Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Little River news. (Ashdown, Little River County, Ark.) 1897-current
Ashdown, Little River County, Ark. (1897-current)
- The Little River news. : (Ashdown, Little River County, Ark.) 1897-current
- Place of publication:
- Ashdown, Little River County, Ark.
- Geographic coverage:
- Jas. Crooks
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1897.
- Weekly <Oct. 26, 1927>-
- Ashdown (Ark.)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 37 (Dec. 29, 1899).
- sn 90050316
- Preceding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Little River news
The Little River News is located in Ashdown, Little River County, Arkansas, which is in the southwest corner of the state. This agricultural community has rich and fertile land, but its main industry is timber. Early settlers set up timber mills and, with the establishment of the railroad, transportation of goods moved from the river to the more efficient train. The city continued to grow and modernize with electricity, telephones, and gas services being installed across the county. Because of its position between Little River and the Red River, Ashdown has continued to attract industrial and manufacturing businesses, creating a thriving economy.
The Little River News was originally founded in Richmond, Arkansas, in 1888 by W. F. Joyner, with support from the Democrats of the county, as a paper directly opposing another local paper, The Pilot, which was sympathetic to the Populist Party. The Little River News has been credited by Little River County historian Bill Beasley with having "played a great part in defeating the Populist Party in Little River County." R. P. West purchased the paper and moved it from Richmond to Ashdown in 1892, where the name changed to the Ashdown Herald. In 1897, brothers O. T. and F. M. Graves purchased the Herald and changed the name back to the original Little River News. The brothers served as publishers for many years, and in 1908 the paper changed from a weekly to a semi-weekly publication. Before moving to Ashdown and purchasing the paper with his brother, O. T. Graves was in partnership with J. L. Cannon, and served alongside Cannon as editor and publisher of The De Queen Bee in Sevier County, Arkansas. After spending two years in Kansas City, O. T. Graves returned to Ashdown, and in partnership with L. E. Quinn, purchased The Little River News. He served as manager and editor of the paper. In 1912 Quinn retired, selling his interest to F. M. Graves who, once again, shared ownership of the press with his brother.
Today, The Little River News is still in production and is considered the oldest business institution in Little River County. In 1975 The Foreman Sun (1898-1974) consolidated with the Little River News and is currently published weekly on Thursdays.
Provided by: Arkansas State Archives