 144-2, Reaidence 144-3 DR. E. M. LONG DENTIST Orer White At Burchard'a Drug , Store, Union City, Tenn. Telelphone Office 144-2; Residence 144-3 ith Jin, JkA. - Am, Union City Commercial. esUblished 1890 ConroUdated September 1, 197 West Tennessee Courier, established 1897 1 UNION CITY, TENN, FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15,1912 VOL. 20, NO. 35 DEDICATION OF NfcW CHURCH First Christian Church Congregation of Union City to Hold Important Observance November 24. 'aTMAlESBOME, Commercial 0 NT $SffiS0flAPF TO K nave a Copyniht 1SJ9, bT C. E. Zimmerman Co. No. 44 Of all the unhappy homes, not one in a hundred has a bank account, and not one home in a hundred who has ; a bank'account is unhappy. It seems almost foolish to ' ""jut it off any longer, when it is such a simple, easy mat ter to start a bank account. Old National BanR Union City, Tennessee Ql3 iii Seed Wheats lew Seed Rye Timothy, Red Top, Alfalfa, Clover and All Kinds of Field Seeds. ... . . Ask for our prices before selling your Grain and Hay CHERRY-MOSS GRAIN CO. Union City, Tenn. - ' f 1 TV Udells n iIC.B-...lnwjlrt'.'-.X--"'-- " ---- - - -i -.III .i.t. g-..-.-..--- -WVA , 1 I - - - - - OB THE COMMERCIAL $1.00 and WORTH IT. Cheap Wm Cna fPri mi Is not necessarily the lowest in price the since the valus Is largely determined by quality you receive, and if it is FREE FROM DIRT of all kinds. We guarantee our coal to be of the best quality, and at the end of winter will prove the cheap est, because it will go the farthest. ELVSN COAL. CO, Telephone No. 11. The services accompanying the dedi cation of the new First Christian Church in Union City will be held on Sunday, Nov. 24, in the new building- on Second street, south, with sermon by Rev. W. II. Sheffer, of Memphis. Much has been said of the erection of the handsomo new structure, its architecture, elaborate details, and im posing features, and since these mat ters have been considerably enlarged upon "a little history concerning the society and its organization might be specially interesting. From those who have the records we find that the pastorate began with the ministrations of James Holmes, and in succession followed Elder Ford, H. I). Bantau, E. R. Osborne 1860 to 1SG9. During this period James Creath's meet ing occurred June, 1868. In 1874 Rev. J. H. Roulhac was in charge and a record was made of the baptism of Jennie Friel, W. C. Huff man 1876, W. T. Shelton, 1879-80, T. R. Osborne, one of the most sincerely beloved and universally esteemed men of the church, was pastor until 1889, A. Saunders 1890-93, Dr.Dabney 1893 96, C. C. Brown 1896-97, VV. II. Shef fer 1897-1902, J. A. Reynolds 1902-3, W. J. Shelburne 1903-5, J. J. Castle berry 1905-10, Rev. J. E. Stuart, the present pastor, 1910. Among the influential preachers of the early days was H. D. Bantau. Gen eral Gibbs gave him a lot on Florida avenue, now owned by David Cockrill, known as the Wyatt lot. In the old rec ords is found a record of his compensa tion as follows: For 1853-4, $S0. 70; for 1855, $31.60. The historian could not think this was all he received. But the most of the early preaching as done by what the chronicler called "travel- ng brethren." The First Christian Church was or ized at Republican meeting house Oct. 29, 1848, some few miles west of Union City. In the fifties tha place of wor ship was moved to a schoolhouse three miles northeast of Union City. When the town of Union City was laid out General Gibbs donated to the congre gation a lot in the Gibbs addition, cor ner of Second and Lee streets. Here they built their first house of worship in 1857 or 1858. This was a frame structure facing north with pulpit be tween the two doors. In this house they worshiped until 1862, when the Federal troops destroyed the building, using the material for winter quarters in the furthermost northeastern part of town. After this the congregation wor shiped in the Old Academy on the hill on Florida avenue. It was in this house that the great meeting was held by Jacob Creath of Kentucky, in which 57 members were added. . Under the ministration of Rev. A. Saunders in 1890-93 a part of the mem bership withdrew on account of the in troduction of the organ in the song worship, and the second church was formed. But the church continued to grow. Reference is made to the number of services and methods of looking after the interests of the church. Here follows some