OCR Interpretation


The Fort Apache scout. [volume] (Whiteriver, Ariz.) 1962-current, July 01, 1962, Image 6

Image and text provided by Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records; Phoenix, AZ

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90051719/1962-07-01/ed-1/seq-6/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for Page 6

Page 6
‘Dtecawi. .
PARADISE CREEK A
summer youth camp for Apache
youngsters has been in effect
now on the Fort Apache Res
ervation since the summer of
1956.
Then, as now, it has been
described as “an experience in
the development of human and
natural resources.”
The program is designed to
provide employment, economic
improvement, and opportunity
for social development for jun
ior and senior high school and
post-high school youths.
At the same time, the Apache
Tribe is benefitted through the
development and conservation
of natural resources of the res
ervation. A study of the history
of the youth camp project
shows how well these goals are
being achieved.
DURING THE SPRING of
1956, the Tribal Council Branch
of Land Operations, and Branch
of Education, under the lead
ership of Superintendent Haw
ley, initiated the program.
Mr.- Hawley had recognized
the need of Indian youths on
this and other reservations on
which he had worked.
The cooperation of the tribe
and BIA Agencies provided him
with the opportunity to realize
these plans.
Camping A Paradise Creek
the PROGRAM began in the
Amos Wash area, west of Fort
Apache, was moved to Smith
Park and the Hawley Lake
area, and then to the present
location at Paradise Park.
Girls did not participate in
the program until the summer
of 1958. Their camp was located
at Theodore Roosevelt School
until June of 1962, when it was
moved to the scout camp near
Blue Lake.
The 1956 boys’ camp consist
ed of prefab buildings for cook
shack and dining hall, and four
16’ x 16’ tents for sleeping
quarters. Sanitary facilites were
constructed army style.
Boys rose at 6 a.m., perform
ed required duties, participated
in calisthentics, and had break
fast. Working hours in the field
began at 8:00 a.m. and lasted
Building Trout Dams at Paradise Creek
;: JHb-' - g?^ r
%JPf ™■ • V^jBHWWWB^JpSiy
in 1 r, ILgly* Wiim - yaH i
h9BhPKmR Lftl 1
fP jpj im
• * A'' -? t «■- ‘
HBt,- f h*jo6St^tSM. •?’ • fr*' ks. > > *w
■ Mi f ll t f rv* l < . * 9 V4l - itl v Mi ■ \*r
1I1«L -wrap • 1 MSBlßgml iS ' ; «dfr UWii wLi *W"W ;
HWw Mi ™ ■ ft
j||| p
® 8 8 'tß Ell
HI ■■ ' ,*%*
until 5:00 p.m. under the super
vision of the technical advisor.
Upon returning to camp in
the evening the boys prepared
supper. After supper they par
ticipated in athletic events,
such as, softball and football,
under the supervision of camp
advisor.
The boys were allowed to go
home every other weekend.
TO MAINTAIN interest while
at work, boys were rotated from
job to job. Morale was high
and only two boys failed to
finish the ten weeks’ program.
More boys wished to attend
than the program would accom
modate and the camp was com
pleted with a full enrollment.
The first camp session set
the pattern for those to follow
in terms of work achievement.
During that first summer 24
The Fort Apache Scout
dams of various types were con
structed. Twenty-three other
structures for erosion control
were installed. Juniper control
was effected over 820 acres.
486 acres were seeded to Blue
Gamma Grass. Fills and cuts
were seeded with Vine Mesquite
Grass for erosion control.
While the camp site was at
the Smith Park Area the boys
assisted in preparing the lake
site for Hawley Lake. At the
Paradise Park area, work pro
jects consists of timber im
provement, including the prun
ing and thinning of young trees
and the piling' of underbrush
building of dams on Paradise
Creek, road improvement, camp
ground improvement, log cut
ting, and camp projects in
special skills.
THE PARADISE Creek camp
site is being developed into a
permanent youth camp area.
Construction of “A” frame cab
ins, to replace temporary tent
lodgings, was begun in the
summer of 1961. Other frame
buildings include a kitchen and
storage structures.
The camp is located in a
wooded area on the banks of
Paradise Creek. This location
places the boys in a forest pro
viding work opportunities for
years to come, as well as ample
opportunity for outdoor recre
ation.
The scout camp now being
used by the girls, provides ade
quate housing of a permanent
nature. There are eleven sleep
'
ing cabins with fireplaces, a
shower building, and a large
central building.
This latter building houses
the kitchen and dining hall and
provides space for work pro
jects, hobby activities and re
creation.
Camps opened this summer
on Monday, June 4. The first
session terminated on June
29. The second session, with
new enrollees, started on July
9 and ends August 3.
Changes were made in the
supervisory staff for the youth
camps this year. The help of
more personnel from Theodore
Roosevelt School was enlisted.
Plans were made to use these
people in supervising camp
work projects, apart from the
forestry phase, and in conduct
ing academic training and hob
by projects.
The camp program for boys
this year has much to offer the
youths enrolled. Weekdays be
gin with reveille at 6:00 a.m.
Roll call and salute to the flag
are held at 6:15, followed by
ten minutes of calisthenics. The
boys then prepare for breakfast
which is served at 7:00.
A new feature has been add
ed to the program this year in
the form of academic studies. A
one hour study period, supervis
ed by teacher personnel, is held
from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m.
Work call is now at 9:00 a.m.
Noon lunch break is from 11:30
to 12:30. After lunch the boys
return to work until 4:30. Work
Inside an 'A-Frame' . . . Contented Boys at Paradise Camp
c 4
Summer
performed has already been de
scribed in this article.
Supper is served at 4:45. A
special flag lowering service,
followed by roll call, is held at
5:30. Boys participate in sports
activities until 7:00 p.m.
These activities include base
ball, volleyball, football, horse
shoes, fishing, and hiking. A
movie, sometimes a double fea
ture, is shown one night each
week at camp. Hobby groups
are to be started as soon as
supplies arrive.
LIGHTS ARE OUT at 9:00
p.m., followed by bed check at
9:15.
Students are in camp two
weekends of each period. They
return home on the second
weekend.
The first Saturday and Sun
day in camp of this year was
full of activity for the boys.
They took an excursion to the
Petrified Forest and Painted
Desert, paid a social call at the
girls’ camp, and took in a movie
at McNary.
(Next Month, the
Girls Camp.)
July, 1962

xml | txt