Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Der friedens=bote und Lecha, Northampton, Bucks, Berks und Montgomery Caunties Anzeiger. (Allentaun, Pa.) 1840-1847
Allentaun, Pa. (1840-1847)
- Der friedens=bote und Lecha, Northampton, Bucks, Berks und Montgomery Caunties Anzeiger. : (Allentaun, Pa.) 1840-1847
- Alternative Titles:
- Place of publication:
- Allentaun, Pa.
- Geographic coverage:
- A. Blumer & Gebrüder
- Dates of publication:
- Jahrg. 28, Nr. 1 (8. Jan. 1840)-Jahrg. 35, Nr. 26 (29. Juni 1847).
- Allentown (Pa.)--Newspapers.
- German Americans--Pennsylvania--Newspapers.
- German Americans.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00941308
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 89077900
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Der Friedens=Bote und Lecha
A weekly newspaper with Friedens-Bote ("Messenger of Peace") in its title was published for more than a century in Allentown, Pennsylvania, and for most of its publication history was the leading German-language press in the Lehigh Valley.
It began in 1812 as Der Friedens-Bothe, und Lecha Caunty Anzeiger ("Messenger of Peace and Lehigh County Gazette") under the editorship of Joseph Ehrenfried & Co.; then in 1814 it added the counties of "Northampton, Bucks and Montgomery" to its nameplate ; altered the title to wöchentlicher Anzeiger ("weekly gazette") from 1816 to 1834; adopted the more modern spelling Bote and dropped the word wöchentlicher from 1834 to 1839; and then added "Berks" to its menu of counties from 1840 to 1847. The paper later shortened the nameplate to Allentown Friedens-Bote for more than half a century. It then became simply the Friedens-Bote until going out of business in 1932.
Throughout its long history, the Friedens-Bote billed itself as an independent weekly. It went through a steady succession of ownership combinations, including some individuals who went back and forth with the rival Lecha Patriot newspaper.
The second owner of the Friedens-Bote, Henrich Ebner, also printed broadsides and Fraktur templates during his time at the helm. Members of the Blumer family had a hand in running the newspaper from 1831 through 1860. Circulation was more than 4,500 copies at the end of the Civil War and varied from a reported low of 1,500 (in 1910) to 11,316 (1931) on the eve of its demise.
As was typical for a "newspaper of record" in the 19th century, the Friedens-Bote published a wide range of news, everything from local political disagreements to reports of happenings from around the world. At a time (prior to about 1875) when many other newspapers were printing one-line obituaries, the Friedens-Bote published news about deceased people that gave an extra detail or two. It also attempted to live up to the extra counties listed on its nameplate for several decades; one way it did this was by publishing deaths from those counties.
Provided by: Penn State University Libraries; University Park, PA