Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records; Phoenix, AZ
Newspaper Page Text
FIRST HALF CENTURY Cibecue Mission Marks Fiftieth Year By Rev. Arthur C. Krueger CIBECUE— In the spring of the year, fifty years ago, a tall Apa che Indian, who had formerly served with honors in the Unit ed States Army as a Scout, was directing seven other Apaches at Lower Cibecue in the manu facture of adobe bricks, an oc cupation strange to these peo ple in the “Valley of the Red Soil”. This man was “Deyulsall stha”, or John Enfield, or Z-9. The other seven were “Cegoon” Bland Tessay, “Nakegay” Jack Johnson, “Chikleghay” Keys Duryea, “Eskikahay” Pedro Patterson, “Clylatenay” John Williams, “Datthholthohuggay” John Lupe and “Toozhay” Ben Teasley. Christmas Trees . . (Cont’d from Page 1) rounding the motel is thick with the cut trees. One of the trees grown on the Reservation can be seen in all its glory in the main lobby of the main office of the Ist Na tional Bank of Arizona in Phoe nix. A 24-foot blue spruce, the tree was specially ordered last September by bank officials from the Tribe through offi cials of Southwest Forest In dustries. While all of the trees har vested are wild-grown, the suc cess of the annual Christmas project has Tribal officials pon dering plans to establish tree farms on the Reservation solely for the Christmas trade. e. Jdr the Holiday Season ! /CN Southwest Forest Industries . . ■ - - - When fifteen-thousand “ado bes” were made they were layed, one on top of the other, in adobe mud, until there arose two buildings, one was a House of God, the other, a house for the man of God. And so began the work of the Lutheran Apache Mission at Cibecue. In the fall of that year, there were sitting around a table, sev en feet long and two feet wide, on wooden benches, in the House of Cod, eight children of various ages. The table was covered with blackboard cloth marked off in eight squares, one for each child. Each child had a piece of chalk and a piece of cloth. Mr. Schoenberg, the first teacher in this school, who lived in the house for the man of God, was patiently drilling his eight in the exercises of learning to read, write and cipher. On Sunday the table was used as an altar from which the pas tor dispensed the Bread and Water of Eternal Life. ON DECEMBER 9,1962, fifty years had passed since this small beginning. On that beautiful and mild day five hundred Apaches and non - Apaches, from Cibecue, Whiteriver, East Fork, Carrizo, Show Low, McNary, San Car los, Peridot, Phoenix, Glendale and other places, sat on the hill side across the road from the House of God, to join in songs and thanksgiving to the Ruler of the Universe. All these years He had pro tected Ilis House from the on slaughts of storms and floods The Fort Apache Scout HAWLEY HONORED - Mr. and Mrs. Albert Hawley proudly hold some of the gifts presented them at banquet held in Pinetop last month prior to the former Superintendent’s transfer to new position in Phoenix. The Hawley’s posed with Mary V. Riley and Al’s favorite secretary, Eileen, for this farewell photo. More than 200 Tribal members, Bureau of Indian Affairs officials, friends and others gathered to honor Hawley’s achievements during his 7 years as Superintendent of the Fort Apache Indian Agency. from destruction and ruin. All this time He lived with the people in this area with His comforting Word, the true Gos pel of Salvation, leading the people on the way to eternal life by calling them to faith in Jesus Christ, the Savior. This message was so wonder fully expressed on the jubilee day by the speaker of the day, the Rev. Robert W. Schaller, Zion Lutheran Church, Phoe nix. What has happened in this mission in the last fifty years for which the many friends were glorifying God is now his tory. The enrollment in the school has increased from eight to seventy-two. A modern school was built in 1929 and ex panded to twice its size in 1954. A second preaching station was built in 1931, two and a half miles to the north. The number of people serv ing the mission has increased from two in 1912 to six at pres ent. A church council of five Apaches comprise the adminis tration body. They are: President, James DeHose; Treasurer, Levi De (Cont’d Page 8, Col. 4) December, 1962 TO NEVADA Wesley’s New Assignment SAN CARLOS— Clarence Wes ley, former chairman of the San Carlos Apache Tribal Council, has been appointed as tribal de velopment officer for Indian reservations in Nevada, it was announced this week by Harry L. Stevens, assistant Phoenix Area Director for the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Wesley, who is former presi dent of the National Congress of American Indians, will as sist Indian Agency Superin tendent Dale Baldwin with op erations of economic develop ment with headquarters at Stewart, Nevada. Well known on the Fort Apa che Reservation, Wesley had been chairman of the San Car los Tribal Council for every term except one since 1941. He was defeated in his bid for re-election last spring by the present Chairman, Marvin Mull. Wesley was also the first In dian to serve on the Arizona State Fair Commission and was at one time business manager for the San Carlos Tribal Enter prises.