comment by the present pastor: J"tuus far hath the lord led us." It is well for us at this juncture of the work to review the way by which we come. It is right to know the struggles, successes of the past,' the failures, that we may be helped by the good and avoid the evils. We cannot review a work like this without seeing the hand of God in the work. We do not go to the past that we may wor ship the heroism or that we may rest in the work of others, but that the past may teach us. I. The Facts of the Beginnings. Beginnings are always full of interest. We usually find a prophecy of the fu ture in the hours of the beginnings. In the beginnings in Genesis we find the intimations of our weakness and the ways of the tempter, but more we find there the promise of God's unfail ing love, so that in these beginnings wo find the promise of the work. Here is the record of the old clerk, James Caldwell: "The following are the names of those who agreed to live together as Christians at Republican Meeting House, on the 29th day of Oc toler, 1848, and give themselves to one another and to the Lord, to-wit:" Then follows the register of nineteen names. Prominently among them are Ciiklwells, Haraldsons, Craigs, Whip pies, Palsgroves, Skinners and Whites. Some of tho records of the meeting have been preserved. One of the first things was a church trial between C. W. Whipple and D. F. Caldwell. Bro. Whipple had gone to law against Bro. Caldwell. Bro. C. was willing to for give, but Bro. Whipple refused to be reconciled. After much work Bro. Whipple was withdrawn from. The church grew and worshipped in a sclioolhouse northeast of Union City, and in 1857 was located in Union City. That year the lot was given by Gen. Gibbs and a frame house was erected on the present site. The frame house faced north on Lee street. This house was torn down by Federal soldiers 'n 1S63. The present house was built in 1867. There were not more than 75 members. Among the teachers who preached for the church are II. I). Bantau, E.R. Osborne, T. B. Osborne, J. H. Roul hac, Saunders, C. C. Brown, Dr. Dab ney, W. H. Sheffer, J. A. Reynolds, W. J. Shelburn, and J. J. Castleberry. Few churches have had a more able ministry. II. What Has the Church Stood For in This Community? Upon this and this alone has depended the growth and influence of tho work. a. I lie all sufficiency of the Word. b. The restoration of New Testa ment Christianity. c. The exaltation of Christ. d. The salvation of all men. It has been evangelistic. It has been a missionary church. Upon this as much as anything else has its success depended. III. What it Has Accomplished. a. It is one of the factors which has assisted in making the community what it is. b. The long list of those who obeyed Jesus Christ under its blessed ministry speaks in eloquent terms of what it has done for men. c. Its influence is being felt in many States. d. It stands to-day upon the shoul ders of those who have gone before. If those who have gone could know or lie interested in earthly things they would say we are doing just what should be done. .The new First Christian Church is without question the most architectur ally beautiful and imposing building in Union City. " The walls arc a combination of red and gray brick, tiimmed in stone, with We Give You More Horse Power for the Dollar in the International Gasoline Engine than you can get in any other make. They can't be excelled in workman ship, material and economy in operat ing. Complete pumping outfits on hand at all times. Bring your wagon any day and get a wagon load of power. We install them and guarantee them. Sold by THE SEEDSMEN See us at the Deering Building Union City, Tenn. cathedral shaped windows, very beau tiful indeed. The building is fashioned in squares, with gabled roof and dome, covered with heavy tin shingles. The front is trimmed with massive Doric stone columns about two-thirds the width in Grecian architecture with ex tensions of smaller designs. The sides of the building conform to the general architectural style and show to uniform advantage. The structural work is of the strongest and best character. The eye beams aud the foundation beams for the dome are of the very heaviest and best steel structure. The frame work is all in keeping with the strength of the building. It is tho very best. From the facade in front the au ditorium is reached through swinging doors, a row of