Newspaper Page Text
J. H, Kershaw is one ot' our
leading grocery men. For years he has been counted with our town and has carried a full line of groceries and confectioner ies. He isof English blood and his polite and enterprising ways bavo won for him many true and tried friends. The Ouachita Baptist College, at Arkadelphia.is a Co Education al school and is growing under the presidency of .J. W. Conger, who has demonstrated to the people of Arkansas great abili ty as a teacher and manager of the educational interests in the south. It is with pleasure that we call the attention of our readers to his extensive ad in this issue. This school is turning out many worthy sons anddaughters armed for life’s battles. Fordyce Training school.— Elsewhere in this edition of our paper is found an ad calling attention to this school. It is the property of the Little Rock con ference M. E. Church South and is controlled by Prof. J. D-Clery. His every day effort is to install character in his pupils as well as knowledge. We unhesitatingly say the famous Webb Bros, of Tenn. were never more success ful in their work. Prof. Clery is a graduate of that school and under stands boys and girls as but few men do. Give him your sons and daughters and he will give them back men and women indeed. The Prescott Hardware Com pany was organized and began business in 1890 with an author ized stock of $20,000 of which $10,500 are fully paid up. Since its organization it has added a complete stock of furniture, window blinds, windows, doors and a full line of undertakers goods. In their store can be found the largest and most com plete stock of oils, paints and varnisnes in irrescoii. meir saddle, harness and rfcpair out fit is one of the largest in South west Arkansas and the only thin? of the kind in Prescott. Mr. Jno. Lancaster is master of this department. Their large iron warehouse is 30 by 200 feet and literary filled with wagons, buggies and general farming impliments. The present stock holders are Jno. M. Pittman, Jno. M. Milburn, W. B. Waller, J. C. Young, C. C. Ilarnby, Mrs. Julia G. Smoote and Dan Pitt man. We should not forget to mention .Robert S. Stevens, who has put much of his life into this business and helped to make it what it is. Since its organiza tion he has been behind its counters. Dan and Charlie Pitt man are also important factors in the history of this mammoth business. W. F. Evans, the editor of the Times-Picayune, came with his parents from North Alabama in 1859 and settled in LaFayette county, where he was raised un til 1874, when he moved with his mother and brothers to Miller County, near Texarkana. Arkan sas. His father died during the war and rests in a confederate grave. His mother, struggling with poverty and adversity, succeeded in 1 d •'in*' '> latherles s boys to maiihn t. ti« of wh»»in have filled pul; . i • m the M. E. Church South. inoir principle education was ><->cured by hours of hard study ut noon and after a hard day s work had been com pleted (hi the farm. I have known the ni&rning to dawn and still this editor would sit at his desk in search of knowledge. In 1881 he came to Prescott and attended Ansle.y’s Academy. Afterwards ne taught school on a first grade certificate. He al so clerked for S. B. Gee Bros. After his marriage to Miss Eliza Thommasson in 1884, he clerked for E. S. Carson. In 1888 he and J. K. Hamilton were partners in the grocery business. On April 30th he was licensed to preach by the quarterly conference and preached his first sermon at the Methodist church of this place. He joined the Little Rock Con ference and since that time he has served Carolina, Stephens and Waldo circuits; Lonoke, Malvern and Magnolia stations, and served the Prescott two years as presiding elder. Ow ing to continued illness, deaths and many cares, he accepted the position of editor and manager of The Times Picayune last Decern ber. Our motto is “Honesty, purity of heart and life. We have a burning desire for Neva da and Prescott’s highest tem perate and moral good. Lend us a helping hand and we will do our best to give you a payer of which you will not be ashamed. PRESCOTT, ARKANSAS. 69 miles south of kittle Rock and 48 miles north of Texadjana and in the nothern part of Neva da county on Prairie De Ann, rests the little city of Prescott with about 2,000 inhabitants. It was established in the summer of 1873 and since that time it has not ceased to grow. It became unincorporated city in 1876, with W. L. Webb, Mayor; M. .T. Saxon, Marshall; J. W. White sides. Recorder, and Eugene E White Treasurer, with Brad Scott, W. B. Waller, W. A. Bright, D. M. Wadley and Guy Nelson Alderman. The record of our town under the liquor license law was rather a bloody one. More than sixteen of our citizens were killed under the inlluence of drink. For more than twelve years we have been free from open saloons and ihe bloody record of the past has al most gone from the memory ot citizens. Business now is a pleasure. Those who once stagged along our streets under the influence of drink, now come and go without fear of the demon rum. In this issue is found a sketch of each of our business and professional men with a mention of their line of business. Our educational and | moral advantages are more than that offered by many other towns. Our streets are broad land well kept—so perfect is the drainage of our city that within a few hours after a rain the water is gone and the streets dry. Our telephone system con nects office and home, neighbor and friend, and makes our whole ! stale‘Within