Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Brunswick times-call. [volume] (Brunswick, Ga.) 1900-1902
Brunswick, Ga. (1900-1902)
- The Brunswick times-call. [volume] : (Brunswick, Ga.) 1900-1902
- Place of publication:
- Brunswick, Ga.
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Began with: Volume 11, number 1 (August 16, 1900); ceased with: volume 11, number 372 (January 10, 1902).
- Daily (except Monday)
- Brunswick (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Glynn County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214157
- Glynn County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Volume 11, number 1 (August 16, 1900) (online surrogate); title from PDF masthead (Digital Library of Georgia, viewed June 14, 2019).
- Formed by the union of: Brunswick times (Brunswick, Ga. : 1889), and: Evening call (Brunswick, Ga.).
- Latest issue consulted: Volume 11, number 372 (January 10, 1902) (online surrogate); (Digital Library of Georgia, viewed July 1, 2019).
- No issue published for April 27, 1901.
- No issue published for November 29, 1901.
- Some enumeration repeated in error.
- sn 90052411
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Brunswick times and The Brunswick times-call
Two short-lived Brunswick, Georgia newspapers, the Breeze and the Morning News, consolidated in January 1889 to form the Brunswick Times under the ownership of the Times Publishing Company. The four-page Democratic paper published daily and within its first year had the largest circulation in the city. The paper consolidated with the competing Evening Advertiser in 1893 and circulated a Brunswick Times-Advertiser edition, before reverted to the Brunswick Times moniker in 1896. Under the leadership of President John E. duBignon, the Brunswick Times became the official organ of Brunswick and Glynn County and by 1897 claimed to be the Georgia paper with the largest circulation south of Savannah.
Brunswick was home to one of the earliest established ports in the United States, and the Brunswick Times reported on the maritime commercial affairs of the city and shipping activities at the Port of Brunswick through the end of the century. The publication also notably covered the news of what is often referred to as the Golden Isles of Georgia, including nearby barrier islands St. Simons Island and Jekyll Island. The latter was home to the Jekyll Island Club, which served as a winter retreat for the wealthy. Club members who received news coverage for their visits included J. P. Morgan, William Rockefeller, and Joseph Pulitzer.
The Times' strongest competitor during this period was the Morning Call. M. J. Parker established the paper circa 1894 as a competing four-page Democratic daily in Brunswick. Arthur H. Leavy took over as editor and publisher of the Morning Call in 1895. The following year, his brother Clarence H. Leavy joined as a co-editor of the retitled Brunswick Call. The Brunswick Times merged with the Brunswick Call in mid-July 1900 and established an arrangement under which the Times circulated as the morning edition and the Call as the evening edition. The two papers shortly consolidated into a single eight-page morning edition retitled the Brunswick Times-Call on August 16, 1900. Arthur H. Leavy of the Call edited the new eight-page newspaper, and Roland A. Mullins of the Times served as the business manager.
Leavy left his position as editor of the Times-Call in June 1901 to establish a competing newspaper, the Brunswick Daily News. Roland A. Mullins maintained management of the Times-Call, but his lease on the publication ended in January 1902 and the paper suspended circulation as a result. The Brunswick News purchased the holdings of the Times-Call and assumed the role of Glynn County's official organ.