them. The building faces east, and the auditorium faces the pulpit to the northwest, with elevated floor. The church is provided with balconies and Sunday school room to the west, with study, cloak rooms, etc., in the most convenient places. The balconies and side rooms are so ar ranged that when an overllow audience is present the speaker is within easy speaking distance of every person in the church. The interior is white coated. The wainscoting, window casings, stairway and woodwork alto gether are all in dark wood finish, done with artisan skill. There are a number of class rooms, studies, and, if necessary, a kitchen to be used for church luncheons. The windows are vari-colored glass, the baptistry is com plete and the whole is of the very best conception. More than this, the church was built at about two-f'Vds the cost of any other building of exten sive character in Union City, taking into consideration the cost of the work and material. The congregation is one of'the strong est in Union City, numerically and otherwise. The present enrollment has reached 400, and the membership is of the very best character, embracing all classes and kindred spirits, all in com mon engaging in the cause of Christ, worshiping with the spirit and the un derstanding. Some of the best charac ters in Union City, now numbered with the departed, have communed at the church, and the associations surround ing their lives are cherisned in memory and preserved in the archives of the church. The spirit of God has been with the church and Union City has been blessed in manifold ways with the work. The following outline of service will be observed at the church on the occa sion of the dedication, Nov. 24: Sunday school at 9:30. Service at 11 O'clock, with sermon by Rev. W. H. Sheffer. Union Communion service at 3:30 p. m. ' Service at 7:30 p. in., with sermon by Rev. W. II. Sheffer. Chorister, C. V. Jones, ("rbgram of sang service announced next week.) NEWS NOTES. Cholera has broken out among troops at Tchatalja, where the Bulgarian siege continues unrelentingly. Several Turkish positions have been captured. Foreign warships have passed through the Dardanelles and the armored cruis ers Tennessee and Montana have sailed from Philadelphia to protect Ameri cans in the threatened city of Constan tinople. Greek soldiers are erecting camps for 25,000 Turkish prisoners at Salon iki. The unofficial announcement that James Brycc, British Ambassador to the United States, has tendered his resignation and will return to England, is made from Washington. It is stated that his successor will be Sir Cecil Arthur Spring-Rice, now Minister to Stockholm. A meeting of the subcommittee of the House Banking and Currency Com mittee has been called by Chairman Glass, who predicts the early drawing of a substitute for the Vreeland bill embodying the Aldrich plan of cur rency. The American State Department, through Ambassador Leishman, has entered a caveat against the plan of the German government to take over the oil business of that country and stop competition from the United States. The Department of Justice is making strenuous efforts to push to a conclu sion all pending anti-trust prosecutions of the Taft administration before President-elect Wilson and his Attorney General have taken up the reins. Senator-elect James will appear be fore the Mississippi River Commission in St. Louis in the interest of an appro priation sufficient to rebuild the levee in Hickmau and Fulton counties de stroyed by Hood last winter. South Trimble, Clerk of the Nati otniin irimuie, iem oi wis aii" House of Representatives, expressed con a . nauguV belief that an extra seseion of Cons will be called soon after the ir tion to revise the tariff. President-elect Wilson for the first time heard a pulpit tribute paid him as the future executive and listened to his minister invoke divine guidance for his administration. A St. Louis company with $2,500,000 capital proposes to introduce two fleets of refrigerator barges to ply the Mis sissippi river between St. Louis and New Orleans. x Senator Sutherland, on returning to Washington, began the work of 'pro moting the employers' liability meas ure, which he hopes to see enactert the short sess'ion. It's too late to laugh at germs. That day has gone by and there is no medium hiore deadly than the common HOUSE FLY. DAHNKE'S CREAM BREAD is wrapped in GERM-PRObi!' WRAP PERS. - ' . - '