a whisper of our door* The electric light and water work plant illuminates our Streets and homes, and places water at the door of our kitchen and in our bed rooms. Our church edifices show the moral toneofour community to be of a high order. The Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Cum berland Presbyterian and Chris tian denominations all have houses of their own and worship each Sabbath, and at mid-week in prayer services. Our young people are active and ambitious The Christian Endeavor, Baptist Young People's Union and the Epworth League are marks of their Christian fidelity tor they are all well attended. Ou r school building is shown elsewhere in this issue and a word concern ing this is sufficient here Around our school ground we hear the laughter of hundreds our youths and little ones as they await the hour for study. Our people are ambitious, studious, cultured and religious, *and abreast with the leading and ad vanced issues of our day. HENDRIX COLLEGE. This institution at Conway, Ark., has changed its equipment and affords better and better ad vantages ever year. There is a very large library at the stu dent's command, the laboratory equipment has been recently doubled, and the facilities for teaching chemistry,in particular, are most excellent. The college stresses history, political science and pedagogy more than is usual in colleges, and turns out young men with unusal finishing in these departments. „ The students, especially the graduates who have gone out from Hendrix, are her best ad vertisement. Whether in the rank they take in any university or in their success in any pro fession or occupation, or in their qualities of manhood fitting them for noble and useful citizenship. They are almost without excep tion a credit to their alma mater and the college is proud to call attention to them. Certainly there is no better way of judg ing an institution than by the quality of the work it turns out. The Arkadelphia Methodist College whose ad. covers the back of this edition is rapidly coming to the front as one of : Arkansas leading Co-Educat in al centers. President G.C. Jones was born and raised in a college, and is one of Arkansas’best ed ucated men and one of the finest educators in the south. We rre glad to cah your attention to its worth and advantages offered our eastern school. Many sons and daughters leave this school each year ready to meet the issues of a responsible life. OUR CIIURCHS. The M. K. Church South was organized by Rev. P. M. Win burn in 1857. with Rev. B. G. Johnson P. E. The church has grown and develoyed □ to a stioug organization and has not been without a regular pastor, with preaching, every Sunday, since 1878. Its Sunday school, under the management of Wm. Gee as Supt. and his efficient corns of teachers, is one of the1 + 7 best organized and working [Sunday schools in southwest Arkansas. The building is shown elsewnere in this issue by a cut we secured for this edition. The Baptist church was or ganized in 1876, by Elder Jno. Aaron, who now rests from his labors and reaps a saints reward. The people of this denomiuation have done much to make our town what it is. Their pastor preaches to them 2 Sundays in each month. Their Sunday school.under the management of Dr. J. M. Powell,is well attended and is accomplishing much for the young people of that de nomination. We'give elsewhere a cut of their house, which is a splendid picture ol'the budding. The Cumberland Presbyterian church was about the first to be represented in our town. For 25 years they have proved a faith ful band of true and tried Christ ians. Their pastor is with them 2 Sundays in each month; their Sunday school is well attended. G \V. Terry,Supt.. is an able or ganizer and a true Christian. We give a cut which shows taste and neatness in design. N, The Christian was organized in 1881 with Eld. J. C. Mayson pastor. They organized with 16 members, and have grown to 63 members. Their pastor Elder L. C. Willson is from Siloam Springs to Prescott. He divides his time with Prescott and other points, giving his congregation here the 2d Sunday in each month. Bro. Wilson is a close student of the bible and is much beloved by his people. The Sunday school is under the man agement of Guy Nelson as supt is well attended and doing tine work for the yonng people. Mr. Nelson has done much for this denomination. Mrs J. B'Shers is the only living charter mem ber living in town. She is one. of our purest and best women. THE TIMES PICAYUNE. For 20 and 3 .years The Times* Picayune has followed the growth of Prescott, and added its part to the development of our coun ty. While it has under gone different names, and its editors have changed as often, yet it has Sailed under but one flag. It has been under the democratic Uag for these years past. First as the News, afterwards The Picayune. Then absorbing the Paragraph and Democrat, and last, the two on flowing currents of democratic force and power, consolidated Dec. 1, 1899, and The Times and The Picayune became. The Times Picayune, and it assumed its present man agement. Had we space, we would like to drop a rosebud, fresh and fragrant, as a tribute of honor to each of the former editors, for they were all able men with the pen in tne field of literature. Mr. W. 13. White, Hon. E. E. White, J. W.Gardner, Chas E. Shankle, Alse Hunter and J. J. Thomassou, are all till ing their important stations in life, and are men worthy of pos itions and trust. We feel indeed honored in being permitted to follow such a bandofuoble men.